First music gig?.... Favourite gig?

The place to discuss everything else..
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Ron240 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:21 pm Apart from as already mentioned the older age group of people here, I am also surprised by the apparent number of fellow Scottish members by the venues being mentioned.
It was already closed by the time I went to my first gig but I wish I had experienced the Glasgow Apollo.
I can't remember much about the Apollo as it was a long time ago and I was young but it was a great gig. As BjNtheBear pointed out earlier, it was called Greens before that. As an expat Weegie I would love to see a Glasgow band play the Barrowlands Ballroom. Someone like Deacon Blue or Texas. I see Texas are announcing their 2024 tour dates in 10 days time but I guess any Glasgow dates will be at the SECC or whatever it's called now. I like gigs where I can get to row 2... not a 1/4 mile from the stage 🀷🏻
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Vendee wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:18 pm I would love to see a Glasgow band play the Barrowlands Ballroom.
The Barrowlands always has a great atmosphere and is IMO the best music venue in Glasgow. 8-)
It holds close to 2000 people but always manages to feel intimate . I like how the bar is on a raised level so you can stand having a pint and still get a great view of the stage.
Bands I have seen there include, Whitesnake , Def Leppard, Mr.Big, Poison, UFO and Ozzy.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Ron240 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Vendee wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:18 pm I would love to see a Glasgow band play the Barrowlands Ballroom.
The Barrowlands always has a great atmosphere and is IMO the best music venue in Glasgow. 8-)
It holds close to 2000 people but always manages to feel intimate . I like how the bar is on a raised level so you can stand having a pint and still get a great view of the stage.
Bands I have seen there include, Whitesnake , Def Leppard, Mr.Big, Poison, UFO and Ozzy.
Have you ever walked in the Barrowlands park next door where the Artists Pathway carries the names of every performer/band that have played there.?
BjNtheBear

Post by BjNtheBear »

Would've loved to see the Eagles with the late Glen Frey, they've always been one of my favourites that I always missed catching. Seen Del Shannon in a small club in Motherwell mid 70's (Colville club) at a table just in front of stage and he was fantastic, also seen Ben E King and the Drifters in Oahu (80's) Black Sabbath at the Apollo (as well as Rory G.) had/have quite a wide listening range πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€πŸ‘
Ford Puma ST Line X 155 Desert Island Blue
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Vendee wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:00 pm Have you ever walked in the Barrowlands park next door where the Artists Pathway carries the names of every performer/band that have played there.?
I havent no, but it would certainly be interesting to see. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

A Glasgow city break has been long recommend so going to add the Barrowlands walkway to the list of things to do. One thing I have done is kept all the tickets from my attended gigs, the app on the phone now just isn’t the same
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wowzz wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:30 pm
Sparks wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:15 pm
Wowzz wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:11 pm

I am very jealous !
I was a member of the "Uptight and Outtasight " Atlantic/Stax record appreciation society. Had the stickers on the engine "bubbles" on my Vespa !
Not a member, but wasn't Johnny Walker president of UaO? Preferred the Lambretta myself.. ;) :D .
Yes, it was JW who got me switched on to Stax/Atlantic when he was on Caroline ( I think we may be losing younger members here!)
Vespas had a proper gear box- Lambrettas had a chain drive like a lawn mower ! See, I can still remember the insults after all these years!
:lol: I was riding around under age and I didn't actually own it. 3 of us took turns in being the 'Face' for the weekends 8-) ...I ran away to sea so could only use it when on leave then, I'm not even sure what happened to it after I started shipping around the world.
I do remember Mecca ballrooms on a Thursday always had a Soul night with some surprising artists.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

AMS1969 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:34 pm A Glasgow city break has been long recommend so going to add the Barrowlands walkway to the list of things to do. One thing I have done is kept all the tickets from my attended gigs, the app on the phone now just isn’t the same
Go for it. I left in 1975 when I joined up and stayed away until 2021 when COVID curtailed my foreign trips. I can't stay away now. It is so much nicer than when I left and even my English wife was surprised how friendly people were.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Scotland is a wonderful country.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Cy8rm4n

Post by Cy8rm4n »

Vendee wrote: ↑Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:18 pm
I can't remember much about the Apollo as it was a long time ago and I was young but it was a great gig. As BjNtheBear pointed out earlier, it was called Greens before that. As an expat Weegie I would love to see a Glasgow band play the Barrowlands Ballroom. Someone like Deacon Blue or Texas. I see Texas are announcing their 2024 tour dates in 10 days time but I guess any Glasgow dates will be at the SECC or whatever it's called now. I like gigs where I can get to row 2... not a 1/4 mile from the stage 🀷🏻
Gun are planning Barrowlands in December. Not overly keen on their recorded work but my mates a fan so went to see them in Edinburgh couple months back & far better live. He says they’re even better at Barrowlands. Hoping to go. Seen Transvision Vamp & The Mission there previously. Not Scottish but still good venue/gigs