Gearbox jumps out of 1st gear

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Gixxerdude

Post by Gixxerdude »

Thought I'd share my gearbox issue on here, I have st-line 155 mhev 2020 29,000miles which has developed an issue where it jumps out of first gear when you take your foot off the throttle and engine brake or when you do week gear change...the car went in for diagnostic at local ford dealer, where i was due a courtesy car whilst the tests were carried out but instead I was ask to wait as ford had issue bulletin regarding A fault with some gearboxes, the car was taken out by the technician and it was found my issue is the one in the bulletin and requires a new gearbox...and yes it is out of warranty

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

oh wow , sorry to hear that .... did they give you a cost estimate ?
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
DB74

Post by DB74 »

If Ford have issued a bulletin on the issue, then surely they are accepting responsibility and should complete the repair free of charge whether out of warranty or not. I would speak with Ford Customer services and push for Ford to pay the bill. It might also be worth trying to find out when the bulletin was issued and whether that was within your warranty period.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Legally, the manufacturer's guarantee does not define a customer's rights. It is simply an agreement by the manufacturer that they will put right any manufacturing defect which manifests itself during the period of the guarantee. If it turns out that a manufacturing fault has been discovered in the model as a whole (perhaps in a particular batch of cars or a batch of gearboxes), even if the warranty has expired, it will be arguable that the car was not fit for purpose and I expect that Ford will agree to replace the gearbox, either free of charge, or at a much discounted cost. Most people will then come to an agreement, through the selling dealer, on the terms of replacement. Ford would need to have an agreement with the dealer also, to cover their labour costs. It is sensible to get the dealer to try to sort out repair arrangements with Ford, because the dealer will have a financial stake in getting it sorted. This is because your contract for the purchase of the car was with the dealer, not with Ford, so if you reached the position where you needed to sue in the courts, your claim would primarily be against the dealer. It would then be up to the dealer to try to recover its outlay from Ford.
Mike

Post by Mike »

MrT wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:02 am Legally, the manufacturer's guarantee does not define a customer's rights. It is simply an agreement by the manufacturer that they will put right any manufacturing defect which manifests itself during the period of the guarantee. If it turns out that a manufacturing fault has been discovered in the model as a whole (perhaps in a particular batch of cars or a batch of gearboxes), even if the warranty has expired, it will be arguable that the car was not fit for purpose and I expect that Ford will agree to replace the gearbox, either free of charge, or at a much discounted cost. Most people will then come to an agreement, through the selling dealer, on the terms of replacement. Ford would need to have an agreement with the dealer also, to cover their labour costs. It is sensible to get the dealer to try to sort out repair arrangements with Ford, because the dealer will have a financial stake in getting it sorted. This is because your contract for the purchase of the car was with the dealer, not with Ford, so if you reached the position where you needed to sue in the courts, your claim would primarily be against the dealer. It would then be up to the dealer to try to recover its outlay from Ford.
Very informative.

I also agree with DB74, if there is a bulletin saying a specific group of cars could have a faulty part fitted when new then the fault should be rectified FOC.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
pensta

Post by pensta »

My car is jumping out of third gear , it’s a 155bhp 2020 . Garage has advised 3rd gear synchro issue, and told me my clutch was smelling badly and 70% worn. I took out Ford warranty after the three year warranty and waiting to hear tomorrow if it will cover the gearbox repair. How can I check if my car is covered in this bulletin ?
Race Red Ford Puma ST Line X First Edition 155 MHEV
#poppythepuma
Nick_Hants

Post by Nick_Hants »

My wifes 2020 First edition ST-Line 155 mhev (22k miles), has developed an issue with 2nd gear. It became difficult to get the car to go into 2nd and even harder to get it out of it. To limit more damage, we took it straight to our local dealer, making sure not to use 2nd gear. They diagnosed it as being the synchromesh and it will cost £1k to repair.

I appreciate that the car is out of warranty (not that they actually contacted us to ask if we wanted to extend), but I do not expect to be paying out for a gearbox issue on a car thats only 3.5yrs old and only done 22k miles. I contacted Ford customer services, to see if they were able to offer some form of goodwill, they have put it back on the dealer who we now have to wait until Tuesday to see if they can reduce the cost.

Very interested to hear more about this bulletin, do you know the number? I am on a Ford Puma UK owners Facebook page and it seems a few people have had issues with the gearbox, some lucky enough to have had warranty to cover it, others quoted £1800 for the repair (they also sought goodwill from Ford, one person saying that they managed to get 75% refunded and also service vouchers, after contacting Ford UK).

I have started a new Facebook group, aimed at anyone who has suffered gearbox problems. Thought it would be good for people to share their issues and how they managed to get them resolved. Group is called 'Ford Puma UK Owners >2020 Gearbox Issues'.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

It never ceases to amaze me just how often people post apparently important issues they are having with their car on an intenet forum then dont come back to read the replies and post further updates.
The OP of this thread according to the forum was last active on 2nd Feb at 13:32, which is 8 hours after making his one and only post.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Maybe he's got it sorted and doesn't need the forum anymore. He's not the first.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Rizmo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:38 pm Maybe he's got it sorted and doesn't need the forum anymore. He's not the first.
And wont be the last. ;)
This is why I am always reluctant to answer first posts from members on any forum who immediately post a problem wanting help without making a proper introduction.
To my mind it gives a clue as to their future intentions.
There should always be a certain amount of give in relation to take. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.