Engine fault

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here

Post by 4251 »

simonr23 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:32 am Apparently ford are doing something about eco sport 1.0 engines from 2016-2022, regarding the wet belt and oil starvation issue.

New belt is involved and something else.
Only in States as far as I am aware? And it’s the oil pump belt and tensioner that fails and triggers the chain of events including chewing up the cam belt . New versions have been released.

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

4251 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:53 am The 1.0 and 1.5 Puma engines both have a belt driven oil pump and most likely the old type of tensioner and belt material. So failures are likely. Ford say the failure occurs at around 60k which on the belt/belt 1.0 is nonsense, many have failed well below that. You can see if your cam is belt or chain driven by checking the turbo position, if it’s at the front it’s belt driven, rear is chain driven. All uk Fiesta 1.0 are belt driven along with Ecosport and earlier Focus, along with many vans. Unfortunately their admittance of the issue only applied the States and that was driven by lawsuits because the blockage caused brake failures due to vacuum pump becoming blocked.
So is the Puma turbo mounted at the front or rear.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Rizmo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:35 pm
4251 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:53 am The 1.0 and 1.5 Puma engines both have a belt driven oil pump and most likely the old type of tensioner and belt material. So failures are likely. Ford say the failure occurs at around 60k which on the belt/belt 1.0 is nonsense, many have failed well below that. You can see if your cam is belt or chain driven by checking the turbo position, if it’s at the front it’s belt driven, rear is chain driven. All uk Fiesta 1.0 are belt driven along with Ecosport and earlier Focus, along with many vans. Unfortunately their admittance of the issue only applied the States and that was driven by lawsuits because the blockage caused brake failures due to vacuum pump becoming blocked.
Rear.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Francis1960

Post by Francis1960 »

Thanks for your replies
The extended Warranty is with Pentagon
Francis1960

Post by Francis1960 »

Pendragon is the insurance company
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Vendee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:40 pm
Rear.
Not a worry then, according to an earlier post.... :?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Sparks wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:57 pm
Rear.
Not necessarily. This only means that the Puma has a cam chain and not belt.... something we all knew anyway. The article I quoted above is saying that its the oil pump wet belt and tensioner that have caused the failures on the Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. On the positive side, the article suggests for example that its only 2016-2018 MY Fiestas that are affected with different dates for the Ecosport and Focus. Ford now say that they were aware of the problem sometime around 2018/19 and they introduced modified oil drive belts and tensioner. I would like to think that the Puma engines have the latest spec oil belt and tensioner so they won't suffer the same fate. I'm only doing about 6k a year in mine so if I see higher mileage Pumas developing engine problems... I'll get rid of mine :lol:
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Vendee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:11 pm
Sparks wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:57 pm

Rear.
Not necessarily. This only means that the Puma has a cam chain and not belt.... something we all knew anyway. The article I quoted above is saying that its the oil pump wet belt and tensioner that have caused the failures on the Fiesta, Focus and Ecosport. On the positive side, the article suggests for example that its only 2016-2018 MY Fiestas that are affected with different dates for the Ecosport and Focus. Ford now say that they were aware of the problem sometime around 2018/19 and they introduced modified oil drive belts and tensioner. I would like to think that the Puma engines have the latest spec oil belt and tensioner so they won't suffer the same fate. I'm only doing about 6k a year in mine so if I see higher mileage Pumas developing engine problems... I'll get rid of mine :lol:
Oh well, it's never going to affect me, so it's going into room 101... :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
UbF

Post by UbF »

Yeah and only when the oil change intervals and oil type isn't followed - which can foul up the pump screen and then that blocks the oil flow. It's not a design fault of the car, just shoddy maintenance - just like anything else that isn't serviced correctly.
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

Change oil every year (as should always be the case, irrespective of distance driven) and you won’t get premature belt wear.

FYI in other countries oil changes are every year, and these issues don’t happen.