ST auto owners experience?

Ford Puma ST Chat
AliMac13

Post by AliMac13 »

Might have to start calling this the ex Ford Puma owners forum 😁

There might well be better cars in the small SUV market to choose from, but guessing not many. But really depends what your priorities are when choosing a new car - looks, power, comfort, economy or a bit of everything🤔 I think the new Puma has all of these.

Personally I'm quite happy to change to another Puma and really like the look of the new interior, although will still need to see it in the flesh to see if they have improved the quality of materials from the current car.
I also think the level of standard equipment on the new Puma , particularly the ST is very high.
Puma Titanium 125 agate black

Post by 4251 »

AliMac13 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:38 pm Might have to start calling this the ex Ford Puma owners forum 😁

There might well be better cars in the small SUV market to choose from, but guessing not many. But really depends what your priorities are when choosing a new car - looks, power, comfort, economy or a bit of everything🤔 I think the new Puma has all of these.

Personally I'm quite happy to change to another Puma and really like the look of the new interior, although will still need to see it in the flesh to see if they have improved the quality of materials from the current car.
I also think the level of standard equipment on the new Puma , particularly the ST is very high.
There you highlight the problem, yes it is decent ok in most aspects, and a good driver for raised up hatchback, but dropping towards the bottom the pack overall also taking value for money into it. Don’t forget the technology of it is a 7 year old MK8 Fiesta! The competition are accelerating away , that excuse of a face lift does nothing to improve it, its simply a further cheap down. I wouldn’t even consider any version of the 1.0 but the current ST hit the spot for what it is.
Even if they continued the ST I wouldn’t have had one with that interior.

Post by 4251 »

Ron240 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:08 am
4251 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:36 am I wish I had kept my MK3.5 ST3 Focus
I highly rated mine...was such a good car. 8-)
20170813_063829.jpg
Very nice example
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

4251 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:39 am
Rays1 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:51 pm
Markyb wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:15 pm Personally I love the facelift - especially the interior. If they continued the 1.5 then I would be looking at one but not as a 1 litre.

Sure they might have missed a trick but as had been said before - they will probably sell well even as a 1 litre. Just not to me.
Nor me........ So I intend in keeping my ST for fair more few years yet. Then what? The Yaris GR or the MG X Power perhaps. Hyundai i30n has now gone sadly as well. The choice keeps on getting smaller every month..
i30n gone? Didn’t know that, I just priced one up a couple of weeks ago?
Yes both the i20n and i30n withdrawn as of February 24. I suspect you will still be able to find one or other. But be quick as they have stopped taking orders.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

For those talking about the GR Yaris, it's been updated.... https://newsroom.toyota.eu/the-new-toyo ... -and-snow/
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

For me, the Puma ST has become totally pointless and irrelevant. Who is it now aimed at? They have removed driver involvement, made it heavier and less powerful. Torque is down, price is up...it's just a bit of a joke now and why would you buy it over the 155..... to get embarrassed by nearly every car on the road now it's a sheep in wolfs clothing. I emailed Ford Uk and told them straight up that overnight I had gone from a guaranteed second purchase to leaving the brand. They can pile these up alongside all the electric Mustangs gathering dust. I love my ST as it is the total package for my use case, it can easily accommodate all my stuff, great fuel economy for the type of car. Decent if not mind blowing pace more than made up for by excellent torque and the character of that engine. Great Handling and for me at least, really comfy. I just drove up to Port Glasgow from Cambridge in a smidge under 6hrs, did some work that evening and a couple of days later did the same trip home. No breaks apart from some fuel at Carlisle and was fresh as daisy after both runs, rips up the highlands and the A66 with ease...gutted I won't have another.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Rays1 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:06 am
Rays1 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:51 pm
Nor me........ So I intend in keeping my ST for fair more few years yet. Then what? The Yaris GR or the MG X Power perhaps. Hyundai i30n has now gone sadly as well. The choice keeps on getting smaller every month..
Yes both the i20n and i30n withdrawn as of February 24. I suspect you will still be able to find one or other. But be quick as they have stopped taking orders.
I will probably get a Kona N, not keen on the auto but half decent pace etc, just not that great on boot space vs Puma ST. Still cheap enough to buy outright too. When you compare it's 35k for 2 ltr 270hp vs 33k for Puma 1ltr that's 100hp down..... ouch.
Puma ST Agate Black
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

The Monkey Man wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm

I will probably get a Kona N, not keen on the auto but half decent pace etc, just not that great on boot space vs Puma ST. Still cheap enough to buy outright too. When you compare it's 35k for 2 ltr 270hp vs 33k for Puma 1ltr that's 100hp down..... ouch.
My previous cars Civic Type R and Focus RS MK3. Both brilliant cars but it was time to move on.
Absolutely no regrets selling the RS in moving onto my Puma ST (now m260) the perfect compromise at the time. But want ever next, I honestly don't know now. A down graded Puma ST not ever never. But hey it is the way the whole industry appears to be going. Not for me.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Rays1 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:09 pm
The Monkey Man wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm
My previous cars Civic Type R and Focus RS MK3. Both brilliant cars but it was time to move on.
Absolutely no regrets selling the RS in moving onto my Puma ST (now m260) the perfect compromise at the time. But want ever next, I honestly don't know now. A down graded Puma ST not ever never. But hey it is the way the whole industry appears to be going. Not for me.
Indeed, and I so hoped we might have gotten an RS to see it out. Would have been very cheap and easy to widen and lower it a smidge and throw in the Focus ST engine. Would've had one of those in a shot.
Last edited by The Monkey Man on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puma ST Agate Black
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

The Monkey Man wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm I will probably get a Kona N
The Kona N has been discontinued in the UK along the other 2.
I believe a 73 plate is the newest you can buy, which when new had a starting price of £35,820 against the same period Puma 1.5 ST of £31,770.
The Ioniq 5 N is in current production though. :D
Totally insane performance, but out of my and probably most Puma owners price range.
Last edited by Ron240 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.