Engine Misfires

All Ford Puma related discussions
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

Rays1 wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:58 pm Don't see how Ford direct will help you. At least and unfortunately not until you car has been diagnosed.
Definitely sounds like a spark ignition issue. If it were me I would start with the plugs. If you're able, remove and visually check and compare each for coking or increased wear which is typically seen in the form of increased spark plug gap and degradation on higher performance engines. If so then replace as a set. Iridium plugs are usually preset. As plugs go those on the ST are not cheap. Then if not the plugs then yes it could be a coil breaking down.
But hey thinking about it if you look at the service intervals at 25k (2yr) the plugs will need to be or should have already been replaced regardless. Charged an a extra I believe by Ford, (could be wrong on that?) so if you can do it yourself so much the better. Had my 2yr service at which point the plugs were replaced (my ST has only done 11k) without even asking service.
Did they replace yours at 25k or prior? Worth checking I think!
Mind you my ST is now running M260 and so will insist the plug are replaced at every yearly service interval.
Thanks for this. Getting the diagnosis is the problem - wonder if I could take it to another Ford garage and see if they can get it down. Or else just do as you suggest and get the spark plugs replaced. The plugs weren't replaced as the manual says 100,000 miles I guess? But assume that can't be right for the ST engines?
Ford Puma ST 1.5L EcoBoost 200PS 6-speed manual
21 Plate
Colour: Grey Matter

Mike

Post by Mike »

wouldn't have thought it would be a plug/ lead/ coil pack because don't think the fault would disappear by turning the engine off/ on - from my experience they either work or they don't.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

This is the problem. Ford customer service got back to me after contacting the dealer. Said they advise to take it when the fault occurs. But last time was 11pm at night and gone when restarting engine. So guess need to drive about and if it occurs go to dealership and leave engine running for them to see it. Despite FordPass app screenshots and video of fault/noise coming from engine. Ridiculous.
21 Plate
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

Hello, thought I'd update this. Been back and forth with Ford and local garage. The car has now been misfiring intermittently since last update. Ford Pass app records this. Past 2 weeks the EWL has been permanenetly on the dash (not flashing, there all the time car is on) and the engine sounds rough AF. The app is still telling me it's misfiring. After Ford agreed, I took it to another Ford garage and it's been in for 3 days and THEY STILL CANNOT FIND A FAULT! They say there are no fault codes being recorded but 'clearly still something wrong'. Aye, good one Sherlock. So it is now staying in until Monday to do a 'cold start' and seeing if a fault is recorded. I mean, I am a no mechanic but surely then you start working out/replacing what is likely the wrong thing rather than staring at a laptop screen? And also try to work out why its sending faults to the app but not storing them locally?? I am without a car again for almost a week - no courtesy cars again. Pathetic.
21 Plate
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

marshpa wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:00 pm Hello, thought I'd update this. Been back and forth with Ford and local garage. The car has now been misfiring intermittently since last update. Ford Pass app records this. Past 2 weeks the EWL has been permanenetly on the dash (not flashing, there all the time car is on) and the engine sounds rough AF. The app is still telling me it's misfiring. After Ford agreed, I took it to another Ford garage and it's been in for 3 days and THEY STILL CANNOT FIND A FAULT! They say there are no fault codes being recorded but 'clearly still something wrong'. Aye, good one Sherlock. So it is now staying in until Monday to do a 'cold start' and seeing if a fault is recorded. I mean, I am a no mechanic but surely then you start working out/replacing what is likely the wrong thing rather than staring at a laptop screen? And also try to work out why its sending faults to the app but not storing them locally?? I am without a car again for almost a week - no courtesy cars again. Pathetic.
That's why they call them Technicians now and not mechanics. Without the laptop telling them what's wrong they can't diagnose for some reason. Not really a great step forward.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

Sparks wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:11 pm That's why they call them Technicians now and not mechanics. Without the laptop telling them what's wrong they can't diagnose for some reason. Not really a great step forward.
Indeed. What do you think will happen if they say they can't find anything wrong. They say they will contact Ford and discuss - but what then? Will they say just replace likely faulty parts? New engine? New car?
21 Plate
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

marshpa wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:20 pm
Sparks wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:11 pm That's why they call them Technicians now and not mechanics. Without the laptop telling them what's wrong they can't diagnose for some reason. Not really a great step forward.
Indeed. What do you think will happen if they say they can't find anything wrong. They say they will contact Ford and discuss - but what then? Will they say just replace likely faulty parts? New engine? New car?
Might seem a bit extreme but what about part exchange, especially if they come back and say they can't find the fault.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

Rizmo wrote: ↑Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:27 pm
Might seem a bit extreme but what about part exchange, especially if they come back and say they can't find the fault.
I'd consider it - before all this trouble was considering getting the new automatic ST model anyway when my 3 years was up. But this has really put me off Fords. I had a Fiesta ActiveX last time - not an ounce of bother. Luck of the draw I suppose - or my current car was a COVID victim as well. :D
21 Plate
marshpa

Post by marshpa »

Well after all that palaver - the 'master technician' found that it was the spark plug on cylinder 2 that was the problem. Replaced that and its running like new. I mean it's been in the garages for 11 days! He does say if it happens again then its the coil pack.
21 Plate
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

marshpa wrote: ↑Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:07 pm Well after all that palaver - the 'master technician' found that it was the spark plug on cylinder 2 that was the problem. Replaced that and its running like new. I mean it's been in the garages for 11 days! He does say if it happens again then its the coil pack.
Your dealer should be embarrassed and ashamed. Maybe you should ask for a reduced cost service or an accessory you might need.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.