Steering Noises

Ford Puma ST Chat
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

As with all intermittent defects it's best to record the noise so there can be no dealer denial.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.

Mike

Post by Mike »

reddevil wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:51 pm Hi,

Just following on from your post last year about the weird "ping" noise on the steering wheel. Did you ever go back to Ford with the problem?

I am currently in a battle with my local dealer about this issue, they have had the car in three times and changed numerous parts but the noise is still there. They are now saying that this is a "characteristic of the car" which is just not true as it didn't have the noise when I first picked it up, they replaced the steering column and it stopped for approx. 2.5k miles, why did they try and fix it if it was supposed to make a noise and even their sales manager told me they shouldn't make that noise!

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall - any advice appreciated.
try a different dealer or contact ford direct
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

They don't deny there is a noise, you only have to move the wheel slightly to hear it but because they can't fix it they are trying to tell me it's norma for an ST. I know it's not.

Ford are also now involved but getting nowhere fast.

Replacement of the steering column did stop the noise but only temporarily. Not sure where I go from here, maybe another dealer could be an option.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Hello All,

21000 miles later and I can confirm the "Ping" never went away aside from those few weeks after the steering column was replaced and all the grief that entailed. With all the dry weather the creaking at low speed stopping whilte turning is back so I suspect that is indeed a dry bush or something.
Could be nothing related, but I do always have the car with as much of the nanny state cack as possible turned off. That also means I have the lane assist totally off...."maybe" it is something to do with that, who knows but I'm way past caring at this point and suspect the steering column replacement was a waste of time. If enough of these make these funny noises then by default it is a quirk of the car.
I extended my warranty to 5 years at purchase as I bought it outright, so if it is something down the road I've still 3.5 years it's on their dime.
There are no sensations from the steering that shoulddn't be there though I should point out, by that I have no knock or anything else, just a weird "Ping" and the creak after long dry spells.
Last edited by The Monkey Man on Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

"Replacement of the steering column did stop the noise but only temporarily"

Snap!
Puma ST Agate Black
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Thanks for your reply, sound just the same as the issue I have. I'm trying to work out if it bothers me enough to go through all the pain of dealing with Ford!

Love the car apart from the "ping" that's the annoying thing!

Thanks all.
dnd

Post by dnd »

Mine has just started doing this at 9600 miles. I think it might be to do with the turn signals.
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

Car is in right now. As usual it wouldn't make the noises on demand, but during inspection it seems a couple of the bolts related to the rack can come loose due to weld points on some cars and is one of the newer known issues they check for. Mine were a bit loose and have been tightened, so look forward to seeing the result.
Front tyre has worn out so made it to 23000 miles which ain't too bad! Brake fluid being changed too as it was having a service anyway.
Puma ST Agate Black
The Monkey Man

Post by The Monkey Man »

lol... dealers blew my tyres up to 38psi all round during the service.

Had an independent fit a new pair of Sport Contact 7s today and they put the fronts at 38psi (probs just like for liked them) so guess I'll have to deflate them all a bit!

What I wondered was if they checked my driving history, as in the user manual whilst it states regular use pressures of 32 front & 26 rear, prolonged use over 100mph 38 front 35 rear !
Puma ST Agate Black
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Can't wait to hear....did they fix the "ping" during your latest visit to the dealer?