Sshh. Deep Sleep.

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

We've really done this topic to death now haven't we?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:41 pm We've really done this topic to death now haven't we?
Pity Ford haven't!
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Sparks wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:51 pm
Wdf76 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:41 pm We've really done this topic to death now haven't we?
Pity Ford haven't!
See what you did there...😁
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Okay but has anyone tried the hidden diagnosis mode? No not the SYNC hidden menu, but the true diagnostic mode? Press and hold the okay button on the wheel, press and release start button (without depressing the clutch pedal) keeping the 'okay' button held down and you will enter the diagnostic menu, release and scroll through the engineering menu, DTC codes, fuel state, temp, oil condition, battery, dial sweep etc etc.
That way you can check battery state of charge without a meter, static with and without the engine running.
To my surprise it read 11.5v (no load) rising to 14.4volts having switched the engine on.. So is that suggesting my battery on the way out?
Last edited by Rays1 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Rays1 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:52 pm Okay but has anyone tried the hidden diagnosis mode? No not the SYNC hidden menu, but the true diagnostic mode? Press and hold the okay button on the wheel, press and release start button (without depressing the clutch pedal) keeping the 'okay' button held down and you will enter the diagnostic menu, release and scroll through the engineering menu, DTC codes, fuel state, temp, oil condition, battery, dial sweep etc etc.
That way you can check battery state of charge with and without the engine running.
To my surprise (even with deep sleep) it read 11.4volts (no load) rising to 14.3volts having switched the engine on.. so in a word the battery is fine?
Very interesting! Suggests a software issue?

One of my worries about this car is the fact it seems to have so much software at work. It doesn't take much for things to go belly up.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Rossberg

Post by Rossberg »

Yes that's very interesting and useful discovery with respects to the diagnostics mode. My battery reports 11.6v with no load so I guess it is in good condition. I'm heading away soon for a number of weeks, it will be interesting to see how much the voltage drops while it is parked up.
dartiss

Post by dartiss »

My Puma is booked in for a service in a couple of weeks, plus a couple of recalls. I've also mentioned this issue as a warranty issue and will be pushing them for details. I'll report back if I find anything out.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155PS (+factory fit extras) in Fantastic Red
Seth

Post by Seth »

11.X V is not good condition. It's 12V battery, not 11V.
Either this Romanian battery is crap or there is excessive power consumption when idle.
If there's 14+ V after launch it means alternator is ok.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Sorry guys I've just amended my previous post..it's over 12v static no load and 14v + with engine running. I rechecked it using a hand held meter, but in car diagnostic show below 12v. So in theory battery ok! Miss match between car and meter?
Was out today the situation isn't any better.. sitting in the car with Spotify on Android Auto, nothing running, waiting for her indoors. Sync shuts down after around 5mins to preserve battery? Passenger door dead won't lock or open.
Car booked in now at dealership, best I can get is 15th June.
dartiss

Post by dartiss »

Using that hidden diagnostic mode, it's showing my battery at 11.6v. That's not good, right?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155PS (+factory fit extras) in Fantastic Red