Looking at getting a new set of tyres

All Ford Puma related discussions
Coalminer5492

Post by Coalminer5492 »

After some new tyres for puma first edition st line x , 215/50R18 H92 .
Looking at Continental All Season Contact or should I just stick with normal continental tyres anyone got any suggestions.

sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

I've got Continental UltraContact on the front and Bridgestone T001 on the back, (what Kwik-Fit had in at the time).

No issues at all.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I've not found any problems with the original continentals. Although the tread is less than some other brands when new they wear less. I've replaced two due to punctures and just did like for like.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

I'm happy with the original Conti's at the moment but I'll look at things when they need replacing. I'm driving slower these days so dry performance isn't my No1 priority but I would look at wet braking and aquaplaning for any replacement. I used to rotate my tyres but these days I just let the fronts wear out and replace those first. It will be interesting to see how long the OE Conti's last on the front. I wouldn't rule out fitting them again.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Pawprint66

Post by Pawprint66 »

Agree with Sparks and Vendee. Returned my Puma with 45000 miles on but did use winters for approximately 11000 miles. So did 34000 miles with no punctures or replacements. I know most of us had concerns over the new tread depth etc, but I feel it’s a good tyre and suits the car.
2020 Puma ST - Line X First Edition - 125 mHEV - Race Red - (Released back into the wild)
2023 Puma ST - Frozen White - Driver Assistance Pack & Powered Tailgate - Machined Magnetite Wheels
F2Paul

Post by F2Paul »

I have bought my Puma to have fun. Although only 900 miles of use , in the wet I thought the grip could be better but then the Eco contact are B rated . Come replacement I may well search out something A rated. I recently put a set of 4 Sports Maxx by Dunlop on my Audi TT and am impressed by the grip , ride and quietness , a good deal at National tyres online.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

My fronts are going to need replacing soon but I’m struggling to find the same tyres.

They are Continental Eco Contact 6Q 215/50 18 V

Everything I’m seeing is either W rated or with the V rated ones the are XL too.

Obviously I don’t want to mix V & W and XL and none XL.

Anyone had this issue?
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 pm My fronts are going to need replacing soon but I’m struggling to find the same tyres.

Everything I’m seeing is either W rated or with the V rated ones the are XL too.

Anyone had this issue?
Don't really see the issue here. If your can't buy/find like for like. Then W rated is better than a speed V rated set of tyres and XL (Extra Load) would certainly be ok. Obviously it is obsoletely not sensible to mix tyres per axles set, but a slightly better specification set on the fronts (not the rears, as it is a front wheel drive vehicle) would be perfectly ok. Then when the rear tyres need replacing you could match them up with your new higher spec as on the front.
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Rays1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:04 pm
Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:47 pm My fronts are going to need replacing soon but I’m struggling to find the same tyres.

Anyone had this issue?
Don't really see the issue here. If your can't buy/find like for like. Then W rated is better than a speed V rated set of tyres and XL (Extra Load) would certainly be ok. Obviously it is obsoletely not sensible to mix tyres per axles set, but a slightly better specification set on the fronts (not the rears, as it is a front wheel drive vehicle) would be perfectly ok. Then when the rear tyres need replacing you could match them up with your new higher spec as on the front.
Unfortunately that’s not what the tyre fitters say. They don’t recommend mixing V & W or XL and non XL. My worry is what position I would find myself in after an accident?

I’ll probably end up just going for the same rating tyres but with Goodyear. They are a bit worse on economy (b) but also b in the wet. Better on sound too. A bit cheaper but not that much.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Stoopo wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:24 pm
Rays1 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:04 pm

Anyone had this issue?
Unfortunately that’s not what the tyre fitters say. They don’t recommend mixing V & W or XL and non XL. My worry is what position I would find myself in after an accident?

I’ll probably end up just going for the same rating tyres but with Goodyear. They are a bit worse on economy (b) but also b in the wet. Better on sound too. A bit cheaper but not that much.
Not convinced. I was suggesting uprating the complete axle set and on the fronts. Not down grading the speed rating, a downgrade (speed or load) against the manufacturers specification would be dangerous and possibly invalidate your insurance. Additionally when and if you needed to replace the rears as an axle set you would also need to upgrade with the same as on the fronts. Never downgrade and never mix on an axle set.
But hey if there is brand alternative which conforms to manufacturers specification for vehicle then yes go for the Goodyears.