1.0 ecoboost timing chain or belt check

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma

Post by 4251 »

P6Baseunit wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:07 pm
Vendee wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:01 pm
AFAIK the oil pump drive is still wet belt. It will be of an improved design of belt and tensioner compared to earlier 1.0 Ecoboost engines.
Hi there,

Can I ask why you think the oil pump is driven by a wet belt?

Serious question - as it seems odd to me that they would move the cam to being chain driven and still have a wet belt that will need changing for the oil pump.

This alters my view on how long I might keep the car for example.
There is documentation that details the changes, schematic engine drawings, can’t put my hands on it this mo. They were originally all belt/belt (turbo at front) and now if you have sense they are to be AVOIDED out of warranty . This engine is fitted to all 1.0 MK3 Focus, ecosport, Fiesta and some vans. Then they introduced a chain cam version with a gear driven oil pump (seems short lived) and not sure if this was in early Puma’s and it might have been 1.5 only? Then they moved the oil pump which resulted in it going back to being belt driven, so a chain/belt engine, ( turbo at rear). All versions have been along side each other, one didn’t directly replace the other.Fairly certain the chain/belt version is in the Puma’s now.

There is no information or evidence that the Puma engines until fairly recently have the modified tensioner or improved oil pump belt construction, that improvement is recent as Ford have only recently acknowledged the issue and presented the upgrades. It is not known if the chain/belt engine will have the same issues as the belt/belt engine, they are generally still too new. I feel about 50/50 with the 1.5 in our ST. No failures have been reported on the 1.5’s yet, all have been on 1.0’s and belt/belt versions. However it is the oil pump failing that initiates the ultimate catastrophic failure.

Modern engines and cars are built with minimal cost in mind, they are proving far less robust as engines of the past, lasting not far beyond warranties in some cases and it’s not just Ford although they’ve had a couple of disasters lately including the the 1.5/6 4cylinder ecoboost which are at least as bad as the 1.0. But many reports of the PSA 1.2’s failing too with timing chain stretch issues, timing chains don’t necessarily mean reliable! JLR for one of many have just proven that with their disastrous 2.0 Ingenium Diesel, probably the worst modern example of how to get an engine wrong and it’s all about timing chain, guide snd tensioner failures.

Post by 4251 »

4251 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:10 am
AFAIK the oil pump drive is still wet belt. It will be of an improved design of belt and tensioner compared to earlier 1.0 Ecoboost engines.
Hi there,

Serious question - as it seems odd to me that they would move the cam to being chain driven and still have a wet belt that will need changing for the oil pump.

There is documentation that details the changes, schematic engine drawings, can’t put my hands on it this mo. They were originally all belt/belt (turbo at front) and now if you have sense they are to be AVOIDED out of warranty . This engine is fitted to all 1.0 MK3 Focus, ecosport, Fiesta and some vans. Then they introduced a chain cam version with a gear driven oil pump (seems short lived) and not sure if this was in early 1.0 Puma’s as it might have been 1.5 only, definitely used in 1.5. Then they moved the oil pump which resulted in it going back to being belt driven, so a chain/belt engine, ( turbo at rear). All versions have been along side each other, one didn’t directly replace the other.Fairly certain the chain/belt version is in the Puma’s now.

There is no information or evidence that the Puma engines until fairly recently have the modified tensioner or improved oil pump belt construction, that improvement is recent as Ford have only recently acknowledged the issue and presented the upgrades. It is not known if the chain/belt engine will have the same issues as the belt/belt engine, they are generally still too new. I feel about 50/50 with the 1.5 in our ST. No failures have been reported on the 1.5’s yet, all have been on 1.0’s and belt/belt versions. However it is the oil pump failing that initiates the ultimate catastrophic failure.

Modern engines and cars are built with minimal cost in mind, they are proving far less robust as engines of the past, lasting not far beyond warranties in some cases and it’s not just Ford although they’ve had a couple of disasters lately including the the 1.5/6 4cylinder ecoboost which are at least as bad as the 1.0. But many reports of the PSA 1.2’s failing too with timing chain stretch issues, timing chains don’t necessarily mean reliable! JLR for one of many have just proven that with their disastrous 2.0 Ingenium Diesel, probably the worst modern example of how to get an engine wrong and it’s all about timing chain, guide snd tensioner failures.

Post by 4251 »

4251 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:10 am
Hi there,

There is documentation that details the changes, schematic engine drawings, can’t put my hands on it this mo. They were originally all belt/belt (turbo at front) and now if you have sense they are to be AVOIDED out of warranty . This engine is fitted to all 1.0 MK3 Focus, ecosport, Fiesta and some vans. Then they introduced a chain cam version with a gear driven oil pump (seems short lived) and not sure if this was in early 1.0 Puma’s as it might have been 1.5 only, definitely used in 1.5. Then they moved the oil pump which resulted in it going back to being belt driven, so a chain/belt engine, ( turbo at rear). All versions have been along side each other, one didn’t directly replace the other.Fairly certain the chain/belt version is in the Puma’s now.

