1.0 ecoboost timing chain or belt check

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:07 pm
Vendee wrote: ↑Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:01 pm
AFAIK the oil pump drive is still wet belt. It will be of an improved design of belt and tensioner compared to earlier 1.0 Ecoboost engines.
Hi there,

Can I ask why you think the oil pump is driven by a wet belt?

Serious question - as it seems odd to me that they would move the cam to being chain driven and still have a wet belt that will need changing for the oil pump.

This alters my view on how long I might keep the car for example.
I would say the reasons are weight and cost. Also rubber belts are quieter than chains.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic

P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

OK so I just put the VIN number in on the Ford website to look at the service schedule and there is indeed a oil pump belt to be changed at 144K miles or 10 years!!!

From what I understood it was mainly the oil pump wet belt on the previous version of this engine that would break up at around 60k miles, clog the oil picked and cause the oil pump to fail.

So what changed?
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:05 pm OK so I just put the VIN number in on the Ford website to look at the service schedule and there is indeed a oil pump belt to be changed at 144K miles or 10 years!!!

From what I understood it was mainly the oil pump wet belt on the previous version of this engine that would break up at around 60k miles, clog the oil picked and cause the oil pump to fail.

So what changed?
The engine version changed 😏

When they improved the previous version of the engine they introduced a modified/improved version of the belt and the tensioner. From what I read online, it was the tensioner that was the main issue. I would imagine that Ford carried the improved design to the current 1.0 Ecoboost engines.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic
P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

Vendee wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 pm
P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:05 pm
So what changed?

When they improved the previous version of the engine they introduced a modified/improved version of the belt and the tensioner. From what I read online, it was the tensioner that was the main issue. I would imagine that Ford carried the improved design to the current 1.0 Ecoboost engines.
OK so I guess we are amost 5 years in to the Puma model, have there been any reports so far of this belt failing?
steve a

Post by steve a »

P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:18 pm
Vendee wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 pm
P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:05 pm
So what changed?

OK so I guess we are amost 5 years in to the Puma model, have there been any reports so far of this belt failing?
Really :roll: It's quite simple, look at the back of your car, if it has the word "PUMA" on the tail gate, then IT HASN"T GOT A BELT :!: ;)
P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

steve a wrote: ↑Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:21 pm
Really :roll: It's quite simple, look at the back of your car, if it has the word "PUMA" on the tail gate, then IT HASN"T GOT A BELT :!: ;)
Hi Steve, I went onto the Ford website, put in my VIN for the service schedule and Ford tell me I have a 2021 Puma with a wet belt for the oil pump that needs changing at 10 years.

Which I was surprised at, as I thought the Puma had timing chains - well it does have timing chains, but it seems to have an oil pump that is wet belt driven as before!

Bit of a bummer, as this was the part that would fail and block the oil pump in the previous engine.
P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

Here are some photos

Puma.jpg

Puma 2.jpg

P6Baseunit

Post by P6Baseunit »

So my question is - has the oil pump wet belt failed on a Puma yet and does more regular oil changes give it more chance of a problem free life?
steve a

Post by steve a »

The wet belt issue was all about the timing belt, which is why ford changed the design significantly (to chain). This effected cars that were not regally serviced, the old oil would cause the belt to brake down prematurely.
Fords have obviously looked at the problem and have taken steps to prevent further issues, I haven't heard or seen any evidence of the revised engine failures for this reason, but I stand to be corrected.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

P6Baseunit wrote: ↑Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 am So my question is - has the oil pump wet belt failed on a Puma yet and does more regular oil changes give it more chance of a problem free life?
Been on here since early 2020 and on my second Puma.....I don't recall anyone reporting a belt failure. So, up to this point it's a non issue. It's not the same design as the old engines.
I think the question has been well answered...πŸ‘πŸ˜
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.