Gearbox Issue - 2nd gear dead

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Nick_Hants

Post by Nick_Hants »

My wifes 2020 First edition ST-Line 155 mhev (22k miles), has developed an issue with 2nd gear. It became difficult to get the car to go into 2nd and even harder to get it out of it. To limit more damage, we took it straight to our local dealer, making sure not to use 2nd gear. They diagnosed it as being the synchromesh and it will cost £1k to repair.

I appreciate that the car is out of warranty (not that they actually contacted us to ask if we wanted to extend), but I do not expect to be paying out for a gearbox issue on a car that's only 3.5yrs old and only done 22k miles. I contacted Ford customer services, to see if they were able to offer some form of goodwill, they have put it back on the dealer who we now have to wait until Tuesday to see if they can reduce the cost.

Very interested to hear more about this bulletin, does anyone know the number of it? I am on a Ford Puma UK owners Facebook page and it seems a few people have had issues with the gearbox, some lucky enough to have had warranty to cover it, others quoted £1800 for the repair (they also sought goodwill from Ford, one person saying that they managed to get 75% refunded and also service vouchers, after contacting Ford UK).

I have started a new Facebook group, aimed at anyone who has suffered gearbox problems. Thought it would be good for people to share their issues and how they managed to get them resolved. Group is called 'Ford Puma UK Owners >2020 Gearbox Issues'.

Martyb1991

Post by Martyb1991 »

Hi Nick

Did you ever get this issue resolved. I have the same 2020 Ford Puma Mhev 155, just hit 22k miles on the clock and 2nd gear went on it while driving home

I believed I had warranty on the car as I said it was essential, turns out the sales man never added warranty and I didn't check my documents which was very silly of me.

Anyway, they did offer me 75% discount on the repair but I am shocked to hear they even asked for anything considering how little mileage the car has and it's age.

I am fighting this with my finance company too. But feel like I will just end up coming out with the best case being 75% discount. My biggest fear is that. Apparently this isn't a one of case, people have had to return their cars 3-4 times for gearbox repairs and also clutch issues..

How did things end up for you?

Thanks
Knightonkid

Post by Knightonkid »

Hi
Same here, yesterday my 2020 ST Line x mHEV 155 bhp. Suddenly decided it doesn’t like 2nd gear! As above just out of warranty. Car purchased from new form local Ford dealership, 18,000 service done there…car now back there awaiting 2nd service as advised by the dash ‘oil needs replacing soon’. Mileage <30,000miles.
Will keep you posted as booked in for service and ‘gearbox’ investigation..not got a good feeling about it