Is this torque steer or another other issue? Pulling to the right...

Ford Puma ST Chat
PumaDude30

Post by PumaDude30 »

Hi everyone! I bought a Puma ST on Monday (woo!) and I'm loving it! I'm coming from a Yaris so it's quite the experience :D

I'm having issues with a rightward pull during acceleration though. It tracks perfectly when cruising, but as soon as I accelerate the car pulls to the right enough for it to change lane (if on a motorway) unless the wheel forced straight. Is this normal and perhaps to do with torque steer, or is there an issue with my car? I'm not talking pedal-to-the-metal acceleration - just normal manouvering you might do during motorway driving like getting up to speed etc.

The service history mentions that a steering pull fix was attempted last year, so maybe it's still present or has started happening again? Should I take it back to the dealer? It's only done 14k miles.

Any input appreciated!

matthen

Post by matthen »

PumaDude30 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:20 pm Hi everyone! I bought a Puma ST on Monday (woo!) and I'm loving it! I'm coming from a Yaris so it's quite the experience :D

I'm having issues with a rightward pull during acceleration though. It tracks perfectly when cruising, but as soon as I accelerate the car pulls to the right enough for it to change lane (if on a motorway) unless the wheel forced straight. Is this normal and perhaps to do with torque steer, or is there an issue with my car? I'm not talking pedal-to-the-metal acceleration - just normal manouvering you might do during motorway driving like getting up to speed etc.

The service history mentions that a steering pull fix was attempted last year, so maybe it's still present or has started happening again? Should I take it back to the dealer? It's only done 14k miles.

Any input appreciated!
From your description, mine does not behave like this: but I also have the LSD, which may help? Do you have the performance pack?
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

What you describe is not normal for any car so yours definitely has an issue.
You need to contact your dealer now to make them aware of it and get it booked in where they will want to drive it to experience the problem for themselves.
It is definitely not acceptable and if they are not able to fix it then you should reject the car.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
PumaDude30

Post by PumaDude30 »

Thanks for the input! I've attempted to capture the issue on video for clarity. Anyone else have this happen with theirs? Bearing in mind that this is a 1.5 Puma ST so plenty of power. https://youtu.be/PWwyYgkUw3U
matthen wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:55 pm From your description, mine does not behave like this: but I also have the LSD, which may help? Do you have the performance pack?
I don't have the performance pack unfortunately, so no LSD. I might try fiddling with the traction control though to see if that helps?

Dealer is closed for today so I'll have to wait to hear from them :(
TWS1000

Post by TWS1000 »

even with the LSD it torque steers, it's far better if you turn off the lane assist function
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Just for the record 200PS is not a lot of power for a modern car. :)
What that video shows is certainly indicative of torque steer, but it is abnormal and should not be happening to that degree.
To quote your original post " I'm not talking pedal-to-the-metal acceleration - just normal manouvering you might do during motorway driving like getting up to speed etc", it definitely should not be happening!
My ST does not do this.
There is no fiddling with traction control or turning off lane assist to be done, because your car is simply not behaving normally.
You need to let your dealer sort this or reject the car.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
UbF

Post by UbF »

Presumably you've checked the basics like tyre wear, pressures and wheel bolted flat to the hub etc etc and no missing wheel weights? I'd also take a peek at tie bars / droplinks / balljoints. The latter points are a dealer issue if you have checked the former. My thoughts are that something is allowing the suspension geo to drift under load. So yes, it IS torque steer but that's well outside the normal appearance of that.
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
Mike

Post by Mike »

Are the tyres the same make on the front?
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
PumaDude30

Post by PumaDude30 »

The front tyres are the same, but one of the rear ones is a Triangle brand rather than Michelin. Will that make a difference here?

Either way I've written to the dealer and will be talking to them later about returning it :( so sad tbh but I think the consensus is that there's something up.
Mike

Post by Mike »

No rear tyre shouldn’t make any difference. Only asked because I had a Michelin and Bridgestone on the front of my van and it pulled one way. Also had 2 new tyres fitted and one was faulty which again caused it to pull.

Keep us informed about the dealer response
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )