TDI Digital Tuning Box

All Ford Puma related discussions
andy

Post by andy »

fordpumaAutomatic wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:07 pm
andy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm Hi, has anybody fitted the tuning box to an automatic Puma?
Same question

Does a tuning box kit exist for the Automatic?
TDI-Tuning do not specify that the tuning box is for manual only, in the past I have had one fitted on an automatic Mini and it gave a good increase in power it did not reduce the fuel consumption as much as the manual gearbox though.

paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

I readily admit I know nothing about such devices. So it begs the question, if it's a mere software change, given how much Ford et al must spend on engine development, why would they deliberately de-tune a relatively low powered engine? Cost aside, what is the downside of installing this kind of box? And, insurance aside, would the vehicle's engine management data recording detect this box, and thus invalidate the warranty?
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
fordpumaAutomatic

Post by fordpumaAutomatic »

The Automatic is not a hybrid and doesnt have a small electric motor, kinda scared to use the same version as the hybrid version.
andy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 am
andy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm Hi, has anybody fitted the tuning box to an automatic Puma?
Same question

TDI-Tuning do not specify that the tuning box is for manual only, in the past I have had one fitted on an automatic Mini and it gave a good increase in power it did not reduce the fuel consumption as much as the manual gearbox though.
andy

Post by andy »

fordpumaAutomatic wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:12 am The Automatic is not a hybrid and doesnt have a small electric motor, kinda scared to use the same version as the hybrid version.
andy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 am

Same question

That is a good point it would be probably be best to ask TDI-Tuning first, they do appear to have a tuning box for the Fiesta without hybrid but presumably they have not tested it on the Puma or it would be on the list.
andy

Post by andy »

paulcurtis wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 pm I readily admit I know nothing about such devices. So it begs the question, if it's a mere software change, given how much Ford et al must spend on engine development, why would they deliberately de-tune a relatively low powered engine? Cost aside, what is the downside of installing this kind of box? And, insurance aside, would the vehicle's engine management data recording detect this box, and thus invalidate the warranty?

Manufacturers design their engines for use in lots of countries some of which have poor fuel quality, in Europe we have good fuel quality so it is safe for the engines to be tuned without doing any damage.
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

andy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm
paulcurtis wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:59 pm I readily admit I know nothing about such devices. So it begs the question, if it's a mere software change, given how much Ford et al must spend on engine development, why would they deliberately de-tune a relatively low powered engine? Cost aside, what is the downside of installing this kind of box? And, insurance aside, would the vehicle's engine management data recording detect this box, and thus invalidate the warranty?

Manufacturers design their engines for use in lots of countries some of which have poor fuel quality, in Europe we have good fuel quality so it is safe for the engines to be tuned without doing any damage.
Thanks, but if it's a UK spec car, then they know the kind of fuel it will be using, by and large? The car is designed to run on low-octane fuel, so I am not sure what you mean by 'good fuel quality'?
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black
Luca

Post by Luca »

well, the tuning boxes just modify some input values from the sensors, for example:

your real turbo pressure is 100, it says to your electonic to be 90, so the car gives more pressure to reach value 100, and you get 110 =)

it shouldn't make any difference about the kind of transmission.
andy

Post by andy »

paulcurtis wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:32 pm
andy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks, but if it's a UK spec car, then they know the kind of fuel it will be using, by and large? The car is designed to run on low-octane fuel, so I am not sure what you mean by 'good fuel quality'?

Some countries do not have the quality of fuel that we have ie they do not have the fuel additives that we have, these additives help to reduce the chance of detonation and the additives also help to clean the inside of the engine to keep it running as designed. The engine also has to be used in countries which do not have the octane ratings that the engine was designed for.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

'Some countries do not have the quality of fuel that we have ie they do not have the fuel additives that we have'

.......unless you fill up at Tesco.
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

Wdf76 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 pm 'Some countries do not have the quality of fuel that we have ie they do not have the fuel additives that we have'

.......unless you fill up at Tesco.
When I had my beemers (and my fiesta until about 3 years ago) I always used shell v-power, since then I just fill up at Asda. (Could tell the difference with the Beemers if I couldn’t get v-power)