Transit Custom Sport or Fiesta ST

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 2212

Post by Deleted User 2212 »

Random choices, I know, but I will explain…

Sold 2 cars late last year and bought our Puma ST X 155, which I share with my Wife and we are both very pleased with.

Sharing was short lived, as my hybrid working mix is switching towards the office more again and so I need to pick something else to get.

Being as though the Puma covers our needs fine already, it allows me more scope for something different and my first thought was to get a van as I have always cycled a lot and fancied some routes further afield. Never been the right time but now we have just got a puppy we know we will be holidaying at home in the UK for a good while. Hence might be tight time to get a van perhaps.

The problem is, I just cannot find the right vehicle that fits my criteria and at the right price. Hence then swaying to maybe just getting something smaller and fun.

Up pops the Fiesta ST, which I think looks cool and must be a lot of fun.

So, anyway, does anyone have any experience of driving vans on a daily basis for recreational use and commuting, rather than necessity? How do they compare to cars and has anyone bought one and felt it was a mistake?

Same goes for the Fiesta ST?

Any other suggestions perhaps? Not necessarily Ford, although have warmed to them of late.

alistair

Post by alistair »

If you are considering a Fiesta ST why not consider the Puma ST too?
2022 Hyundai i10 N Line
Mike

Post by Mike »

The Fiesta will be used, van wise would you be looking at new/ used.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
UbF

Post by UbF »

Have you priced up a smart commercial .... they are not cheap! Plus insuring a commercial. Can't take it into a tip without a permit etc. Risk of theft and or theft from it - because it might have stuff in it.

Then there's the ride quality - not sure the transit will ride as well as a VW Caddy based on the mk7.5 golf suspension!

It's an odd choice to make :D
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
Deleted User 2212

Cheers guys. Yes it is a random combination, I must admit. Having looked at both a Transit and a Transporter today, I have decided that what I want and what I am prepared to spend are not on the same page.

On that basis, the van option is now off the table.

Did a bit more thinking and the Fiesta is daft too, so now thinking of a Focus Estate as the middle ground between the Puma we already have and the Transit option.

It won’t cover all needs but will do 95% of what I want with the 5% being a handful of times a year at most. I have found a reasonably new one locally with minimal miles, so that does sound appealing. Unsure of where it sits in the range though, as trims are different now. It’s the 155bhp engine, like our Puma, so should be decent to drive.
UbF

Post by UbF »

You rightly decided north of 60k was just mental money for a 'builders van' :D I'd have thrown a Ranger Wildtrack into that mix with a hard rear cover - the top spec one has suspension that works without a heavy load. Although again, not cheap.
2023 ST Line X 125 MHEV Automatic
Deleted User 2212

Wildtrack is cool, but too big for my liking, just like the Transit turned out to be.

I just a deposit down on a 18 month old Focus Estate Vignale, in Moondust Silver, with only 4k on the clock. Same 155bjp engine as the Puma, so drove nicely, albeit not as sporty feeling as the Puma. Very enjoyable and more comfortable though.

Definitely a safer choice than the two I started out with, but it’s the right vehicle for what I want to spend.

Collecting it tomorrow once it’s been washed and waxed.
Deleted User 2212

Picked it up this morning and done about 40 miles since. Drives tidy but very different to the Puma. Softer suspension doesn’t encourage you to put your foot down all the time. When you do want the speed it accelerates lovely though. Pretty impressed so far. The puppy is too, as not crying so much on every bump whilst in his soft boot crate.