Clunking noise when car is off

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Abanner

Post by Abanner »

As the title suggests really, clunking noise when car engine is off every 45 seconds or so (even if the car is fully locked)

We had 1 mechanic look at it and found the installed battery was not producing enough and had not been programmed with the car. When the clunking happen there was a draw (want to say 10amps) from the car.
We replaced and programmed a new battery but the issue is still happening, (the mechanic said the battery might not have been the issue at all but it was worth replacing)

Anyone have any ideas or anything similar? as we cant really stomach another callout and time for the machanic at the moment.

Car - Ford Puma 2020

Vendee

Post by Vendee »

I think you may have wasted your money with the battery. They all clunk and click for up to 30 minutes after the engine has stopped. The various systems take time to shut down. Someone else on here suggested recently that one of the clunks was the sound system discharging it's capacitors.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Abanner

Post by Abanner »

I shall check in the morning then and see if it's making the noise.

Sadly the old battery was fubar, it wasn't installed correctly (not programmed) so had gotten to the point that it couldn't hold its charge.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You don't say how old your Puma is or why the battery was replaced in the first instance?
Was this at a Ford dealer or just a mechanic at an independent?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Abanner

Post by Abanner »

The car is a 2020 ford puma, we have had it just over a year.

The original battery that came with the car was replaced last year due to a fault with the battery.

The replacement battery ( the one last year) was replaced today.

The initial investigation was by a local electrical mechanic. The work done to change and programme the new battery today was done by a reputable garage.
The battery replaced last year was by a breakdown company (in the absolute worse rain you could imagine, hence why they must have forgotten to programme)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

You don't specify what the battery fault was originally. Cars of that age had a lot of 'Deep Sleep' problems which some attributed to the Rombat batteries.
However, many, including myself, had the issues rectified with a software update. Which is why I asked if it was a Ford dealer that had sorted the original problem.
Abanner

Post by Abanner »

Sadly cannot remember what the original battery problem was.

It was taken to a local ford centre who had a look under warranty but could not find anything, (sceptical of they actually did anything in all honesty) they said they did some software updates but that was around April time last year (car says it's fully updated but I know from looking last night there's more updates which I've got the latest to install via usb).

I shall report back later.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Vendee wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:21 pm I think you may have wasted your money with the battery. They all clunk and click for up to 30 minutes after the engine has stopped. The various systems take time to shut down. Someone else on here suggested recently that one of the clunks was the sound system discharging it's capacitors.
The sound system always makes a clunking sound after about 5 minutes. Other clunks will be the car shutting down other things I think.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Abanner wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:12 am Sadly cannot remember what the original battery problem was.

It was taken to a local ford centre who had a look under warranty but could not find anything, (sceptical of they actually did anything in all honesty) they said they did some software updates but that was around April time last year (car says it's fully updated but I know from looking last night there's more updates which I've got the latest to install via usb).

I shall report back later.
Those updates via USB are just your Sync 3 and Maps updates, nothing to do with the cars system.
The updates to the car are done by the dealers, if they can be arsed.... ;)
Abanner

Post by Abanner »

Ahhh right then i have no idea if they have or would have been done.

The noise is still there even after being off overnight Will have to keep having a look online as something isnt working as it should and contact ford on monday though annoyingly its now out of the 3year manufacturer warranty