Decisions, decisions!!!

All Ford Puma related discussions
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Sparks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:22 pm
lightfoot wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:16 pm
Sparks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:18 pm Can I have some input from you other Auto owners please?Vignale Puma.png

I will be able to tell you on Friday (hopefully). I used to have paddles on my C-max(s). I never once used them so not something I really want or miss.
They aren't a deal breaker for me, It's just that everything I read states they are standard on the Vignale Auto. It's not making any sense at the moment, but, I'm sure it will at some stage, I look forward to you letting me know, thanks.

As we already know. No paddles.

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

lightfoot wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:56 pm
Sparks wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:22 pm
lightfoot wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:16 pm

I will be able to tell you on Friday (hopefully). I used to have paddles on my C-max(s). I never once used them so not something I really want or miss.
They aren't a deal breaker for me, It's just that everything I read states they are standard on the Vignale Auto. It's not making any sense at the moment, but, I'm sure it will at some stage, I look forward to you letting me know, thanks.

As we already know. No paddles.
Yep thanks. Ford keeping very quiet about it.. ;)
I'm thoroughly enjoying mine now. Only taken it around the city so far, but the auto makes such a difference in that scenario.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Sparks, how is the stop/start functioning compared to your previous Puma.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Start/Stop with an automatic gearbox truly is the work of the devil and I hated it with a passion in my cars. :evil:
The engine stopping every time the car briefly comes to a stop, and even stopping before shifting into reverse.
At least with a manual gearbox the driver has control over when it activates.
Definitely hit the off button by default every time I started the engine.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:31 pm Sparks, how is the stop/start functioning compared to your previous Puma.
I don't even notice it to be honest, I don't find it any different to the manual. It stops and when you press the accelerator it starts and goes, no perceptible delays.
I did read a comparison between the stop starts of various manufacturers some time ago and Fords came out as the fastest.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Sparks wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:28 pm
I don't even notice it to be honest, I don't find it any different to the manual.
Start/Stop activates differently with an automatic compared to a manual.
With an auto the engine stops every time you brake to a stop then starts again when the brake is released, but with a manual the gearbox needs to be in neutral and clutch raised.
With the latter it is completely controllable, but with the former the engine stops ever time the vehicle comes to a stop.
It is terrible with an auto
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Ron240 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:39 pm
Sparks wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:28 pm
I don't even notice it to be honest, I don't find it any different to the manual.
Start/Stop activates differently with an automatic compared to a manual.
With an auto the engine stops every time you brake to a stop then starts again when the brake is released, but with a manual the gearbox needs to be in neutral and clutch raised.
With the latter it is completely controllable, but with the former the engine stops ever time the vehicle comes to a stop.
It is terrible with an auto
Have to disagree, I've not found it 'terrible' at all. As I said, hardly noticeable when it's being used, regardless of how it's implemented.
That said, I won't be using it for long, on the manual I got into the habit of turning it off, once I've gotten used to this one the muscle memory will take over again I guess..... ;) :D
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

Fair enough, but I found that the engine being stopped every time I briefly stopped at a junction or roundabout looking to get out quickly was very disconcerting.
Deleted User 905

Post by Deleted User 905 »

Ron240 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:58 pm Fair enough, but I found that the engine being stopped every time I briefly stopped at a junction or roundabout looking to get out quickly was very disconcerting.

Which is why I turn it off on dangerous junctions. In my 70s, I don’t do anything quickly :D
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

I still say that Start/Stop with an auto is terrible because the engine is frequently off just when you don't want it to be.
Also what about when in a queue of slow moving traffic where you come to a full stop many times but only for a matter of seconds...with a manual gearbox the engine would remain running but with an auto it would be continually stopping and restarting.
Then as I mentioned earlier you stop to engage reverse but the damn engine stops before you can do so.
Now if you say you always turn the system off then you obviously must dislike it too.
I had 3 autos in a row from 2018 onwards so I had plenty of time to realise I hated how Start/Stop is implemented.