Steering Noises

Ford Puma ST Chat
bazzer

Post by bazzer »

Hi All
I have had a knock at parking speed when turning the steering wheel for a while so took the car to a Ford dealer. The guy behind the desk spoke to a mechanic who said he had had this before and he greased the bottom of the column where it goes through the floor. I had found a slight bit of play in that bearing so maybe a bit of grease just stops a metal to metal contact. Anyway the noise has for now gone, so will see how long it lasts, but at least I know what to do if it comes back.
The dealer didnt even charge for the time!

The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

My car went in few weeks back and....

The play in the steering and knocking is gone.

The creaking and the ping remain.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Knocking returned soon after and had been getting worse. Was accompanied by a sensation through the wheel like that of a manual torque bar when it clicks. Took it in "again" today and finally I was able to get it to do it on demand for the Mechanic.
Suspected Top Mount on the passenger side which I would tend to agree it could be. New part on order and hopefully this resolves the issue as I intend to keep for full 5 years I have it warrantied for now they've discontinued the ST.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

FIXED....FINALLY!!!!

I asked a couple of times for the name of the part replaced but on both times I got the following "We have replaced the shaft that goes from the rack to the motor" Make of that what you will, but my 18 month journey to get to the bottom of the steering noise and knocking is finally at an end!

Now I can look forward to running my ST into the ground as unless Ford have a change of heart and bring back the "real" ST this is the only one I'll own. And I had so hoped they might have done a cheap to make RS to see it out by just slinging in the Focus engine.

Anyway, car handles like new again so happy days!
Puma ST Agate Black
Smalls82

Post by Smalls82 »

The Monkey Man wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 pm FIXED....FINALLY!!!!

I asked a couple of times for the name of the part replaced but on both times I got the following "We have replaced the shaft that goes from the rack to the motor" Make of that what you will, but my 18 month journey to get to the bottom of the steering noise and knocking is finally at an end!

Now I can look forward to running my ST into the ground as unless Ford have a change of heart and bring back the "real" ST this is the only one I'll own. And I had so hoped they might have done a cheap to make RS to see it out by just slinging in the Focus engine.

So did they replace the near side strut top mount which they had identified as being noisy as mentioned in your previous post? Mine has just started making a slight noise from the passenger side when I go to full right lock at very low speed but is fine at normal driving speed. Do ford not class this stuff as wear and tear? I’m new to this owning a vehicle that still has a manufacturer warranty on it business!
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Smalls82 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:53 am
The Monkey Man wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:39 pm FIXED....FINALLY!!!!

So did they replace the near side strut top mount which they had identified as being noisy as mentioned in your previous post? Mine has just started making a slight noise from the passenger side when I go to full right lock at very low speed but is fine at normal driving speed. Do ford not class this stuff as wear and tear? I’m new to this owning a vehicle that still has a manufacturer warranty on it business!
I'm not sure as the answer I got was as I have posted. I know they had it up on the ramps and whilst it was there for the top mounts, the mech spotted the issue with the vague named shaft and wanted to replace that too.

What I will say is don't give up. If you really believe something is amiss, then you need to keep taking it in to check. I took 18 months to resolve mine as it just wouldn't repeat the issue at the garage.
Puma ST Agate Black