Ford ev sales

All Ford Puma related discussions
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Seems like Ford electric models are not selling well in the USA.

Screenshot_20240126_192644_X.jpg

Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.

foo

Post by foo »

Any other sources? Not that "DC_Draino" in X citing a well-known media outlet "Green Building Elements" wouldn't be credible.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

foo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:57 am Any other sources? Not that "DC_Draino" in X citing a well-known media outlet "Green Building Elements" wouldn't be credible.
Another source.

Screenshot_20240127_104553_Google.jpg

Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

It's the Ford F-150 which is not selling in its ev guise.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Looks like EV sales in general are down, wonder if it is the range / charging issues, cost of insurance since they seem to get written off if the battery casing is damaged, longer term battery life and cost to replace when out of warranty , convenience of an ICE powered vehicle or another factor?

I am thinking of trying out an EV van since my transit is due to be replaced, only thinking about it at the moment though
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
KevC

Post by KevC »

EV sales are doing very well actually
https://www.zap-map.com/ev-stats/ev-market

Long term battery life is not an issue. Only really early first gen Leafs. Plenty of teslas are on over 100k miles with well over 80% of the original battery life intact.
ST-Line X 125 Auto in Magnetic Grey with rev cam, front sensors and heated seats. (Had an original Puma in '99 too)
F-Type V8 coupe!
DB74

Post by DB74 »

I believe that the majority of EV sales are to fleet buyers and only a small proportion are private. The problem is that although long term battery life is good, any reduction of life does have an impact especially in cold weather where range is significantly impacted. I found that not only is the range effected by cold weather but charging speeds too. EV's also do not like heat, so although it's a step in the right direction a lot more needs to be done.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Joelski

Post by Joelski »

I’ve heard that keeping your car and maintaining it will be less of a carbon foot print than changing to a fully electric.
As the carbon in production would be already counted for.
The production of the full electric is a massive footprint and you would need to own it for 15 years before it was carbon neutral. I’m no expert on this and only going by what I have heard on talk radio programmes.
ST line 125ps Desert Blue.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Also need to consider tyre life and cost of replacing them and also the big increase in insurance premiums.
KevC

Post by KevC »

Judging by the ever growing number of EVs in the hospital car park where I work, I'm not so sure about the fleet side of things but having said that one of the engineer who services our equipment has just been offered an EV for the first time and he's seriously considering it.

The hit from the cold is not as bad as most people seem to think. If your car can do 250 miles on full charge you'll only lose about 30 or so and as the vast majority of people drive under 100 miles in one day that's not a big deal.

As for 'well to wheel' carbon costs, that's dropping all the time. Volvo did a very honest assessment a few years ago and yes it was something like 120,000 miles to go carbon neutral on it but it's now down to around 40,000 and will continue to fall as production becomes more efficient.

Typically over 50% of UK daily electricity production is done with renewables so the carbon footprint of power generation is dropping all the time. Only 1% is from coal now. Gas is what they need to reduce but wind power is only 5% behind it now.

By the way, I'm not an EV owner. I've got a V8 jag! I've just done a lot of reading on it as I'm a motoring fan and it was something I considered before getting my Puma. I have to say, having done proper reading on it, my opinion changed significantly on their use, and effectiveness. I'm not currently in a position to have home charging, but if I did, it would be a serious consideration to go EV.
Last edited by KevC on Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ST-Line X 125 Auto in Magnetic Grey with rev cam, front sensors and heated seats. (Had an original Puma in '99 too)
F-Type V8 coupe!