Hanging parcel shelf?

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
col11

Post by col11 »

Just picked up my Puma Friday and I really don't understand if the parcel shelf is working how it should, to start I will say I have picked up on all the info about broken clips and have checked mine and both seem fine so it's not that.
When I open my boot the parcel shelf just hangs down, and that's it, I close the boot it doesn't flip/move up and sit on the supports (that look like little triangles) where I think it should sit on, hard to explain but I have added a picture.
The dealer (not a Ford dealer)just seemed to think that's how it is? If I can find out it's supposed to move up and sit like a traditional parcel shelf then I will be back there in the morning!

IMG20220717201419.jpg

IMG20220717201425.jpg

IMG20220717201432.jpg

2020 FORD PUMA TITANIUM ECOBOOST 125 MAGNETIC

DickDastardly

Post by DickDastardly »

Those clips in your hand in the last photo should be attached to the corresponding ball joint on each side of the tailgate.

It will then sit flat like a traditional parcel shelf once the boot is closed...

...until those clips keep disconnecting again and again...

Bad design
ST Line X 155, Desert Island Blue. Ordered 31/12/21, delivered 23/05/22
col11

Post by col11 »

Fantastic! So simple I feel silly now, thanks so much DickDastardly
CraggyBeard

Post by CraggyBeard »

Yes, the parcel shelf strap attachments are a bad design, not fit for purpose. Mine constantly detach. My car is less than 2 months old. Maybe less durable ball joint parts are used in the 2022 models??
Puma ST Line X, 155, Magnetic, Manual, Comfort Pack, Panoramic Roof. First Reg'd 25/05/2022.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Have they changed the design? Mine are quite difficult to pop out. Always worried about breaking the clips or ball joints, as others have. So, they've never popped out by themselves.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
CraggyBeard

Post by CraggyBeard »

Sparks wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:22 pm Have they changed the design? Mine are quite difficult to pop out. Always worried about breaking the clips or ball joints, as others have. So, they've never popped out by themselves.
I was wondering that. The shelf stays in place but the strings that lift the shelf when the boot is opened detach from their ball joints on the hatchback door whenever the boot is opened or shut, or if the sunroof is open.
Puma ST Line X, 155, Magnetic, Manual, Comfort Pack, Panoramic Roof. First Reg'd 25/05/2022.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

CraggyBeard wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:29 pm
Sparks wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:22 pm Have they changed the design? Mine are quite difficult to pop out. Always worried about breaking the clips or ball joints, as others have. So, they've never popped out by themselves.
I was wondering that. The shelf stays in place but the strings that lift the shelf when the boot is opened detach from their ball joints on the hatchback door whenever the boot is opened or shut, or if the sunroof is open.
That must drive you mad....I'd be taking the dealer to task, it may be something simple like changing the connectors.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I don't have any issues with mine but I have had an issue in the past but got round it. Ion the ball, I put some tape on., this makes the ball ever do slightly bigger and so, the cup fits it better. Worth a try?
col11

Post by col11 »

denty1964 wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:06 pm I don't have any issues with mine but I have had an issue in the past but got round it. Ion the ball, I put some tape on., this makes the ball ever do slightly bigger and so, the cup fits it better. Worth a try?
That's a great idea, mine has stayed attached so far but if I have any trouble I know what I will be doing
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

That's a great tip, it's what this forum is all about.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.