On the lookout for a Puma ST

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

4251 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:03 pmThe performance pack diff makes a big difference with grip, drive and traction out of corners especially when slippery,
I think it is important to say for people who maybe dont fully understand how an LSD works (probably the majority of drivers), that in normal everyday driving it will make precisely zero noticeable difference.
When driving in say a spirited manner on public roads it will certainly have an advantage over the same model of car that is not fitted with one.
It is also true that when driving on slippery surfaces and maybe not being fully respectful with the controls it will have a positive effect...basically saving you from yourself.
An LSD is not some kind of magic thing that will instantly make a bad driver better, but it will enable a competent driver to make more use of their cars performance potential.
There is a certain kudos about being able to say your car has an LSD, but If you just want to drive your car 'normally' then it should not be an important consideration.
I have only ever has one car with a factory fitted LSD...it was a highly performance orientated model but I only drove normally at a fraction of its potential, so the fact that it had an LSD made no difference to me.
We are all different in what we want from our cars and how we want to drive them, so the fact that these options exist is a good thing IMO. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.

Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

👍
Full fat ST in fantastic red, pan roof and electric tailgate.
LePatrick

Post by LePatrick »

Hopefully next weekend, I will try to test drive one with the performance pack and one without and will make up my mind.

In any case, the cars with performance packs seem to command a premium and I am not sure in my use case I need one...unless it is night and day on the limit.

I had cars with LSD in the past but they had far more power...
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

:lol:
Ron240 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:41 pm
4251 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:03 pmThe performance pack diff makes a big difference with grip, drive and traction out of corners especially when slippery,
I think it is important to say for people who maybe dont fully understand how an LSD works (probably the majority of drivers), that in normal everyday driving it will make precisely zero noticeable difference.
When driving in say a spirited manner on public roads it will certainly have an advantage over the same model of car that is not fitted with one.
It is also true that when driving on slippery surfaces and maybe not being fully respectful with the controls it will have a positive effect...basically saving you from yourself.
An LSD is not some kind of magic thing that will instantly make a bad driver better, but it will enable a competent driver to make more use of their cars performance potential.
There is a certain kudos about being able to say your car has an LSD, but If you just want to drive your car 'normally' then it should not be an important consideration.
I have only ever has one car with a factory fitted LSD...it was a highly performance orientated model but I only drove normally at a fraction of its potential, so the fact that it had an LSD made no difference to me.
We are all different in what we want from our cars and how we want to drive them, so the fact that these options exist is a good thing IMO. :)
LSD had a whole different meaning in the 60's.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Rizmo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:29 pm LSD had a whole different meaning in the 60's.
Indeed. :lol:
LePatrick

Post by LePatrick »

the 2 may be combined....

Screenshot 2024-03-18 183614.png

Post by 4251 »

LePatrick wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:10 pm Hopefully next weekend, I will try to test drive one with the performance pack and one without and will make up my mind.

In any case, the cars with performance packs seem to command a premium and I am not sure in my use case I need one...unless it is night and day on the limit.

I had cars with LSD in the past but they had far more power...
Where you really notice a difference with the lsd is coming out of sharp slow low gear corners in slippery conditions. Even driving steadily the near side wheel does lose traction quite easily and the car understeers. More pronounced on the 1.5 ST due to it’s strong low down power/torque. The lsd puts the drive to the outside wheel and provides impressive grip and steering hauling you around and out of the corner, that’s at normal driving speeds, if you push it, it is even more impressive. Plus off the line traction is greatly improved so less scampering etc pulling away, say up a hill. I also have a car without lsd and I can feel a noticeable difference regularly in the above scenarios.
LePatrick

Post by LePatrick »

Ok...finally managed to drive both cars...I went to see one with LSD (the car...not me) at the weekend and one without today. Yes, there is a difference but I don't think it is really pronounced. The car handles beautifully at the limit and I was lucky (on both occasions) to be given the keys without supervision. I think the car needs more power to warrant the LSD. I think another 50bhp.

One last point, I was surprised that both cars I saw had condensation on the rear light. Is it something common? The dealer seems to imply that they all do it...but he had a few pumas that did not have this issue.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

LePatrick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pmOne last point, I was surprised that both cars I saw had condensation on the rear light. Is it something common? The dealer seems to imply that they all do it...but he had a few pumas that did not have this issue.
As far as I know it is very common.
Mine does it and has recently got worse to the point that its not just misting but actual water droplets on the inside of the lens.
It is a fault and should not be happening to this degree.
LePatrick

Post by LePatrick »

Ron240 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:03 pm
LePatrick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pmOne last point, I was surprised that both cars I saw had condensation on the rear light. Is it something common? The dealer seems to imply that they all do it...but he had a few pumas that did not have this issue.
As far as I know it is very common.
Mine does it and has recently got worse to the point that its not just misting but actual water droplets on the inside of the lens.
It is a fault and should not be happening to this degree.
Thanks...is it covered by warranty?