Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Vendee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:48 pm
Stoopo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:17 pm Found this on the Canadian Ford site.

The way it’s worded suggests Wi-Fi updates might take days depending on the connection. No mention of needing the engine running.1E5084D8-3798-4187-BC26-195687558D97.png
The issue that many of us have is that we can connect to the Ford servers using the cars Wi-Fi but the server reports that the software is up to date, even though the new software is available for download on your computer. There is no point in going to the dealer because there is nothing wrong with the car..... its Ford's servers.
There’s also the issue of some thinking they need to have the engine running whilst the car downloads the updates via Wi-Fi. Someone on FB left his car running for over an hour on the drive whilst he did an update and the temp gauge hit 120.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:34 pm
There’s also the issue of some thinking they need to have the engine running whilst the car downloads the updates via Wi-Fi. Someone on FB left his car running for over an hour on the drive whilst he did an update and the temp gauge hit 120.
When you did yours did you park up and initiate the download with the engine running, then switch off and it kept downloading?
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

Mine went in today due to the car going in to sleep mode even though we use the car 3 or 4 times a weeks with a 50 mile trip weekly.
Ford contact me at 16.30hrs (after having the car all day) to say the battery is only at 51% and needs to be charged up over night. Cost, £75.00.
I told them, I will charge it myself but a car that is used as much as it is, should not be running its battery down and there's an obvious issue.
£75.00 to plug it in over night when this is a warranty issue.
Full fat ST in fantastic red, pan roof and electric tailgate.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Denty1964 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pma car that is used as much as it is, should not be running its battery down and there's an obvious issue.
Just for comparison my ST in the just under 9 months Ive had it since new has for the most part only been coming out of my garage once a week for short journeys of around 10 miles in total which consists of 4 starts of the engine.
It has had occasional trips a bit longer, and 3 of around 110 miles and I have not had any problems at all with the battery.
So yes I would agree that yours definitely has an issue.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Denty1964 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:26 pm Mine went in today due to the car going in to sleep mode even though we use the car 3 or 4 times a weeks with a 50 mile trip weekly.
Ford contact me at 16.30hrs (after having the car all day) to say the battery is only at 51% and needs to be charged up over night. Cost, £75.00.
I told them, I will charge it myself but a car that is used as much as it is, should not be running its battery down and there's an obvious issue.
£75.00 to plug it in over night when this is a warranty issue.
What a rip. I would definitely charge the battery at home and change my dealer if possible. I'm sure the battery is only warranted for the first 12 months. Ford can give permission to the dealer to replace it. I would raise the issue with Ford. No harm in trying . Hope you get it sorted soon 👍.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

The dealer said its all covered by the warranty include battery. I guess they just want to go through the formalities before changing the battery? Ford will probably ask if they have followed the checks before paying out for a new one?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Sorry, but this enrages me....£75 for an overnight battery charge is your dealer taking you for a mug? When I had problems on my last Puma the dealer did 2 overnight charges and didn't think to even mention any cost.
If changing dealers is not possible (and you should if it is) make a lot of fuss in the service area. Also make a complaint to Ford CRC. Rant over. :evil: :evil:
Anyway, the problems I had were not cured by any overnight charging, which was short lived. They cured it with a software update in the end.
So far, no problems with the new car (August), even through all the low temps and weeks of short drives...............Touch wood... ;)
Good luck with it all
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

Collected the car with intention to 'have a bit of a go' over trying to charge me £75 to charge the battery. However, when I got there they said we've charged the battery and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I said I hope there's no charge (pardon the pun) they said 'No'.
Anyway, as there doesn't seem to have any problems they asked me to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it happens again.
I informed them that the car is used daily and does a 40 mile trip once a week. This should be more than enough to keep the battery healthy. They repeated, bring it back if it does it again.
I'm sure I will be back.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Well my motor has been parked up since 23/02/24 and I got the deep sleep message after 8 days. We had driven 250 miles before it was parked up.

I’ve checked a few times and it’s still shown me the location and other details but today - three days before we get home - I’m getting this:

IMG_4953.png

Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I’m not hopeful at this stage 🥴