Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Sparks wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:27 pm The battery change (to Varta) didn't cure the problem in every case.
A software update of some description cured mine in my last Puma.
it was the BCM....body control module and the same software update fixed my problems so I would recommend to Northy that his dealer applies this module software update before splashing out on a new battery.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Northy8

Post by Northy8 »

Many thanks for the replies
With ask them for the software update on the 29th Dec
Paulwl

Post by Paulwl »

Update on my Puma’s 12V charging fault.

Garage have come back to me and haven’t a clue why it’s happening, so sent data to Ford.
Ford has come back and said to them, changed the bolts on the alternator in the first instance. However they are on back order, and no idea when they will get them.

Ive got a feeling this is going to be a drawn out process.
Puma ST line X 125 MPEV, 73 Reg.
Northy8

Post by Northy8 »

Bought a halfords charger/conditioner just give it a good charge
12 v 6 amp type
Says in mode if agm type use snow symbol
Is that what these puma st use
Thanks
SSCosRS

Post by SSCosRS »

Paulwl - I’ve been absent from the forum since May this year, so playing catch up. Your problem sounds very similar to the one I had, which I recounted in a previous post. The problem was with the DC/DC Converter Control Module, and my local Ford service agent fixed the problem after Ford suggested updating the software, which apparently had completely disappeared from the car!
To update any interested parties, the AGM battery I fitted has not been a problem, and I have had no electrical problems or ‘sleep’ messages since I fitted it. My driving profile has not changed since I last posted; a weekly shopping trip of about 8 miles, with 3 or 4 start-ups each time, and occasional longish trips of between 300 and 500 miles; the car has done just over 5000 miles, and is 27 months old. Despite all the info on the forum about battery performance and the advice of Ford dealers on what periodic mileage is required to keep the battery topped up, I think my usage is going to be challenging to a car with the electrical demands of today’s vehicles. Having said that, my battery charging regime is a bit of a faff. I charge the battery once, sometimes twice weekly when it drops to 60% SOC or thereabouts. The charging system (via Forscan) has been changed from 80 to 85% SOC and battery type changed to AGM. I’m more than happy to do this if it overcomes any reliability issues with the electrical system. Other than that, I love the car, which fits my needs perfectly.
Frozen White, ST Line X, 155 PS Manual
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

I'm surprised Ford would be OK with a change of battery type.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
SSCosRS

Post by SSCosRS »

Rizmo - didn’t tell them! I still have, and maintain, the Rombat in case I need to swap it before a visit to my local dealer. I can’t see why they wouldn’t be ok with an AGM battery, otherwise why would the ability to change battery type be included in the software? Car is out of warranty Sep 24, so I’m willing to take the risk, rather than suffer any operational/reliability issues with the Rombat. I did a fair amount of research before fitting the AGM, and could find no good reason not to replace an Enhanced Flooded with an AGM.
Frozen White, ST Line X, 155 PS Manual
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Screenshot_20231219_225946_Amazon Shopping.jpg

got this bad boy today (early Xmas pressie from the missus 🎅) currently (no pun intended 😉😁) Amazon are doing 15% discount so you get 15 squid off bringing it down to the same price as the smaller unit 👍
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Northy8

Post by Northy8 »

Great info thanks
Where do you purchase forscan
Guessing a case of plugging into the obd2
So you can see the percentage of the battery and other info the car doesn't tell u
LouiseH77

Post by LouiseH77 »

Hi everyone
Had red battery light come on on 15th December. Booked into dealership yesterday. They're saying they can't find an issue even though battery was completely dead and the AA had to recover my car to the dealership. Car a 22 Puma ST - still under warranty. Seriously considering rejecting the car and ending my finance agreement.
Car still with dealership - offered no reason as to why battery completely dead.