ST Issues

Ford Puma ST Chat
OrionPuma

Post by OrionPuma »

Hi everyone,

I am a little annoyed at the build quality on the ST. I have seen a few other threads on this and I am starting to get the feeling that the car is poorly made, which is really disappointing.

Issue One:
Gear box - Going into first and third gear, I can feel it's beyond notchy and is deffo catching, to the point it occassionaly, very occasionaly grinds in going up to 3rd from 2nd. I have driven a fair bit over the last few weeks and I am now some how in 600 miles already, but this will now slow right down, as I use my daily! But yeah, really annoying me, I mean I get it notchy, but this is a joke, it's as bad as my 16 year old Aygo!

Issue Two:
Driver slide door trim. Slightly coming away from the door, so will need placing back in.

Issue Three:
I notice at low speed, if the wheel is on right lock, the brakes make a whining sound, not all the time though.

Issue four:
Front wings do not completly align with the doors at bottom of the door, but it's not bad and I am wondering if this is normal?

I really feel like I have gone from some well built fiestas to something really poorly made. Like seriously....

I am booked in with a local dealership to look at the above, but I can't get it in till May. THe dealer I bought from is just going to add, more miles to the car, and I would rather not do that, but not sure what to do tbh.

Thanks

The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Issue One:
Gear box - This is certainly tight / notchy as in you have to follow the gate, but I find it a lovely gearchange myself and have never had a single crunch in 30k miles. I love the way it's still as it was when new.

Issue Two:
Driver slide door trim - Not had any Trim issues at all.

Issue Three - Never had this issue either though several RS3's had similar.

Issue four: - The Puma is weird in that it is the first car i have ever come across where the door skirts are on the doors rather than the sill so is this the issue? Can't say I have any issues with panel alignment at all and I'm cursed with OCD on such things.
Puma ST Agate Black
OrionPuma

Post by OrionPuma »

Yeah, I cant believe it has an issue, this is the first time I have owned a car from new and it's had problems. Phoned the dealer I bought it from and it's going in on Saturday and I am going to deal with the service manager and warrenty tech. 100% something isn't right and it started after about 100 miles. I am good with clutching and gears and I likehow the gear box is, how no matter how gentle I am with the gear change and ensuring I am following the box, it still has an issue. Have no idea how a new car can have this issue straight away. It really has got to me, but hopefully all will be resolved. But good news, it will get addressed and i'll report back what was found.
Smalls82

Post by Smalls82 »

OrionPuma wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:43 pm Hi everyone,

I am a little annoyed at the build quality on the ST. I have seen a few other threads on this and I am starting to get the feeling that the car is poorly made, which is really disappointing.

Issue One:
Gear box - Going into first and third gear, I can feel it's beyond notchy and is deffo catching, to the point it occassionaly, very occasionaly grinds in going up to 3rd from 2nd. I have driven a fair bit over the last few weeks and I am now some how in 600 miles already, but this will now slow right down, as I use my daily! But yeah, really annoying me, I mean I get it notchy, but this is a joke, it's as bad as my 16 year old Aygo!

Issue Two:
Driver slide door trim. Slightly coming away from the door, so will need placing back in.

Issue Three:
I notice at low speed, if the wheel is on right lock, the brakes make a whining sound, not all the time though.

Issue four:
Front wings do not completly align with the doors at bottom of the door, but it's not bad and I am wondering if this is normal?

I really feel like I have gone from some well built fiestas to something really poorly made. Like seriously....

I am booked in with a local dealership to look at the above, but I can't get it in till May. THe dealer I bought from is just going to add, more miles to the car, and I would rather not do that, but not sure what to do tbh.

Thanks
Only issue I’ve had with my Jan 22 ST (17k miles) gearbox is it looses all its positivity and is like stirring treacle when the temperature outside is below 3’c. Soon comes back to normal though after a bit of a drive or the weather warms up.

Post by 4251 »

Issue One:

Issue Two:

Issue Three:

Issue four:

Thanks
You need to chill out! There will be little or nothing wrong with it, Ford will almost certainly send you away with pre rehearsed explanations that all is perfectly normal.

Best advice is STOP constantly looking for issues that just maybe don’t exist. The only one to comment on is the gearbox. I suspect your not pressing the clutch down far enough, they all have a low biting point so it’s likely your not fully disengaging it during gear changes.

The build quality is “small Ford car level” exactly same as Fiesta. ie fairly cheap very average in this segment. Significantly less than mainstream german, Korean and japanese brands and about the same as PSA.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Just to have my pennyworth. I have had mostly Fords my entire life. So must add that in my opinion the build quality is no different to what I have became a customed to. More than acceptable I think. If anything the brake wear on my ST is a little excessive and the exhaust material quality is poor. But other than that all good I think. As for the feel when changing gear, I love it. Made even better with a Mountune gear knob.
OrionPuma

Post by OrionPuma »

4251 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:10 am

Issue One:

Issue Two:

Issue Three:

Issue four:

Thanks
You need to chill out! There will be little or nothing wrong with it, Ford will almost certainly send you away with pre rehearsed explanations that all is perfectly normal.

Best advice is STOP constantly looking for issues that just maybe don’t exist. The only one to comment on is the gearbox. I suspect your not pressing the clutch down far enough, they all have a low biting point so it’s likely your not fully disengaging it during gear changes.

The build quality is “small Ford car level” exactly same as Fiesta. ie fairly cheap very average in this segment. Significantly less than mainstream german, Korean and japanese brands and about the same as PSA.
Well I have owned a number of Fords and on the scale of it, it feels less quality.

In terms of the gears, I am 100% putting my foot to the floor when changing and I can feel something is up with the box. I have driven a lot of cars and vans and I know when something is not right. In terms of the panel, I bet they will say it is within tolerance, but the gearbox will need looking at, as it's not right.

The dealership is very helpful, so we will see how it goes. I think when you have one issue, you do start to doubt other things, which I think is natural. Going in tomorrow, so we shall see.

Post by 4251 »

If there is an issue with the gearbox/clutch; could be either, it will mean a replacement gearbox or clutch. I certainly wouldn’t want that car anymore after your average ford workshop have had it spread all over the floor with the normal accessories left over without a home.
Ntr941

Post by Ntr941 »

Hey, new to forum so apologies in advance if this isnt the right place to post this, I bought a st line 2023 about 2 months ago and have noticed two “issues” (first car ive ever bought new from dealership so praying im just being paranoid) 1 is a weird ticking noise (timing chain?) took too service center and the said its normal because its a 3 cylinder engine. Second weird thing is two red lines on speedometer, unsure what they are and dont see anything about it online or in manual
Picture/video below, if anyone can shed light would be very greatful!

IMG_1144.jpeg

Supertramp

Post by Supertramp »

Touch wood mines been okay just had its second service. I hope it stays that way too. I like the new cactus grey they are bringing out on the new Puma but its too dam dear to swap now - think I prefer using all the knobs instead of a touch screen too I must be old fashioned!!