There is no information or evidence that the Puma engines until fairly recently have the modified tensioner or improved oil pump belt construction, that improvement is recent as Ford have only recently acknowledged the issue and presented the upgrades. It is not known if the chain/belt engine will have the same issues as the belt/belt engine, they are generally still too new. I feel about 50/50 with the 1.5 in our ST. No failures have been reported on the 1.5’s yet, all have been on 1.0’s and belt/belt versions. However it is the oil pump belt/tensioner failing that initiates the ultimate catastrophic failure.

Modern engines and cars are built with minimal cost in mind, they are proving far less robust as engines of the past, lasting not far beyond warranties in some cases and it’s not just Ford although they’ve had a couple of disasters lately including the the 1.5/6 4cylinder ecoboost which are at least as bad as the 1.0. But many reports of the PSA 1.2’s failing too with timing chain stretch issues, timing chains don’t necessarily mean reliable! JLR for one of many have just proven that with their disastrous 2.0 Ingenium Diesel, probably another of the worst modern example of how to get an engine wrong and it’s all about timing chain, guide and tensioner failures along with serious gunge build up and rapid oil contamination taking out bores, pistons and cranks too at some very low mileages and £12-£14k cost. JLR don’t repair the engines. Not sure what Ford’s approach is to repairs or if it’s just replacement.
P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

This is a rabbit hole that I didn't think I needed to know about.

Generally I think if you have the car on a lease and it gets replaced at year 3 or 4 all good...
But buying outright and keeping past the 5 year dealer warranty is not going to be for me.

I see on the Focus forums, that 2019 and 2020 Focus cars with this engine are starting to see failure of the oil pump belt on automatics.
Apparently due to a balencer on the automatic car engines, the belt for the oil pump has a tensioner, which is not the case on the smaller belt for the manual engine.
steve a

Post by steve a »

On the older wet belt engine (non Puma), if the car is full main dealer serviced and it failed, Ford has agreed to fix it even if it was out of warranty.

Post by 4251 »

steve a wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:57 am On the older wet belt engine (non Puma), if the car is full main dealer serviced and it failed, Ford has agreed to fix it even if it was out of warranty.
In the UK? I haven’t seen any documentation from Ford Europe or UK, only US. Have Europe/UK now acknowledged the issue?

And the Puma has a wet belt on the oil pump, which is actually where the failure initiates.
matthen

Post by matthen »

4251 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:12 am
steve a wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:57 am On the older wet belt engine (non Puma), if the car is full main dealer serviced and it failed, Ford has agreed to fix it even if it was out of warranty.
In the UK? I haven’t seen any documentation from Ford Europe or UK, only US. Have Europe/UK now acknowledged the issue?

And the Puma has a wet belt on the oil pump, which is actually where the failure initiates.
Everything I have seen says and shows its the cambelt that causes the failure - you got an sources that show its the oil belt?
Puma ST (Performance Pack) in Mean Green

Post by 4251 »

matthen wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:25 pm
4251 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:12 am

Everything I have seen says and shows its the cambelt that causes the failure - you got an sources that show its the oil belt?
Yes, Ford’s description and acknowledgement of the problem in the US recently. It is the oil pump wet belt that initially fails due to the tensioner failing allowing the oil belt to get out of alignment and shred, this then causes the cam belt to fail due to the debris in the oil and also the oil pump to stop pumping due to the debris blocking the strainer writing off the engine. It seems apparent they only came clean about the problem due to lawsuits after a few accidents have occurred due to the debris getting in the vacuum pump resulting in brake failure

Post by 4251 »

P6Baseunit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:19 am This is a rabbit hole that I didn't think I needed to know about.

Generally I think if you have the car on a lease and it gets replaced at year 3 or 4 all good...
But buying outright and keeping past the 5 year dealer warranty is not going to be for me.

I see on the Focus forums, that 2019 and 2020 Focus cars with this engine are starting to see failure of the oil pump belt on automatics.
Apparently due to a balencer on the automatic car engines, the belt for the oil pump has a tensioner, which is not the case on the smaller belt for the manual engine.
Well that’s VERY worrying as the mk4 Focus engine is the same engine as the Puma!

Yes it’s concerning long term, until your statement I hadn’t heard of any failures on Chain/belt engines. Trouble is a number of modern engines seem to have chocolate components these days.
steve a

Post by steve a »

4251 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:01 pm
P6Baseunit wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:19 am

Well that’s VERY worrying as the mk4 Focus engine is the same engine as the Puma!
:roll: Try getting your facts right before getting your knickers in a twist.
The mk4 Focus was released in 2018 and had the early engine wet belt ( I know this because I had one).
The new revised engine came out and went into the Puma, so it's NOT the same. :!: