Android auto volume

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Yes....The Google assistant reverts, like the cars system, to a default level at each instruction. If you use Waze instead of Google Maps you can alter the volume within the Waze app and this works nicely with the head unit.. Google Maps only lets you alter the volume down to 'Softer, Normal or Louder', this makes no difference to the head unit though.
Still looking for anything that works, so I'll give it another go during today as I'll be out and about in the car.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

TheConsultant

Post by TheConsultant »

Sparks wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am Yes....The Google assistant reverts, like the cars system, to a default level at each instruction. If you use Waze instead of Google Maps you can alter the volume within the Waze app and this works nicely with the head unit.. Google Maps only lets you alter the volume down to 'Softer, Normal or Louder', this makes no difference to the head unit though.
Still looking for anything that works, so I'll give it another go during today as I'll be out and about in the car.
Cheers Sparks. I'll give Waze a go but I prefer the familiarity of Google Maps - my other half has an iPhone so we'll experiment with CarPlay too.

I just find it an absolutely mental decision to make the prompt volume come back on at the same volume every time. What's the point in providing the ability to turn it down in the first place? I find it far too loud for most urban driving and it renders the built-in Nav or Android Auto nav impossible to use if our baby is asleep in the car. :x

Ford have confirmed to me that it's not a bug, but is an intentional design to alleviate customer concerns, apparently - to avoid the nav volume being on zero and being unable to get it back up if you don't know when an instruction is being given. I've driven loads of Ford cars with Sync3 over the years (I usually pick them as rental cars in the US as I'm familiar with the system), and never before have I encountered the prompt volume being effectively unadjustable.

Therefore this appears to be a ham-fisted implementation introduced late in the life of Sync3, especially since the solution to the problem is already covered in the user instructions, which say:
Turn the volume control when a guidance prompt plays to adjust the volume.
Note: If you have inadvertently adjusted the volume to zero, press the turn indicator button to play the last voice prompt and then adjust the volume to the desired level.
Plus there's the voice control you can use to replay an instruction and then turn the volume back up.

Both options, giving the customer a choice, are infinitely superior to the stupid concept of making the prompt volume continuously default to 7.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

:lol: :lol: I think Ford are being economical with the truth. If it was the case of safety etc etc, then it wouldn't work for Waze would it?
Google Maps has the advantage of directions shown on the dash above the speedometer...Waze has the advantage of Volume control, both owned by Google, so you would
thing there could be common ground here eh??? :roll:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.