1.0 ecoboost timing chain or belt check

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
JohnG.

Post by JohnG. »

Hello guys! Had my puma 1.0 125ps for about a year and regarding to some posts claiming that pumas have the revisioned 1.0 ecoboost with timing chain, i was thinking if removing one of the vct control solenoid on the side of timing cover is a way of checking inside with a tiny endoscope camera to verify what is used for timing, chain or belt. I also want to know if that solenoid removal would pose any problems for the engine afterwards regarding timing etc. If not i think it would be a good way of inspecting the belt-chain without the need of removing the valve cover. Thanks in advance guys!

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

JohnG. wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:47 pm Hello guys! Had my puma 1.0 125ps for about a year and regarding to some posts claiming that pumas have the revisioned 1.0 ecoboost with timing chain, i was thinking if removing one of the vct control solenoid on the side of timing cover is a way of checking inside with a tiny endoscope camera to verify what is used for timing, chain or belt. I also want to know if that solenoid removal would pose any problems for the engine afterwards regarding timing etc. If not i think it would be a good way of inspecting the belt-chain without the need of removing the valve cover. Thanks in advance guys!
I would leave all that is well alone. It is a "Wet Belt" a wet belt system that runs the cam belt in oil to prolong life.
Apparently 10years or 150,000miles which ever first. Opening it up allows contamination. Dust, dirt &,FOD.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Probably more likely to see if anything untoward going on with the belt when doing an oil/ filter change.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Vin

Post by Vin »

Puma 1.0l is the revised engine with timing chain, not the wet belt although the wet belts are fine as long as oil changes are done on time using the correct oil grade. The revised engine is identifiable by way of having it’s turbo at the rear of the engine and inlet at the front.
Puma St line X 125 MHEV with power tailgate.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

Vin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:34 pm Puma 1.0l is the revised engine with timing chain, not the wet belt although the wet belts are fine as long as oil changes are done on time using the correct oil grade. The revised engine is identifiable by way of having it’s turbo at the rear of the engine and inlet at the front.
Well I never. I never knew. Apparently introduced 2019 on the 1.0ltr. . I do wonder why the revision? Perhaps is was to ensure a 2yr service rather than 1yr?
So do we think the ST Powershift will be fitted with belt or chain?
Anyone!
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

lf what l've read elsewhere is to be belived Rays1, the service interval has always been two years, be it belt or chain?...
Perhaps it's ford trying to brush under the carpet, the built in design flaws with the belt driven cams which as you have probably read up on, which does tend to not be helped by poor servicing...
l would imagine the ST powershift will be a chain, as it probably won't anymore an engine then whats fitted in mine, and many more 155's, just reworked for more horsepower?.....
ST line X - Desert Island Blue
Ordered 30/1/22 - Built 18/4/22 - Sat in Dagenham yard since May - Collected 17/6/22 - To be fair it's been a wonderful car, so far!
Rich46

Post by Rich46 »

Does anyone know what MY or month the revised engine was introduced? We have a 20 plate 1.0l ST Line X, just wondering what we have a belt or chain
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

Rich46 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:22 pm Does anyone know what MY or month the revised engine was introduced? We have a 20 plate 1.0l ST Line X, just wondering what we have a belt or chain
It will be chain. The design changed with the introduction of the Puma
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
wook

Post by wook »

draft
Last edited by wook on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wook

Post by wook »

Vendee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:26 pm
Rich46 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:22 pm Does anyone know what MY or month the revised engine was introduced? We have a 20 plate 1.0l ST Line X, just wondering what we have a belt or chain
It will be chain. The design changed with the introduction of the Puma
Has this happened to all 1.0 eco boost engines do you know (2020 onwards)? im looking at a 1.0T focus active edition 2020 and not sure it has a chain or a belt