Chips Away....or not is the question!

Ford Puma ST Chat
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

With the sun finally starting to show its face, my attention turns to touching up the number of small paint chips on my bonnet. Being Black and the primer being white means they have to go. However my question is, has anyone had experience with chips away actually touching up chips?
I ask as last year I contacted my local one about this and they immediately said no, they don 't do chips, the whole bonnet would need spraying. Am I the only one the irony is lost on..."Chips Away" !?? I will probably do it myself as i intend to own it until 5 years old by which time perfect paint won't be a selling issue, but I'm a busy guy and would have just gotten them to do all of them at once.
Puma ST Agate Black

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Used them about 8 years ago (when they did chips). They did the all the bonnet and bumper chips for about 50 quid, doubt it would be that cheap now. The guy did a good job, they are all franchises though so results may differ.
You could try another one fairly local to see if you get another answer. How much were they quoting for the bonnet respray?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

Cheap plug for my brothers company.

https://uptoscratchrepairs.co.uk/nospray.htm

He’s in Tamworth so covers much of midlands if you’re anywhere near.
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Easy reach of me....Bookmarked, cheers.. :D
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

Tell him I sent you - might get a bit of discount.
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Markyb wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:00 pm Tell him I sent you - might get a bit of discount.
Hope he won't be needed, but if he is be sure that I'll name drop..... :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

I enquired with chips away when I had my puma ( also black), they quoted £45 for one chip but said that they would do any others within that price whilst it was in. In the end I did it myself though.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Smalls82

Post by Smalls82 »

Don’t bother with chips away unless you’re doing a quick fix eg for the sale of a car or it’s not worth anything money-wise and not financially viable for a proper fix. As stated from others they are franchised so all will be different levels of quality, but my experience was not great. 3 times back to the car with more and more bodging, at which point I refused to let them touch it again. Orange peel, lacquer flaking off and overspray everywhere. Ended up touching it up, wet and drying it with plenty of polish after to a better finish.