Forward collision sensor problems

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
77KJG

Post by 77KJG »

Hi.
I have a three and a half years old ST Line X first edition, which I purchased second hand at twelve months old.
When I first got the car, it would occasionally, when it's raining, tell me that the forward collision sensor was blocked, so I did the obvious thing of cleaning the panel on the lower front grille. But now it's giving me a warning each and every time it rains, even when it's only drizzle. I have 57 messages about this on the Ford pass app now, so I can tell you on what days we had rain here in the UK Midlands! At first service, I voiced my concern to the service advisor, but was told that I probably needed to turn down the sensitivity of the forward sensor (is this even a thing that can be done?).

Does anyone else get this problem? And is there anything that I can look for to resolve the issue, without a probable expensive trip to the dealer, since its now out of warranty?

Thanks.

Screenshot_20230723_182529_FordPass.jpg

ST Line X First edition 155

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I've the same car, I've had it from new. I've never had any warnings that there was any problem with the sensors. This includes up to last weekends trip to Wales in torrential rain with so much spray it was difficult to see in front.
You can change the sensitivity of the distance alert in the Driver assist settings - Pre collision assist - Alert sensitivity...then select your setting.
Personally I would take it into the dealer as it's a safety issue. Perhaps going through Ford CRC first and pushing the safety issue, you may get something done for free.
Last edited by Sparks on Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
halfmeasures

Post by halfmeasures »

I don't still have the notifications but I'm sure I had something like this when someone (our neighbour) backed into the car and cracked the front grill, numberplate and radar housing. If you haven't already, it may be worth checking to see if the housing is ok - I mean the plastic section on the lower grill.
ST-Line X 155 PS First Edition Desert Island Blue (previous)
ST-Line X 155 PS in Lucid Red (current)