ST auto owners experience?

Ford Puma ST Chat
AliMac13

Post by AliMac13 »

Hi, I'm planning to change my Titanium for the new Puma ST auto later this year and looking for comments and experiences of those who currently have the auto version of ST please.
I have read a few negative reviews from the motor journalist fraternity and wondered how people who run the car day to day feel about it?
Hopefully I will have a chance to see the new ST auto and test drive when the dealers get them in around June this year.

My alternative would be to spec up the ST line x 155, which will make it around the same cost with extras added on, but maybe easier to live with day to day?

Thanks Alister
Puma Titanium 125 agate black

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Just my own personal take on this...but seeing as the auto gearbox is the same unit that's in all Pumas your question could probably be answered by any auto owner, and any ST question not specific to the gearbox could be answered by any ST owner, which I include myself in. :)
I know that there is at least one ST Powershift owner on the forum, but whether they read and respond is another thing entirely. :)

What are the negative points relating to the ST Powershift you have read?
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
AliMac13

Post by AliMac13 »

Thanks Ron, in terms of comments, nothing drastic , see link below from Pistonheads and copy of comment from a paragraph in their review..
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-dri ... view/47718

' Naturally, there’s a payoff to all this tightly-wound body control down the road, but you do wonder what sort of buyer would seek out a car that rattles their fillings around town, while declining the additional performance that makes it worth persisting with in the long run. For what it’s worth, the Powershift isn’t sluggardly by any means - Ford claims to have recalibrated the transmission to make better use of the uprated torque delivery - although we’re willing to bet that in everyday usage, the cheaper-to-buy 155hp version of the Ecoboost isn’t dramatically inferior. And you probably won’t feel the need to swerve manhole covers in that Puma.'

Another review from EVO link and quote shown below.

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/puma-st/2062 ... -a-true-st

' Out of town, the Powershift’s relative lack of torque and top-end zing are very apparent. While a 36kg weight increase seems insignificant, the combination of this and the reduced power output make for a significant drop in power-to-weight – the Powershift has 121bhp/ton to the standard car's 145, with torque-to-weight down 42lb ft/ton. We don’t doubt that many will opt for this model purely for the practicality of its dual-clutch automatic, and while it’s very responsive in town and at speed, it only makes the car’s dull powertrain less engaging.'
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Taking the auto box out of the equation I think the question you need to ask yourself is do you specifically want an ST and if so why...because to my mind Ford have reduced the desire of this model by only making it available with reduced power and torque.
It is not a bad car by any means, but now I agree you would be just as well going for a specced up 155 model.
The 1.5 ST had an edge that the 1.0 does not have and for that one would be willing to forgive certain things, but now I don't see much to recommend...apart from maybe the Azura Blue option. :D

That last part was meant to be humorous, but it really just comes down to your own personal opinion. :)
Last edited by Ron240 on Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarjee

Post by Sarjee »

We have both an auto ST and manual one. If you are after raw performance then the auto doesn't really do it. When we bought the auto we went in looking at 125s but by the time you spec up with led lights etc etc the ST just came out better payments because of the residuals.
Puma ST Desert Island Blue - Dark wheels, power tailgate, M235
Puma ST Powershift Azura Blue - power tailgate
JCannon

Post by JCannon »

