First music gig?.... Favourite gig?

The place to discuss everything else..
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

What was your first music gig/rock-pop concert...call it what you want?

Mine was Supertramp at the Glasgow Apollo back in 1975 (Their "Crime of the Century" tour). They were really good and I'm still a fan. They were supported by an unknown at the time, Joan Armatrading. Poor girl got a bad reception from a Glaswegian audience who didn't want to hear any support act. A couple of years later I saw her first album in a record shop and I bought it because I felt a bit guilty over the Glasgow thing. I really liked it and went out and bought her next couple of albums.

Favourite gig?

Really hard to pin down my favourite gig. Some gigs have a good performance but an even better atmosphere. Others have a stunning performance but just a so-so atmosphere. I'm going to go for Whitney Houston at Wembley arena in 1987. I will never hear anyone with a voice that good..... ever.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

My first gig was Gary Numan Warriors Tour 1983. Stunning tour.
Still a huge fan now…… gone into fanboy mode! 🤣

Best gig of all time was Porcupine Tree at Manchester Acadamy about 8 years ago. Got into them through my son and just due to superb musicianship.
Again , like Vendee I have a soft spot for Supertramp. Logical Song is on my all time favourite playlist.
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Interesting topic....
My first gig was John Miles at the Bournemouth Wintergardens - sadly both no longer with us. I don't remember the exact date but it would've been 1980ish.
Too many favorites to pick one but Van Halen supporting Bon Jovi at the old Wembley stadium was pretty good....
Did have: 2022.25 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Grey Matter with DAP, PP, PT, PR
Now got: 2023.75 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Azura Blue with DAP, PP, PT, PR + stonechip :(
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

first real gig was The Stax Volt tour in 67, went over to Leicester's Granby Hall for that one. Think the ticket was less than a pound, still had to borrow some as only had a paper round then. :lol:
I'd also probably consider it my favourite as the artists were - Otis Redding, Arthur Conley, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, The Mar-Keys and Booker T and the M.G's. Made a big impact on my life.
Other favourites include The Who, The Stones and Greenday, among may others.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Rory Gallagher at Greens playhouse 1973 in Glasgow (later that year became the Apollo) one of the best guitarist ever, well up there amongst Clapton and Moore etc, left us before his time sadly but lives on in the music and the memories.
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Sanny

Post by Sanny »

Hi All,

My very first real big concert was Prince with his “Sign ‘o’ the Times” tour in Utrecht 1987. We were all dressed in peach and black. I just read that it has been recorded and it will or has been released as a movie…

Best concert? Definitely Michael Jackson’s History tour in 1997 in Amsterdam ArenA. His singing sounded spot on, even so good that I thought he play-backed. Only to found out years later when his movie “This is it” came out with his rehearsals for his last concert; he was really thàt good❣️👍🏻
He might look creepy but he can sing and dance like no one else! It’s always a shame that good artists die way too young 😔

IMG_8320.jpeg

IMG_8321.jpeg

🇳🇱 Amsterdam

Fantastic Red Puma ST-Line X 155bhp, automatic, full options except full leather interior, massage seats and tow-bar, but who cares… ☺️
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

One thing that strikes me from the dates of everyone's first gig is that we seem to have quite a mature membership on the forum. Just waiting for Rizmo to say that his first gig was Glenn Miller and his band :o
FP2022F1T

Post by FP2022F1T »

Also a massive Gary Numan fan from Tubeway Army still to today

First gig was U2 very early days, Boy album was a small room, don't remember much lol

ABC in Leicester De Mont I guess though, they were actually really good and the gold lamay suit

Last gig was Gary Numan on the Savage tour at Roadmender in Northampton
We were quite close but a small venue anyway, absolutely brilliant and loud 🔊, was deaf for a few days, but his new music Mixed with some older stuff was excellent

How he's not been invited to play Glasto I don't know
Saw him during the Metal Rythm album tour in Milton Keynes, The Woughton Centre again brilliant
ST Performance Grey Matter (Performance Pack / Drivers Assistance Pack / Dark Wheels & Power Tailgate)
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Some great sounding gigs there. I'm not a massive Michael Jackson fan but his concerts must have been spectacular. Our next gig is at the end of the month.... Deacon Blue at the Royal Albert hall. Seen them 4 times previously and would love to see them in Glasgow but available seats were miles away from stage.
MacUK

Post by MacUK »

First: Slade, Liverpool Empire, late 70's and was at the very last UK gig at the Royal Court, Dec 1983.

Favourite is a difficult choice as we've been to maybe over 500 concerts in our days... Maybe Macca at the Arena here in Liverpool, the indoor fireworks for Live and Let Die are insane!

Big fan of John Miles as well Hedgehog!