1Y Experience with the Mountune M260 Upgrade and Issues

Upgrading your Puma, Mods, Accessories, Upgrades
Paradoxoner

Post by Paradoxoner »

Hi,
I have been driving my Ford Puma ST X with Mountune's M260 upgrade for over a year now, mostly on the German Autobahn, and I thought I might share my information that I have gathered. Especially in regard to reliability.
To note, these are the Upgrades I have installed so far:

- Mountune:
- M260 Remap
- Intercooler
- Induction kit (not the carbon one) + Filter + Induction hose
- Charge Pipe
- Throttle Elbow
- Oil Catch Can Kit
- Roll Restrictor

- Foresight "Short Shift"
- Yellowstuff Brakepads (Newly installed)
- Carbon Brake lines (Newly installed)
- Iridium Spark Plugs

The Car, with the way I drive it, has worked perfectly so far, in regard to the engine. The Car does get tortured a good bit due to me having fun driving at or around Vmax for a while and I tend to do some mild off-roading when I go out exploring with my friends (yes, I know, it's not the thing I should do).

However, odd issues have popped up which maybe some of you have experienced?

Pretty early on it became apparent that the ECO mode is now unusable and will eventually cause the engine to misfire under any load (strong rattling is felt on the steering wheel and if you stay in the mode it will misfire). I have spoken to mountune about this and they have no idea why this might happen and in the files there's nothing wrong that they can see. The Normal mode has this a little as well, but the sport only if you full throttle immediatly at low RPM in higher gears, which isn't good for any engine anyways (as far as I know). The engine also does not seem to enjoy cold starts especially with the AC on, which causes a lot more vibrations all over once it moves down to idle but is still a little cold. This is probably because of the roll restrictor, but it hasnt caused any damage (I had that checked at a good ford workshop nearby) and mountune, again, has no idea why. The fix here is to start driving immediately, but a little more carefully, to not let the engine sink to idle but to also not to give it any meaningful load. The same thing also happens when the engine is very hot and you turnt the engine off and on again, but there is nothing to do about that then really, I think.

And some things have literally just started falling apart for some reason... A screw on the Oil Catch Can Kit kept falling off and just disappearing, eventhough I torqued it to spec and any more would definitely cause the small screw to shear. I told mountune about this as well, they have no Idea why exactly and why only that screw had that issue. But so far with some better Locktite it is holding up.
In the rear, the door seals kept coming loose so I glued them in place which is probably not the smartest thing to do but it will definetly hold up now. I had the same issue with the boot door seals, but that one I didnt glue, because of the way that its built, and tbh I dont know the proper position for it since its a little confusing with the way that it's mounted (maybe it was positioned improperly from the factory?). And also, I noticed that a plastic cover around the wing of my rear left wheel kept clipping out a little after highter driving above 200kmh. I partially solved that issue with some putty, but I do not want to superglue that part in case I need to take it off for some reason.

Other than those issues everything works great and now keeps up easily with high specced BMWs and Audis up until Vmax which I estimate (GPS) sits somewhere between 235 and 240 kmh, I have reached higher speeds (258 on GPS), but that was mostly downhill and very good road conditions. But Oil Consumption is very high at these loads. I calculated that after around 2000km at those speeds you would lose a liter of oil, so you need to check oil levels when you refuel, which is quite regular then too haha (At Vmax you will inhale fuel at around 28L/100km).
I find with these upgrades the acceleration gets even better and I would never go back down again. The car is so much more fun to drive around, inside and outside the city. But I would never advise this to anyone if they dont want to keep a closer eye to maintenance. My Car now has close to 40k km (around 25k miles) and I have had it for 2 years (34k km with the mods installed btw), and other than these rather odd issues there hasnt been anything to complain about, especially because I know that I do also drive this car under more demanding conditions than it is really intended for + this is my first car I have tuned and I installed most of the mods myself.

Maybe this helps anyone who is interested in modifying their Puma or maybe you guys might find something I didn't see with my issues that I have with this car.
Furious Green Ford Puma ST-X
Mountune M260 Upgrades
Foresight Short-shift
And much more :)

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

(At Vmax you will inhale fuel at around 28L/100km).
I make that around 8MPG, have I worked this out correctly? :o :o :shock:
So, welcome to the Forum...Informative start. 👍
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Paradoxoner

Post by Paradoxoner »

Sparks wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:38 pm
Yeah pretty much... But with that I really mean AT Vmax, so your overall trip average will be much better (something around the lines of 13.5L/100km or 18MPG) at high speeds on the autobahn, because you'll (sadly) have to use your brakes for whatever reason at some point...
But thanks for the welcome :)
Mountune M260 Upgrades
Foresight Short-shift
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

Sorry to butt in here. Is the St X a proper ST or an ST Line?

Can’t find much info info on ST X on the t’nternet.

Happy to be educated.
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Paradoxoner

Post by Paradoxoner »

Markyb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:08 pm Sorry to butt in here. Is the St X a proper ST or an ST Line?

Can’t find much info info on ST X on the t’nternet.

Happy to be educated.
I just googled around a little, and funnily enough, thats just the german name for the proper ST. When I bought it, the difference was that the ST X had the Perfomance Package included, but thats different now I guess
Mountune M260 Upgrades
Foresight Short-shift
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

And that explains the furious green I guess! Post some photos. Would love to see.
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Sparks wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:38 pm
(At Vmax you will inhale fuel at around 28L/100km).
28 ÷ 4.546 = 6.16gal. 100kl = 62.5 miles so just over 10mpg. No amount of driving fun could justify that for me. He is having fun though.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Markyb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:08 pm Sorry to butt in here. Is the St X a proper ST or an ST Line?
I was wondering exactly the same thing but didnt want to be the one to ask the question, so I'm glad you did. :lol:
You drew my attention to the colour which I hadn't originally noticed, so now I am genuinely wondering if Ford gives different names to colours in different markets?

Welcome to the OP, and I agree photos would be nice. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Paradoxoner

Post by Paradoxoner »

Markyb wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:30 pm And that explains the furious green I guess! Post some photos. Would love to see.
Here it is, I dont think this color is available anymore...

Snapchat-1040987129_exported_966~2.jpg

Mountune M260 Upgrades
Foresight Short-shift
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Mean Green is now not available for the ST.
I have the same M260 upgrade as you have apart from the roll restrictor it is exactly as yours for M260.
Resisted the roll restrictor due to the potential increase in virbration.
Do you have the performance pack. I do.
You never mentioned if you run the vehicle on 97Ron or not. My ST has been run on the stuff since new. My ST has 17K on the clock. Never cained. Serviced IAW Ford recommendations. I haven't noticed any running issues whatsoever. Sweet as a nut. How much oil is your catch can receiving.
I intend to fit the Mountune Stainless steel back box exhaust.