Battery problem update

All Ford Puma related discussions
Tommo56

Post by Tommo56 »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:35 pm My Puma Vignale has stood idle for 5 days. I checked the voltage this morning at the battery terminals which read 12.08 volts. It's been cold and damp for those 5 days. The car started immediately and the pads weren't stuck to the discs.
Luckily, no issues with rombat battery....yet. my voltmeter plugged into the front power socket reported 11.9v, and this is with car idle since Xmas eve. Jumps to 14.9v on engine start. But what's this mention of sticking pads, is it a known issue/defect/ problem that should be rectified? As I did notice the pads release with a clunk as I started rolling this morning (and heard the clunk in the past).
2021.75 Puma, STLineX Vignale, MHEV, 155bhp, 7spDCT, Fantastic Red.
Winter pack, Massage seats, B&O audio, Fixed LED headlights - all standard AFAIK. Accessories fitted: "AAWireless" Android Auto, rubber floor and megabox mats.

BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

@tommo56 pads tend to stick on most cars especially if they're parked for longer periods of time, best to leave car in a low gear with handbrake off (if you're on a level surface) if you're leaving it for an extended period of time.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Think there are other posts on this forum regarding disc and pad issues. Occasionally it happens for me but then it has with every car I've owned over the years. Scored discs however are an issue.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Hunbob

Post by Hunbob »

Hi guys. Sorry taken so long to update. It turned out that my car had already been updated to the latest software so another wasted journey, although did learn that when the garage had done update it stopped error messages which I didn’t even know about. Clearly the problems stem from low charge on what everyone seems to agree is the 12v, so my car is permanently hovering on the threshold of all the usual problems, doors not opening, radio shuts down after couple of minutes etc. I agreed with garage and ford customer service that as I was going on a long 400 mile round trip I would see if that changed things. The mechanic seemed to think that a quick burst down the motorway should fully charge the 12v, so 200 should definitely do the trick. The day after I had done the first 200 miles I got the dreaded message. After I returned completing another motorway trip from Torquay to Swansea I had intermittent problems with the passenger and driver door keyless opening and radio switching off after a couple of minutes, on Boxing Day with the car not used for 2 days another message and every day when we first shot into the car we get a message oh the screen saying system shut down to preserve battery. To me this is pretty compelling evidence that the 12v battery is not charging as it should. The poor quality of the rombat certainly on earlier models like mine a February child that was standing somewhere until lockdown ended tended to mask a bigger problem. The Varta replacement worked great for 3 months then problems started again and battery down to 50% so didn’t fix underlying issue.

My car now going back in garage for 2 days and ford are sending out field engineers to investigate further but I am also looking at returning car under sale of goods, apparently I am only required to give the dealer one opportunity to fix the problem. I’ll let you know what happens next
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

As you are getting the same problems with the Varta and the Rombat it would indicate that the problems people are having are not related to the battery make.
My Rombat was conditioned at the dealer when I was getting the sleep issues the beginning of last year. Since the dealer did that I've had no problems with the Rombat. Even this recent cold spell produced no adverse messages and all systems have worked since.
When the dealer had the car for conditioning the battery they did a system update as well, they cryptically stated that the update would fix the camera recognition problem (it did, a bit) and some other issues.
Who knows what's going on? Ford certainly don't really seem to or aren't admitting anything. Good luck with yours.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

I think it was August when I got the Varta exchange. Since then everything has been fine. So much so that I’ve stopped checking the charge at all.

But when I was regularly checking it I found it better after a short run when I was putting more strain on the battery.

Recently I’ve not had many long runs, have had both heated seats on, air con and heated steering wheel. It’s been parked up since Friday and started first pull this afternoon.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
alanp

Post by alanp »

I’ve just had mine in for its first service, the car has to go back to fix the dash rattle, and they need it for at least a week, maybe a month!, they will be doing the battery reconditioning while they they have it..
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Battery conditioning takes a day or overnight. The dash rattle, if it's the airbag bracket can't be more than a few hours. So why a week to a month. Don't know about you but that seems excessive.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Rizmo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:47 pm Battery conditioning takes a day or overnight. The dash rattle, if it's the airbag bracket can't be more than a few hours. So why a week to a month. Don't know about you but that seems excessive.
I hate the dealers having my car for more than 5 mins
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
alanp

Post by alanp »

Rizmo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:47 pm Battery conditioning takes a day or overnight. The dash rattle, if it's the airbag bracket can't be more than a few hours. So why a week to a month. Don't know about you but that seems excessive.
They also highlighted a leak from the ppf, it actually says the weld is seeping, I can’t remember but the mrs seems to think they said the engine has to come out, but that can’t be right..?…..can it..?
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything