Brake Wear / Replacement.

Ford Puma ST Chat

Post by 4251 »

4251 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:04 pm
Ron240 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:49 pm My car will be 8 months old at the end of this month (although the anniversary date does not actually exist in this month) and has 823miles on the clock, so I will probably never need to worry about replacing any brake components. :lol:
Our car did low miles too in its first year but the issue is they are prone to uneven wear on the rear disks, our Fiesta was exactly the same. My Focus ST’s have never had a problem. The Puma’s pads still have most of the material still on them. Keep an eye on your rear disk surfaces for uneven wear. Although Ford will cop out every time.

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Rizmo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:47 pmFord seem to blame lots of issues on lack of use. The rear brake discs on the Puma seem more susceptible to corrosion than many other manufacturers. My 2 year old Vignale 155 has covered 13k yet the dealer tells me the corrosion on my rear discs is indeed through lack of use.
Yes this is something they like to say, which can actually be true in some cases.
For example if you are in the habit of washing your car then immediately put it back in your garage (sorry excuse my language there :lol: ) and dont drive it for a while then it is absolutely not good for the brakes.
Whenever I wash my car I always make sure to drive it up the road and back while continually braking to make sure the pads and discs have properly dried out.
I dont anticipate any problems at all in this area during my ownership of this car.
Even my oil quality is reporting as 56% after 8 months and only 823 miles. They say that low mileage is detrimental to oil quality, but with only 4 months to my first service I reckon that is pretty good. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.

Post by 4251 »

Ron240 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:06 pm
Rizmo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:47 pmFord seem to blame lots of issues on lack of use. The rear brake discs on the Puma seem more susceptible to corrosion than many other manufacturers. My 2 year old Vignale 155 has covered 13k yet the dealer tells me the corrosion on my rear discs is indeed through lack of use.
Yes this is something they like to say, which can actually be true in some cases.
For example if you are in the habit of washing your car then immediately put it back in your garage (sorry excuse my language there :lol: ) and dont drive it for a while then it is absolutely not good for the brakes.
Whenever I wash my car I always make sure to drive it up the road and back while continually braking to make sure the pads and discs have properly dried out.
I dont anticipate any problems at all in this area during my ownership of this car.
Even my oil quality is reporting as 56% after 8 months and only 823 miles. They say that low mileage is detrimental to oil quality, but with only 4 months to my first service I reckon that is pretty good. :)
Yes ironically I always do the same, everytime it’s washed I give it a run getting every drop of water off the brakes, it made no difference on this Puma or the Fiesta before it. Front are perfect, rears an absolute mess
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

4251 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:02 amYes ironically I always do the same, everytime it’s washed I give it a run getting every drop of water off the brakes, it made no difference on this Puma or the Fiesta before it. Front are perfect, rears an absolute mess
I have just finished washing my car and as usual took it up the road and back to dry out the brakes.
I done it a wee bit differently this time and used my left foot to apply light pressure on the brake pedal while still on the power, then a warning came up on the dash saying 'Brake pedal applied power reduced'.
Ive never seen this before. :lol:

I will keep an eye on my rear brakes. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.