Complete power failure

All Ford Puma related discussions
Sooz

Post by Sooz »

Hi
Had my puma mild hybrid about 6 weeks, a 2021 with less than 30,000miles. Just been on the motorway when battery warning light came on. Headed to the next junction to turn round and get home but before I'd travelled much more than 5 mins, the windows wouldn't close, various system shutdown warnings came up, then power steering went. By the time I got over to the hard shoulder, the car was completely dead, even hazard warning lights failed. Towed to dealer who was really cagey with the AA chap who asked if this was a known issue with hybrids; he was really weird when he mentioned alternator, muttering about software update. Could software really cause a potentially catastrophic breakdown? Any advice about what I should be saying to the Ford dealer when they call tomorrow? TBH it really scared me and I'm gonna need to be reassured the car is safe and reliable before I collect it. Thanks in advance for any help and advice

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi and welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about your problem.
It's not an unknown issue, you can read through the 'Battery problem' thread on here. I think we've had two others who have had a complete failure while driving.
Everyone else has had prior warning of 'Deep Sleep' via the Ford Pass app on their phones before any major battery failure.
The problem is that no one has come up with a definitive answer as to what is causing it. My own opinion is that it's a software problem.
The dealers are not very forthcoming about the issues unless pressed hard, involvement of Ford CRC is advised as well as not accepting rubbish like 'You haven't driven it far enough'.
Keep us informed of your progress...
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

IMG20230425183408.jpg

IMG20230425183558.jpg

I carry one of these in the car just in case. It doesn't need charging for months and can get you out of trouble and to a dealer. Peace of mind is everything. Plenty of choice on Amazon.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sooz

Post by Sooz »

Thanks Sparks. No deep sleep warning on the app, just a very understated one about 12v battery charging system fault which I should take for service if didnt clear -which is what I was doing when this happened. Everything working fine, except stop start this morning. Will see what they say tomorrow, just rather concerned by service manager's shady behaviour to AA Assist chap. Definitely appeared to be trying to cover something up I felt. And don't want to be bamboozled!
robgee

Post by robgee »

Also email ukcrc1@ford.com stating your concerns, and if you’re not happy with your dealership try another. Did you by it from a ford dealer as if it’s under 3 years it’s still covered by the ford warranty.

There were several updates to software for various modules that I use to be able to see but they have removed that facility now.
Ford Puma 125 ST-Line X FIRST EDITION Desert Island Blue (previous)
Ford Puma 155 ST-Line X Blazer Blue (current)
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

A neighbour of mine has a 22 plate Puma and he does even less miles than me (I've just got over the 7k mark on mine) but he was saying that he has had his alternator replaced under warranty after cutting out on the road with little warning. Seems to be a fairly common issue.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Vendee wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 6:01 pm A neighbour of mine has a 22 plate Puma and he does even less miles than me (I've just got over the 7k mark on mine) but he was saying that he has had his alternator replaced under warranty after cutting out on the road with little warning. Seems to be a fairly common issue.
I wouldn’t say it’s common but I have seen a handful of cases like this. Scary!
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
gordonwatt

Post by gordonwatt »

Wouldnt have thought it would be a battery problem, does the alternator not supply the power the car requires whilst driving ?
ST Line 155, Magnetic, parking pack.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Its a dc/dc software issue. Visit the dealer and get the latest software installed. You could let your dealer know how concerned this behaviour has left you and ask they raise an official complaint with Ford.
Sooz

Post by Sooz »

Well, I've been told the hybrid doesn't have an alternator so it's not that which caused the problem. They won't replace the battery - said it's been charged and is fine. They have done a software update, taken all day to get permission from Ford to do this apparently. So off to collect my car now and we'll see if problem recurs.