Engine fault

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here
Francis1960

Post by Francis1960 »

Hi I have just joined the forum.
I purchased a puma st line one litre MHEV
In December last year 21 plate both my wife and myself are pleased with the car.
My question is should I be worried I keep hearing horror stories of engine drive belt faults
I took out 3 year extended warranty on purchase but have heard bad reports about the warranty company
Through Evens Halshaw
Should I be worried 22000 years n the clock

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Welcome to the forum.
Where have you read about drive belt faults? I've had two Puma's and have been on this forum for 4 years and do not recall anyone mention a belt fault
If you have 22000 years on the clock I'd say it was doing well...😂
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi and welcome
Who is your extended warranty with?
Did you buy the car from e halshaw and did they sell you the warranty?

The puma uses a chain so you should be ok there.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Francis1960

Post by Francis1960 »

Hi MikeThanks for your reply
Yes I bought the car from e halsaw and they did sell me the warranty
Mike

Post by Mike »

Francis1960 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:58 am Hi MikeThanks for your reply
sorry, if i had read your message correctly i would have seen it was through E Halshaw
Like most things i guess generally only people who have had bad experiences post reviews about companies/ products, do you want to name the company as someone on here might have had dealings with them in the past( hopefully positive)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Mike wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:04 pm
Francis1960 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:58 am Hi MikeThanks for your reply
sorry, if i had read your message correctly i would have seen it was through E Halshaw
Like most things i guess generally only people who have had bad experiences post reviews about companies/ products, do you want to name the company as someone on here might have had dealings with them in the past( hopefully positive)
Does your car still have some of the manufacturers warranty on it, you could always try and get a refund and see if you could take out a Ford extended warranty?
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

Why are you worrying about something that no one on this site, or indeed on similar Face Book sites, has ever mentioned?
And even if there was an occasional fault, what would you do ?
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

Apparently ford are doing something about eco sport 1.0 engines from 2016-2022, regarding the wet belt and oil starvation issue.

New belt is involved and something else.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

simonr23 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:32 am Apparently ford are doing something about eco sport 1.0 engines from 2016-2022, regarding the wet belt and oil starvation issue.

New belt is involved and something else.
I've read about that (link below). The slightly worrying thing is that us Puma owners have been a bit smug in the knowledge that Ford replaced the wet cambelt with a chain in our version of the Ecoboost engine but in fact it has been the wet oil pump drive belt and its tensioner that have been responsible for generating the debris that has bunged up the oil strainer pickup resulting in oil pressure loss and engine failure. I have not heard anything to suggest that the Ecoboost engine in the Puma has also had its oil pump belt replaced with a chain. It would be nice to have that confirmed.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/self-clog ... st-engines
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Post by 4251 »

The 1.0 and 1.5 Puma engines both have a belt driven oil pump and most likely the old type of tensioner and belt material. So failures are likely. Ford say the failure occurs at around 60k which on the belt/belt 1.0 is nonsense, many have failed well below that. You can see if your cam is belt or chain driven by checking the turbo position, if it’s at the front it’s belt driven, rear is chain driven. All uk Fiesta 1.0 are belt driven along with Ecosport and earlier Focus, along with many vans. Unfortunately their admittance of the issue only applied the States and that was driven by lawsuits because the blockage caused brake failures due to vacuum pump becoming blocked.