First music gig?.... Favourite gig?

The place to discuss everything else..
pompeydave

Post by pompeydave »

First gig - depeche mode 1983 Brighton
Best gig - agree with Sanny Michael Jackson history tour 1997 - amazing. Tina turner with belinda carlisle similar year also superb.
2022 St-Line X 125 desert island blue

Vendee

Post by Vendee »

MacUK wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:48 am, the indoor fireworks for Live and Let Die are insane!
Never seen it performed live but it looks and sounds amazing on old YouTube footage. Love the Beatles and Bond films so it ticks the right boxes here.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Vendee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am One thing that strikes me from the dates of everyone's first gig is that we seem to have quite a mature membership on the forum.
:lol: I was thinking the very same thing myself, especially when Sparks said his first real gig was the year I was born. :D

My first gig was in September 1987 at Edinburgh Playhouse with Def Leppard on the first leg of their Hysteria tour. I seen them again in same place on same tour in April I think it was of the following year.
Best gig...that is a hard one to call because there are many things that you can take from a live music event - seeing your heroes, the atmosphere, the musical quality, etc.
Motley Crue/Skid Row at Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989 was a meet your heroes moment for me, then being in the front row hanging over the stage close enough to touch hands with the frontman which I have done with David Lee Roth and Whitesnake.
Even the venue itself can make a gig memorable, and Glasgow Barrowlands is a special place.
Festivals cannot be beaten for atmosphere and the opportunity to see many bands on the same day, and my first Mosters of Rock at Donington in 1990 will always be special because I got to see Thunder, The Quireboys, Poison, Aerosmith and Whitesnake...all bands that I admire and have seen individually.
It was a hot summer day and a fantastic atmosphere. Somethng that sticks in my mind was the deafening sound of Concorde flying low overhead which I think was just before Poison came onstage. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Vendee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am One thing that strikes me from the dates of everyone's first gig is that we seem to have quite a mature membership on the forum. Just waiting for Rizmo to say that his first gig was Glenn Miller and his band :o
:lol: :lol: Do you think he would have liked all that new fangled jazzy stuff from Miller?
I saw the Glen Miller orchestra (Conducted by his nephew John Miller) a couple of years ago at Twinwoods, which was the airfield Glen Miller left from on his last flight.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Sparks wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:32 pm I saw the Glen Miller orchestra (Conducted by his nephew John Miller) a couple of years ago at Twinwoods, which was the airfield Glen Miller left from on his last flight.
Very apt, and done as a tribute I would assume. :)
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

First - Iron Maiden at Leicester De Montfort 1990
Favourite - not been to a bad one. Highlights would be Ugly Kid Joe - brilliant live band. Alice Cooper a couple of times - totally silly but excellent musicianship.

Top favourite is deffo Roger Waters - The Wall at Wembley. Amazing.
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Wowzz

Post by Wowzz »

Showing my age here, but I genuinely can't remember my first gig - to be fair, it would have been around 1967 !
Best gig - Bruce Springsteen, obviously, closely followed by Queen, who were the support act for Mott the Hoople at the time. I believe Queen were kicked off the tour, as they were playing Mott off the stage !
Titanium 125, Solar Silver
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Markyb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:07 pmAlice Cooper a couple of times - totally silly but excellent musicianship.
Alice is great he always puts on a proper theatrical show and his daughter Calico was in the one I seen in Glasgow in 2005, supported by Twisted Sister if I remember right. 8-)
Markyb

Post by Markyb »

Ron240 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:24 pm
Markyb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:07 pmAlice Cooper a couple of times - totally silly but excellent musicianship.
Alice is great he always puts on a proper theatrical show and his daughter Calico was in the one I seen in Glasgow in 2005, supported by Twisted Sister if I remember right. 8-)
Alice cooper was the headline , supported by Joan Jett and then Motörhead. And all for £35!!!
Puma ST Agate Black. Dark Wheels. 8-)
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Vendee wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:58 am One thing that strikes me from the dates of everyone's first gig is that we seem to have quite a mature membership on the forum. Just waiting for Rizmo to say that his first gig was Glenn Miller and his band :o
Ok, have to admit we had a small transistor battery radio and sure enough Glenn Miller and lots of other big band sounds was the music scene in the early fifties. This followed by the Frank's - Sinatra and Laine. Rosemary Clooney also and lots of mostly American artists. Then Elvis, he and Chubby Checker among others paved the way. Cliff, Lonnie, Marty, Shadows - the Brits were getting in on the act. It was brilliant. I'll get to the gigs, or lack of them, later.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.