Brake Wear / Replacement.

Ford Puma ST Chat
matthen

Post by matthen »

The Monkey Man wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:55 pm
matthen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:41 pm My rears were 40% worn at 23K (last service) - if the computer is constantly correcting your driving, they will wear more quickly.

Intend to do at least 4 Scotland trips this year, from SE England. Confident the engine oil will be done before the rear pads.
Yes I can't wait to get up there again. Got a job at Port Glasgow so will mix in a trip along the Loches . Up to Scotch corner, over the A66 then up the A74. A stonking road is the one from Lochgoilhead to Oban. Also up the A9 to see the moored Oil Rigs is cool.
Agreed re the A82 to Oban.

Do the A93 off peak to the oil rigs, assuming you're in no hurry. Beautiful road up through Braemar, Glen livet and sans average speed cameras.

Gets a bit narrow after balmoral, but mostly workable - just a tiny bit of single lane track - You do have to pray to the motoring gods that you won’t get stuck behind a motorhome or elderly person.

That being said, the most fun I've had was bypassing Perth over a moor - can't recall the road number, was no one on it though - much more fun than the A9.

Dumbarton to Kyle of Lochash is another blast in the off-peak season - Too much traffic in the summer.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green

MrT

Post by MrT »

The road over the Rest and Be Thankful, then via Inveraray , and Lochgilphead and Kilmartin to Oban is beautiful and a very enjoyable drive. It’s great on a motorbike, so it has to be good in a Puma. If you have time, bear left about 2 miles after Lochgilphead to Crinan, a fantastically beautiful place.

Post by 4251 »

Our rear disks have worn unevenly leaving bands of corrosion, did it from new, 11k now. I tried to claim early doors but as usual Ford dodged it claiming contamination, utter bullshit. I believe the rear brakes aren’t uprated on the ST, hence they are small and weedy. Easy enough to change yourself but what with? The OEM Ford option is hardly reassuring as ours have proved to be rubbish. Not many other better/good brands seem available. Hella is one, not found Bosch, which is probably what the originals are. I have found Ford OEM disks for £170 pair, pads still to find the best price. But regardless massively overpriced!
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

4251 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:44 pm Our rear disks have worn unevenly leaving bands of corrosion, did it from new, 11k now. I tried to claim early doors but as usual Ford dodged it claiming contamination, utter bullshit. I believe the rear brakes aren’t uprated on the ST, hence they are small and weedy. Easy enough to change yourself but what with? The OEM Ford option is hardly reassuring as ours have proved to be rubbish. Not many other better/good brands seem available. Hella is one, not found Bosch, which is probably what the originals are. I have found Ford OEM disks for £170 pair, pads still to find the best price. But regardless massively overpriced!
Not sure if you're talking rears on just the ST here. But if we are, then having replaced both discs and pads on the ST. Be aware the Ford set of pads come with x8 hold off spring clips (x4 each side). I would like to bet after market pads do not. They are unusual in design to say the least. So buying after market versions you will likely need to reuse those clips. I wouldn't. Just thought you might like too know.
If I remember correctly (I will need to dig out the original Ford press release) the brakes on the ST Puma were in fact uprated. Notwithstanding the above, yes the Pads are small on thr rear, and yes they do wear, but perfectly adequate in my opinion and even for my upgraded Mountune M260 Puma.

Here you go, from the original Ford press release for the ST Puma
"Braking performance is also optimised for a true ST driving experience. Front discs are
increased by 17 per cent in diameter compared with the standard Puma specification to
325 mm, and 271 mm discs feature at the rear. Puma ST’s brake booster is tuned for
modulation, feel and feedback that supports performance driving."

Post by 4251 »

Front are definitely uprated, rears are not, they seem the exact same 271mm for all versions. Ford marketing play on words! Some pads do come with accessories or easily available from the likes of autodoc. The rear of the Puma/Fiesta is light which means the rear brakes do little work hence corrosion problems. Likely why (apart from the usual cost cutting) Ford dropped the rear disks on the face lift 1.0 Fiesta’s. I rate the standard oem rear brake quality as average at best and confident Brembo etc will be better.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

4251 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm Front are definitely uprated, rears are not, they seem the exact same 271mm for all versions. Ford marketing play on words! Some pads do come with accessories or easily available from the likes of autodoc. The rear of the Puma/Fiesta is light which means the rear brakes do little work hence corrosion problems. Likely why (apart from the usual cost cutting) Ford dropped the rear disks on the face lift 1.0 Fiesta’s. I rate the standard oem rear brake quality as average at best and confident Brembo etc will be better.
Be interesting to know if/when you replace the rear pads. With what exactly and how they perform.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

My car will be 8 months old at the end of this month (although the anniversary date does not actually exist in this month) and has 823miles on the clock, so I will probably never need to worry about replacing any brake components. :lol:
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Ron240 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:49 pm My car will be 8 months old at the end of this month (although the anniversary date does not actually exist in this month) and has 823miles on the clock, so I will probably never need to worry about replacing any brake components. :lol:
Ford seem to blame lots of issues on lack of use. The rear brake discs on the Puma seem more susceptible to corrosion than many other manufacturers. My 2 year old Vignale 155 has covered 13k yet the dealer tells me the corrosion on my rear discs is indeed through lack of use.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.

Post by 4251 »

Rays1 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:58 pm
4251 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm Front are definitely uprated, rears are not, they seem the exact same 271mm for all versions. Ford marketing play on words! Some pads do come with accessories or easily available from the likes of autodoc. The rear of the Puma/Fiesta is light which means the rear brakes do little work hence corrosion problems. Likely why (apart from the usual cost cutting) Ford dropped the rear disks on the face lift 1.0 Fiesta’s. I rate the standard oem rear brake quality as average at best and confident Brembo etc will be better.
Be interesting to know if/when you replace the rear pads. With what exactly and how they perform.
To be honest you will just about never be able to tell any difference whatsoever between different brands of standard pads. On a track you will or rather you will find they are all equally poor including the Ford version. I am more concerned about changing the disks as the Ford ones corroded on the brake surface within 1000 miles from new. I would prefer Brembo disks and pads, but not been able to find any,

Post by 4251 »

Ron240 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:49 pm My car will be 8 months old at the end of this month (although the anniversary date does not actually exist in this month) and has 823miles on the clock, so I will probably never need to worry about replacing any brake components. :lol:
Our car did low miles too in its first year but the issue is they are prone to uneven wear on the rear disks, our Fiesta was exactly the same. My Focus ST’s have never had a problem. Keep an eye on your rear disk surfaces for uneven wear. Although Ford will cop out every time.