Electric cars by 2030 delayed!!

All Ford Puma related discussions
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Well I am astonished at our government now considering delaying the new car petrol ban beyond 2030. Crazy or what. Don't get me wrong I am not particularly an advocate of EV's.
But omg, the massive termoil this will cause for our automotive industry when they have already geared up and are now oven ready as Boris wound say. It is all to late.

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

I have just been reading this but I am not surprised in the slightest.
It is not confirmed at the moment but is expected to be made official in an announcement on Friday.
It was originally meant to be 2040, then 2035, then when made official it had been brought forward to 2030.
I always thought that 2030 was a bit optimistic to have everything required in place at that time.
Last edited by Ron240 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

I am not a huge fan of EV's as they currently are, they will be a lot, lot better by 2030 though.

This decision though must be a huge blow to the likes of Ford, dropping Fiesta and Focus, going EV only with the Explorer and pushing the Puma that way too. Who will buy them if they are more expensive than the petrol models and the government aren't supporting the adoption of EV's?
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Rob wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:22 am Who will buy them if they are more expensive than the petrol models and the government aren't supporting the adoption of EV's?
The governement are supporting them paying road tax in line with internal combustion engine vehicles from April 2025 though, so what's the chances of that also being delayed. :lol:
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Statement by Ford, just released:

Lisa Brankin, Ford UK Chair:
Three years ago the government announced the UK’s transition to electric new car and van sales from 2030. The auto industry is investing to meet that challenge.

Ford has announced a global $50 billion commitment to electrification, launching nine electric vehicles by 2025. The range is supported by £430 million invested in Ford’s UK development and manufacturing facilities, with further funding planned for the 2030 timeframe.

This is the biggest industry transformation in over a century and the UK 2030 target is a vital catalyst to accelerate Ford into a cleaner future. Our business needs three things from the UK government: ambition, commitment and consistency. A relaxation of 2030 would undermine all three. We need the policy focus trained on bolstering the EV market in the short term and supporting consumers while headwinds are strong: infrastructure remains immature, tariffs loom and cost-of-living is high.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Can you imagine what the "Just Stop Oil" mob will make of all this. Omg.
Tory vote catching, I suspect. Worried about a Labour win. I don't trust any of em.
But hey here is the thing with the massive automotive EV investment, long term the customer will likely suffer now, delivery dates extended, part shortages and higher prices.
Andy-H

Post by Andy-H »

4545EF8D-E7C8-460C-A67C-17F12E1EA09F.jpeg

Puma ST 200,,Grey matter.Performance pack.Driver assistance pack.
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Still, gives oil companies more time for synthetic fuel to pop into the equation and by using the existing petrol stations and removing co2 in production, sounds the best way forward than battery cars and lithium mining
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Rays1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:46 am
Tory vote catching, I suspect. Worried about a Labour win. I don't trust any of em.
They don't need to worry. The result of the next election isn't in doubt and they know it. Tories seem to be determined to destroy the country before they go then blame Labour for it when they are in charge.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

If there isn't a forum rule of no politics, there ought to be :D