Brake Wear / Replacement.

Ford Puma ST Chat
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Was wondering if any "ST" owners have had their brake Pads and or Discs replaced yet and at what mileage. Also what kind of driving style.
I've done 28K now and have some trips to Scotland coming up. Don't want to get up there to hear the dreaded grinding on arrival. My driving is mostly bombing down M/Ways etc at 90 and when I am doing the B roads I tend to use the handling over the brakes.
ON another note, email came in today with the facelifted Puma details, apart from the badge moving to the grille it doesn't look any different, they certainly haven't ruined it.
Puma ST Agate Black

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

The Monkey Man wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm Was wondering if any "ST" owners have had their brake Pads and or Discs replaced yet and at what mileage. Also what kind of driving style.
I've done 28K now and have some trips to Scotland coming up. Don't want to get up there to hear the dreaded grinding on arrival. My driving is mostly bombing down M/Ways etc at 90 and when I am doing the B roads I tend to use the handling over the brakes.
ON another note, email came in today with the facelifted Puma details, apart from the badge moving to the grille it doesn't look any different, they certainly haven't ruined it.
The 1.5 ST is no more :?: :(
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

I have replaced the rear set myself . That's both Discs and Pads on my Puma ST with the mileage around 17k.
The pads are quite small and wear quickly. Plus and unfortunately in my case one disc was scoured on the inside, so I had no choice other than to get stuck in and change them all, in all honesty. Easy ish job if you have done brakes before. Notwithstanding that you will need a brake piston wind back tool and be able to re fit the pads cappiler(s) & the rather unique sets of X4 brass hold off springs. Supplied when purchasing the original set of Ford brake pads,
Not changed the front pads from new as yet (on 19.5k miles) but I already have a new set of pads ready to fit in the summer some time. I suspect that it will be around 25k on the clock by then.
Word of caution, I discovered that their are two types of original Ford brake pads for the front brakes on the Puma ST. Difficult to visually tell them apart, apart from the fact the difference in the price. It is all apparently about the material specification. Be that as it is may, I was advised to purchase the more expensive set as it was suggested to me that they have improved braking materials and less likely to fade than the cheeper Ford set. With the Mountune M260 upgrade, I think it sensible to have improved braking.
Last edited by Rays1 on Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

I will just pay them to do it, will lose more money doing it myself and it's not the weather for it either. That's assuming they need replacing, might not.
Puma ST Agate Black
matthen

Post by matthen »

My rears were 40% worn at 23K (last service) - if the computer is constantly correcting your driving, they will wear more quickly.

Intend to do at least 4 Scotland trips this year, from SE England. Confident the engine oil will be done before the rear pads.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

How come the rear pads and discs are wearing more quickly than the front.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
cianpars

Post by cianpars »

Rizmo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:16 pm How come the rear pads and discs are wearing more quickly than the front.
I believe that the rear pads are smaller than the front ones.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Rizmo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:16 pm How come the rear pads and discs are wearing more quickly than the front.
I wasn't suggesting the rear disc were wearing quick. I was simply unlucky as on one side the disc was badly scored, and exactly by who knows what?
But yes the Pads do, they are way way smaller than the front set. No comparison to be honest. Plus with torque vector braking you can be sure they will wear quickly. An original Ford set of ST rear pads are not cheep. But then I think you would be crazy buying an after market set because the Ford pads come with x8 hold off spring clips (4 each side). But then again I am not even sure you can actually buy an after market rear set and if you can I doubt they will include the springs.
I guess ok to reuse the clips, but then I wouldn't recommend it. They are nothing like I have ever come across before!
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

I imagine the ST has brake based torque vectoring which uses the brakes to pull the car in line when cornering hard thus wearing them down over and above normal braking usage.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

matthen wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:41 pm My rears were 40% worn at 23K (last service) - if the computer is constantly correcting your driving, they will wear more quickly.

Intend to do at least 4 Scotland trips this year, from SE England. Confident the engine oil will be done before the rear pads.
Yes I can't wait to get up there again. Got a job at Port Glasgow so will mix in a trip along the Loches . Up to Scotch corner, over the A66 then up the A74. A stonking road is the one from Lochgoilhead to Oban. Also up the A9 to see the moored Oil Rigs is cool.
Puma ST Agate Black