Understanding models - power and MHEV

All Ford Puma related discussions
wgtwiddle

Post by wgtwiddle »

One can, theoretically, check the spec via...

https://www.checkcardetails.co.uk/car-spec-check

As to the accuracy I cannot vouch; mine says MHEV, the registration you have provided does not.

Hey ho 😔

Pbirdman

Post by Pbirdman »

It defo is a St Line - you can tell from the body style
I was kind of thinking maybe it was the St Line 2.0 design but then I think that was MHEV aswell
2 things come to mind:
#1: The St Line back then had an option for non Hybrid
or
#2: It does have MHEV but the badge has come off/been taken off in the past
Check the dash (Analogue/Digital) and there should be a screen which has a Rainbow Shape bar which is the Hybrid gauge
May need to enable it from the options
Ford Puma Vignale Magnetic 155bhp Manuel - Panoramic Roof + Drivers Pack + Power Tailgate + Spare Tyre
Wilto

Post by Wilto »

Deleted, duplicate message.
Last edited by Wilto on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
2021 ST line X in magnetic.
4 wheel, 5 doors, 2 windscreen wipers, electric windows, heater, steering wheel and a gear stick 😁
Wilto

Post by Wilto »

catterbury wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:25 am Hi all,

We’re currently looking at a 2020 Ford Puma ST Line which we think is a great price at just under £15k especially for our area in rural North Wales without having to travel over 50-75 miles for more options.

It’s the 125ps model which I was going to ask about originally however I’ve now also noticed the listing doesn’t show that it’s a MHEV model which I thought all Pumas were? I’ve had a look at the photos and indeed there’s no badge to indicate so compared to the models which do list MHEV and have the badge.

We test drove it today and very happy with it mostly - definitely slow pick up but does go well once at speed. This is coming from a VW Golf 1.6 but we need a bigger boot now with a baby but not ready for a large SUV. Also had lots of issues with DPF on the diesel Golf as we do lots of short journeys I’ve been told so a petrol would be better.

So I’m wondering, does this car have a mild hybrid system? It’s a manual if that makes a difference - I think I did see a video state there was an automatic that didn’t have the hybrid system?

And if it doesn’t have the hybrid system, should we stay away? Especially being the lower 125ps?

The next model up which is ST Line X 155ps and does have Hybrid is another £3k on top and out of our budget :(
Hiya mate, welcome to the forum.
Can I just add my 2 penath worth.
I know you live in a rural part of god's country, but just to give you an extra option, I bought a car during lockdown from Wakefield in Yorkshire, miles and miles from me in South Wales.
They sent me a video of the car they were selling, I really fancied it so went through the finances with them and they delivered it to my door in April 2021 during lockdown.
I had the option of checking the car over and taking it for a test drive before I commit to ACTUALLY purchasing it. If I was unhappy for any reason I could have rejected the car.
As it happens it was a cracking car, just as advertised. Had 2 and a half years of pretty much trouble free motoring with it. Part ex'ed it for my current Puma in July last year.
Don't be afraid of shopping around as they all want your money, don't forget, you are not " renting it" (PCP) you are buying it outright, so be firm and haggle a deal that suits you.
Last edited by Wilto on Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2021 ST line X in magnetic.
4 wheel, 5 doors, 2 windscreen wipers, electric windows, heater, steering wheel and a gear stick 😁
MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

catterbury
This car shows on Parker's Guide as being an ST-Line EcoBoost 100PS. This could be an error (I'm not sure whether or not a 100PS version exists)
It would be worth having a look at the information plate on the B-pillar / sill alongside the drivers seat as this will show the power output.
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

That car is not a mild hybrid.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Robby71

Post by Robby71 »

Shows as ecoboost 125 stop/start - https://totalcarcheck.co.uk/FreeCheck?regno=sn20hzm
2022 Puma ST, Performance Pack, Driver assist pack - Mean Green

Post by 4251 »

Don’t let it not being a mild hybrid put you off, the 125 standard engine is better imho, goes very well and better than the mild hybrid. When the minuscule battery runs out it is down on power over the none hybrid, which actually is most of the time! Your lucky you’ve found a none hybrid, snap it up ! And being a Ford, less to go wrong in the near future.

The slight less eager pick up is because it’s petrol not diesel so needs a few more revs for the turbo to spin up, thru certainly aren’t sluggish so I suspect you were driving it as a diesel, changing gear far to early. You need to keep the 1.0 above 1500 at all times for best results.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

4251 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:22 pm Don’t let it not being a mild hybrid put you off, the 125 standard engine is better imho, goes very well and better than the mild hybrid. When the minuscule battery runs out it is down on power over the none hybrid, which actually is most of the time! Your lucky you’ve found a none hybrid, snap it up ! And being a Ford, less to go wrong in the near future.

The slight less eager pick up is because it’s petrol not diesel so needs a few more revs for the turbo to spin up, thru certainly aren’t sluggish so I suspect you were driving it as a diesel, changing gear far to early. You need to keep the 1.0 above 1500 at all times for best results.
Why would the ICE be down on power when the hybrid battery is depleted?
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
MikeyD

Post by MikeyD »

I don't think that is a hybrid. That shouldn't put you off though if it's right for you.

tc.png

If it was hybrid:

mc.png

2023 Puma ST line 155