Having had an ST-Line X Auto for two years (2022-2024), I’m forever sticking with autos for life. I’d driven 20+ years with manuals and just got fed up with the leg work and I was always content with its performance. When the lease was expiring, I fancied an upgrade for a bit more fun, but without the hassle of a manual. I guess having a sporty car with a “lazy” automatic option is a bit daft; like non-alcoholic beer or a Big Mac without the beef patties. But I’m very content with the outcome.
In Normal mode the ST is pretty responsive (ie a B-Road overtake) but in general the car always feels it’s holding itself back. When in Sports mode, it comes to life and launches promptly and the noise is great. There’s not much popping from the exhaust like a manual though, but there’s always a lovely grumble.
I have had occasions where there’s a delay in the gear change for a moment, but that’s me pushing it too hard. I’ve had it three weeks and filled the tank four times and I’m getting about 31mpg (compared to 46mpg in the previous ST-Line X). I will take it easy from now on 😉
It’s just great fun to drive and I’ve noticed a different perception from other drivers too: several people want to race etc.
My main journey to work is a 30mile round trip along motorways and A-roads: it is a hard ride and it does feel every lump and bump.
My only regret is that I didn’t order the Drivers Assistance Package - I miss my review camera.
As for the Azura Blue, it’s a lovely colour and I’ve noticed its tone changes depending on the light.
2024 ST, Auto, Azura Blue, Power Tailgate. Ordered August ‘23 - Delivered January ‘24 (UK)
AliMac13

Post by AliMac13 »

Cheers @Jcannon for your thoughts on driving and owning the ST auto.
I have also been driving manual for a long time (40 years), but feel it's time for an auto now, plus my wife doesn't like changing gears 😁

I'm leaning towards the ST rather than ST line x as it already comes with all the extras other than panoramic roof also could be My last new car so might as well treat myself😀 ........ but will make final decision once I see them up close.
Seems a pity they no longer have any exclusive ST colours now , probably will go with either Solar silver or Desert Island Blue - not sure if Ford have had an ST model in Solar silver before ?
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

JCannon wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pmI guess having a sporty car with a “lazy” automatic option is a bit daft
No not at all...and for some time now quite a few performance cars have been coming as auto only.
Two of my recent German models have not been available with a manual gearbox, which is good because they were much better suited to auto.
I am a big fan of modern autos. :)

Just to add for AliMac - Azura Blue is an ST exclusive colour.
I have been driving for exactly 40 years also. :D
UbF

Post by UbF »

I had an S2000 so i know what a good manual box is like and subsequently, after that i was never that impressed with the Mk7 Fiesta ST gearchange. I also have an old 90s Del Sol 4 speed auto ( preferred driving this to the Fiesta) but the 7 speed Auto in the Puma ( only a 1.0L 125 STLX) is far superior to all of the above. It's smooth and in sports mode has a lovely pick up. With 125Bhp it's nippy, with the 155 or the 170 i'd assume nippy translates to usably quick.

Do i miss not having the flappy paddles, probably only for a sharp approach to a roundabout or a corner where i want to knock the cogs down manually but other than that i can't fault it. Itis just unfailingly smooth to drive and once you learn how many clicks of the button to change to the mode you want and back again etc etc - normal approaching a junction, cycle into sports and out of it then cycle to normal once you're back up to speed.

I tested the ST and the seats / ride were a little too firm and far too close to the Fiest ST I wanted out of and the Vignale was a little on the soft side. Did not care for the ride on the 19" wheels.

I think if you do 90% commuting in traffic, the auto should be on your shortlist.
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic

Post by 4251 »

AliMac13 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:11 pm Hi, I'm planning to change my Titanium for the new Puma ST auto later this year and looking for comments and experiences of those who currently have the auto version of ST please.
I have read a few negative reviews from the motor journalist fraternity and wondered how people who run the car day to day feel about it?
Hopefully I will have a chance to see the new ST auto and test drive when the dealers get them in around June this year.

My alternative would be to spec up the ST line x 155, which will make it around the same cost with extras added on, but maybe easier to live with day to day?

Thanks Alister
Personally I think the ST is absolutely pointless without the 1.5 engine! Why put up with the much firmer less comfortable ride and not have the performance to compensate? It’s got 160hp when the minuscule battery depletes (very quickly) and coupled to the powersh££ gearbox…. Yuk! If it has to be a Puma (No chance for me anymore) get a current version manual ST Line X not a powershi&£ or (no brainer ) get the current ST 1.5 , why wouldn’t you? it will hold it’s value far far better and surely not for the new cheap yukky tacky interior !?! And that’s coming from someone who has had and still has ST’s amongst the fleet for years. And open eyes and out there and look at the superior opposition!