2021 Puma unlocking itself

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
taoat

Post by taoat »

I’ve had my car since the end of last year, 2nd owner. Twice in the past week I’ve gone out to the car in the morning and it is unlocked - it was definitely locked in the evening, mirrors in, checked before going into the house.
What’s going on?!

Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Hi, anybody in the household using the FordPass App? Also was it bought from a main Ford dealer? If Sync was not initialized then the previous owner is messing with you. It may be worth doing a master reset in any case.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Could be the old "keyfob in trouser pocket" accidental press. Not done it with the Puma yet but done it loads of times with other Fords I've owned.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
taoat

Post by taoat »

lightfoot wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:32 am Hi, anybody in the household using the FordPass App? Also was it bought from a main Ford dealer? If Sync was not initialized then the previous owner is messing with you. It may be worth doing a master reset in any case.
No it wasn’t bought from a ford dealer and we aren’t using the app! What could the previous owner be doing?
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

taoat wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:02 am
lightfoot wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:32 am Hi, anybody in the household using the FordPass App? Also was it bought from a main Ford dealer? If Sync was not initialized then the previous owner is messing with you. It may be worth doing a master reset in any case.
No it wasn’t bought from a ford dealer and we aren’t using the app! What could the previous owner be doing?
It's unlikely, but possible as you can lock and unlock your car via the app.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Jiminy Christmas

Post by Jiminy Christmas »

As mentioned I would install the ford pass app and do a master reset as the new owner of the vehicle. See what happens then.
Puma 155 ST Line X Vignale
Metallic Agate Black :D
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

App related issues aside, a car unlocking itself definitely can happen.
Many years ago my dad had recently bought a new Mondeo and he found that the car would randomly unlock itself.
He reported the problem to the dealer where he bought it, so they checked and found nothing but the issue kept occuring.
He got the feeling that they did not believe him, until one time when he was standing by the car talking to the service manager and the car unlocked itself. :D
I dont know what they did but they fixed it and it never happened again.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

As said, unlikely, but if you haven’t done a sync master reset, the previous owner could lock, unlock and see the cars location. Below is a partial screenshot from the FordPass App. As mine is an automatic, I can also remotely start the car, and sound the horn and flash the lights (find the car in a dark car park). Main dealers would have reset sync.

IMG_0171.jpeg

MagneticGrey

Post by MagneticGrey »

I'm going to be trading my Puma in shortly. Will I need to do anything apart from a master reset to clear my account, phone pairings and wifi etc. from the car?
Puma ST-Line X 155 Magnetic (previous)
Nissan Qashqai Tekna E-Power (present)
taoat

Post by taoat »

Sparks wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:06 am
It's unlikely, but possible as you can lock and unlock your car via the app.
Welcome to the forum by the way.
Well that’s very interesting to know! Thanks.
How would I go about checking/resetting?