Blocked Windscreen Washers Front & rear

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
IanB2022

Post by IanB2022 »

Good Afternoon All, after nearly 2 years of owning a Puma I have pretty much my first issue. All I get from my windscreen washers, front & rear, is a dribble of water which doesn't even reach the screen. There is water in the tank, I can hear the pump working so after a bit of digging online it would appear I may have a gunged up washer tank filter.
I found information online which suggests the following steps to make getting to the washer pump easier ie. remove the offside front wheel and inner wing panel, and then lo and behold I should see the tank/pump. Thereafter it should be straightforward!
My question is has anyone else had to do this and are those the steps I need to take?
Any advice much appreciated.

Chocky

Post by Chocky »

Had this once after mixing screen wash types. I was able to release the hose from the jets and pump the crap out then flush through with hot water. Not looked on the Puma but something similar should be possible.
IanB2022

Post by IanB2022 »

Good Evening Everyone,

First of all I need to apologise for not posting an update on how the local Ford garage fixed this for me. They cleared the gunk from the filter, as per the picture. Cost £125 so not exactly cheap, but quicker than me doing it and since it was winter, no crawling about on a cold garage floor! Regardless, the washer pump has worked flawlessly since then, even with me continuing to use the additive I used before, which the garage suggested was to blame. Mixing additives is not good, apparently.

Washer pump filter.jpg

Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

IanB2022 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:56 pmthe washer pump has worked flawlessly since then, even with me continuing to use the additive I used before, which the garage suggested was to blame.
This is very 'brave' of you under the circumstances. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the update though...too many people dont bother doing this.
Glad you got it sorted. :)
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Why are you using the same additive they say caused the blockage and what is it? Just curious.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
MrT

Post by MrT »

A couple of years ago there was a report of BMW refusing a warranty claim for a faulty screen washer system because the car owner had not been using the official BMW washer fluid from a BMW dealer. It sounded ridiculous then and still does. I have never had a problem using washer fluid bought from Aldi/Lidl/Morrisons/Halfords. Would put me off buying BMW if I ever wanted to spend that much.
IanB2022

Post by IanB2022 »

Hi Sparks, As I’ve used pretty much all my driving life, I’ve been using Asda/Halfords etc washer fluid, similar to Mr T’s approach, with no issues. This was the first blocked filter I’ve come across. I did use a hose to fill up the washer bottle, I had been washing the car, so my theory is somehow that introduced some foreign body which then blocked the filter. Suffice to say I’ve not used that method since, lesson learnt!
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

I had this problem several years ago after a main dealer service resulted in a lack of washers a few days later. They cleared out the bllockage for free and said it was two incompatible additives that causes it. Since then I always run the reservoir down before filling it up with something new
Did have: 2022.25 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Grey Matter with DAP, PP, PT, PR
Now got: 2023.75 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Azura Blue with DAP, PP, PT, PR + stonechip :(