Accident. No SOS or airbag 🤕

Post pictures of your Ford Puma here
SteveODJ

Post by SteveODJ »

My Puma ST 2021 was involved in a collision with a drunk driver who pulled out on me few days ago.
I hit her at approx 30mph spinning her off the road.

My emergency sos feature did not work along with my airbag not deploying which is of real concern and which I have notified Ford Customer relations.

I have whiplash injury from the excessive movement and I will be interested to see the Independant garage diagnosis on the car.

I've noticed there was a production halt in 2020 due to airbag issues!!
Looks like there could be more Pumas out there with non functioning emergency features!

IMG_20230725_093537.jpg

IMG_20230725_100800.jpg

IMG_20230725_100805.jpg

IMG_20230725_101617.jpg

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

There was an airbag bracket issue on earlier models.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
matthen

Post by matthen »

Hope you feel better soon - accidents suck.

I can't imagine the system wasn't working. Far more likely you didn't achieve the required frontal G Forces to trigger the air bag (number plate/headlght lenses aren't broken) - it looks like you steered around the worst of it.

If the chassis is still true, they'll fix that.
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

AFAIK If you were already taking evasive action or braking the automatic emergency braking system wouldn't have gone off.
Welcome to the forum by the way,
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

Oh No! Initial thoughts are 'I hope your ok'. Secondly, what a bloody shame. Hate to see someone having a crash that wasn't their fault. Good luck and hope your better soon.
SteveODJ

Post by SteveODJ »

Thanks for your replies and concern

Im in a lot of pain and discomfort still and having regular treatment on my neck/back /hip injury as all the energy of the collision was absorbed through me rather than the vehicles safety system probably.

Ford have requested a Veoneer form be signed and returned so they can do a readout on the safety control module once they have the car which is currently being repaired in an independant garage.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Good luck. Have you taken any legal advice maybe through your insurance company, at least initially.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
AMS1969

Post by AMS1969 »

Rizmo is spot on, you need to let your own insurance company know that you are still having health issues as a direct result of the crash and they will then deal with it all via the other parties insurance company, they will talk you though everything you need to do and will throughly investigate but you need to let your insurance company know if even you arn’t looking for a payout now, you never know in the future if it isn’t clearing up, so best to have it recorded on your file
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

It seems you've done really well by steering left to avoid a heavy impact, mounting the pavement, and only glanced the drunk driver. I know the damage looks bad and you're in pain but it was probably not enough force, as mattern says, to deploy the air bag on this occasion.

Sign the GDPR release form and Veoneer will analyse the data.
simonr23

Post by simonr23 »

Airbags need a minimum speed and deceleration to activate, plus the front bags only work for accidents where the angle of hit is about 25 degrees either side of straight on.

The side are similar - the impact needs to be about 25 degrees either side of 90 degrees.

Looking at your damage, you wouldn’t have hit at 30mph. Either you, or the car washed off some speed.

Sorry the crash happened, but I think you should feel confident in the car’s safety systems still.

I hope you’re doing ok, now that it’s many week later.