Winter Wheels / Tyres.

Ford Puma ST Chat
AlMac

Post by AlMac »

Have you considered an “All Seasons Tyre”? I used them on two AWD, Quattros and was very satisfied with the performance .

swimcito

Post by swimcito »

For specific Winter Tires

-Continental Wintercontact ts 860 s (Better overall) (could not find 870 for ST size on Italian/EU market)
-Bridgestone BLIZZAK LM005 (A bit better on extreme snow)

For All Seasons

-Michelin CrossClimate 2 (Overall best option)
-Continental AllSeasonContact2 (If available)

For Summer

-Michelin PilotSport4S (its plainly the best tire, you could also get the PilotSport 5, but 4S is better)

It really, really depends on your situation.

If you are on mild climate all year long, i would get CrossClimate2 and forget about it every season.

If you are on climates toward the north with heavy snow, i would get specialized winter tires, and the CrossClimate2 if summer is not too hot, only using the heavy winter on winter, you dont really need summer tires as pavement doesnt really get that hot, even in summer.

If you are on climate with moderate winter, and very hot summer, like north italy in my case. I am going to get, CrossClimate 2 for everything but the summer months where ill pack the Pilot Sport 4S. This way, im only weary of using CrossClimate2 on July/August as pavement can get extremely hot, near 45 degrees celcius, in the heatwaves. And while i could use the CrossClimate2 there, it would mean ruining the tires way faster, and probably when they are too hot, braking can suffer.

If you are instead on both harsh winter / hot summer, Maybe Madrid ? Spain's cities, or Some places where there are changes of temperature (for example, switzerland, if you go out often to italy/france/germany), you can get very snowy winter, and very hot summers if you go to France/Italy, etc, out of the high of the alps. Then get both pairs, A winter tire for winter, and a summer tire for summer.

Always have the chains nonetheless. You never know when you are with Summer tires on a sudden snowy drive.
Pbirdman

Post by Pbirdman »

Michelin PilotSport4S
For the Puma ST then I beleive you will need Michelin PilotSport4SFP tires - apparently the standard Michelin PilotSport4S are not quite the same as the Michelin PilotSport4SFP so if you need a replacement tire chances are the place you phone up will have to get them in as they will probably won't have them in stock

I don't own an ST so I'm only going of what i've heard so it's worth looking into it before you go for the standard ones
Ford Puma Vignale Magnetic 155bhp Manuel - Panoramic Roof + Drivers Pack + Power Tailgate + Spare Tyre
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Pbirdman wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:55 am
Michelin PilotSport4S
For the Puma ST then I beleive you will need Michelin PilotSport4SFP tires - apparently the standard Michelin PilotSport4S are not quite the same as the Michelin PilotSport4SFP so if you need a replacement tire chances are the place you phone up will have to get them in as they will probably won't have them in stock

I don't own an ST so I'm only going of what i've heard so it's worth looking into it before you go for the standard ones
In part your correct. Pilot Spot 4S FP are different (whilst only slightly) to just the 4S. The FP version is bespoke to the Puma ST. However your not correct in so much they are fitted to al ST's. Yes they are fitted to the Puma ST but only those ST's with the Performance Pack option.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Rays1 wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:43 pmYes they are fitted to the Puma ST but only those ST's with the Performance Pack option.
I concur. :)

20230707_134955.jpg

2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Pbirdman

Post by Pbirdman »

Thanks for the correction -- good to know
Are they unique because of the Track Mode that comes with Performance Pack or because to handle the effects of the LSD
Ford Puma Vignale Magnetic 155bhp Manuel - Panoramic Roof + Drivers Pack + Power Tailgate + Spare Tyre
The PIT

Post by The PIT »

I've got crossclimate on my and not impressed. They don't seem to handle moderate rain very well and the Snow grip wasn't brilliant despite driving slow and steady. I'll let them wear down and then have two sets one for summer one winter.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The PIT wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:35 am I've got crossclimate on my and not impressed. They don't seem to handle moderate rain very well and the Snow grip wasn't brilliant despite driving slow and steady. I'll let them wear down and then have two sets one for summer one winter.
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You don't say where you are, but I've never felt the need to change the tyres for the few days of a UK winter. I'd much rather rain tyres than anything else.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
The PIT

Post by The PIT »

I'm in Sheffield S Yorkshire. Got to admit they redeemed themselves with the only Snow in Feb got up a 1:8 hill from a standing start after someone else got stuck.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Still awaiting anything snow like here.... :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.