Adjust AFE bias to fit the displayed MPG with the real MPG

All Ford Puma related discussions
BJauto

Post by BJauto »

The displayed fuel economy in my Puma MHEV does not fit the real economy.

Shown: 38 MPG
Real (calculated): 35 MPG

In my former Ford (Focus MK3.1 from 2012) this could be corrected by adjusting the AFE Bias inside the so called Engineering Test menu.

In the Focus MK4 this is still possible, in my Puma I don't seem to get it:
The ET menu can be entered by pressing the OK button on the steering wheel, then the start button whilst keeping the OK button pressed, after which the ET menu is enabled. By altering the AFE bias from 1000 (standard) to a different value the shown fuel economy is matched to the real value.

Does anybody know how to enter this 'hidden' menu?

See also the (German) video in YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZckis6qt8
Last edited by BJauto on Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ford Puma 1.0 Ecoboost 125 MH ST-Line X FE Desert Island Blue, Comfort Pack 2, Driver Assistance Pack, Winter Pack

robgee

Post by robgee »

Never seen this menu on the Puma .
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
MadTruckeer

Post by MadTruckeer »

Evening all, entered ET using above buttons successfully , saw loads of figures/symbols/numbers/strings but didn't alter anything...as I don't know what they are or how to change anything,lol!..so just exited back to "normal screen".
Will need to investigate further?
Ford Puma 1.0 EcoBoost Hybrid mHEV 155 Vivid Ruby Ed 5dr DCT
Standard =Winter pack,powered tailgate, park assist,B&O,Wireless charger,Auto cruise control.....
BJauto

Post by BJauto »

In this Engineering Test menu you are able to see data of the car (rpm, temperatures, momentary fuel MPG, and lots more) and test several things (the dashboard screen, chimes, etc.) without the need of a diagnostic tool like an OBD plug and software. Most info can not be altered and can only be read.

At least 1 thing you can alter, that is the AFE bias value that 'calibrates' the displayed fuel consumption to the real fuel consumption. Standard value is 1000. If the shown MPG is i.e. 5% higher than the real value, the AFE bias can be modified to 950 (which is 5% lower than 1000), resulting in a correct shown MPG.

@MadTruckeer: I understand you did succeed in entering the ET menu following the instructions? Do you have the 12" full digital dash or the smaller one?
Last edited by BJauto on Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Puma 1.0 Ecoboost 125 MH ST-Line X FE Desert Island Blue, Comfort Pack 2, Driver Assistance Pack, Winter Pack
MadTruckeer

Post by MadTruckeer »

Morning BJAuto,
12.3" instrument cluster
8" touch screen 4 navigation etc.

Which button do you press/use to change mpg please?
Standard =Winter pack,powered tailgate, park assist,B&O,Wireless charger,Auto cruise control.....
BJauto

Post by BJauto »

Hello MadTruckeer,

I have not been able to enter the engineering test menu in my Puma yet, pressing and holding the OK button while pressing the Start button and waiting a couple of seconds does not work for me.

To modify the displayed MPG you do the following:

After you enter the ET menu you will be able to scroll using the up and down button untill you see the item called AFE bias. Then you press OK and you will be able to change its value with the up and down knob. When the correct value is shown (i.e. 950) you have to confirm this by pressing the OK button again.

The problem I have is that I am not able to enter the ET menu, but I understand that you managed? I have the same instrument cluster as yours.
robgee

Post by robgee »

Just checked mine and i managed to get into the ET menu ok.

When entereing the car i pressed the ok button for 10 secs left my finger on the OK button and then pressed start and after about 10 secs with my finger on the OK button the ET menu came up
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
MadTruckeer

Post by MadTruckeer »

Afternoon all.
Slightly off topic but here's another different hidden menu!!

Screenshot_20240222_130850_Google.jpg

BJauto

Post by BJauto »

robgee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:46 pm Just checked mine and i managed to get into the ET menu ok.

When entereing the car i pressed the ok button for 10 secs left my finger on the OK button and then pressed start and after about 10 secs with my finger on the OK button the ET menu came up
Check and it works! Thanks.
MadTruckeer

Post by MadTruckeer »

robgee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:46 pm Just checked mine and i managed to get into the ET menu ok.

Evening robgee, did you change anything??
Did you see my other post on SYNc menu??