Fuel Issue Maybe

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
DRJONES

Post by DRJONES »

Hi

Just recently bought a Ford Puma ST 1.5lt.

As of yesterday the amount of mileage I am getting out of the tank has decreased.

If it says I have 200 miles left before refilling and do 40 mile journey and by end of it it says I have 140 miles.

The trip computer is calculating about 40 ish mpg. But it seems to be burning a bit more fuel then that or that's my feeling . I done 80 miles yesterday and done 1/4 of a tank.

I have checked for leaks , can not see any and can not smell any petrol fumes.

Any ideas what this could be .

One further thing when I drove back today the fuel burn for the 40 mile trip and miles left before running out seemed correct.

Cheers

DJ

Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Confirm by doing a tank to tank check. Litres into gallons, divide by 4.546. Then mileage between both fills and get your real mpg. Do it a couple of times to get a more accurate figure and try use the same fuel pump.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
DRJONES

Post by DRJONES »

Thank you , I will give that a try
kevmond

Post by kevmond »

FYI, I get anywhere between 300-400 miles per tank. The latter value being during "Fuel crisis".
White ST with Performance pack.
Deleted User 878

Post by Deleted User 878 »

I'm getting about 300-350ish from a tank.
80 miles from quarter tank seems on target depending on how you drive.
The miles left does fluctuate depending on how and where your driving....motorway, town or racing down the back roads.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I'm not sure anyone should set much store in the results of the computer estimates. There are far too many variables for it to be an exact science.
At the end of the day the car needs to go from A to B and it needs fuel to achieve it. Constantly checking mpg is one stress I can do without.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

DrJones, are we talking a new ST and one with low mileage? . If so I wouldn't get so excited on fuel consumption just yet. Give it a chance to settle and more importantly for you to get used to the car. It's an ST after all so don't expect that much. If your really that concerened on fuel consumption then maybe an ST isn't for you.
I have had various Ford performance cars, my last a Focus RS MK3 I was lucky to get 23mpg.
So driving my Puma ST in sport mode (more often than not) using E5 fuel I am actually chuffed with my average of 32mpg.😊 (300+ miles per tank).
Danny1

Post by Danny1 »

Rays1 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:31 pm DrJones, are we talking a new ST and one with low mileage? . If so I wouldn't get so excited on fuel consumption just yet. Give it a chance to settle and more importantly for you to get used to the car. It's an ST after all so don't expect that much. If your really that concerened on fuel consumption then maybe an ST isn't for you.
I have had various Ford performance cars, my last a Focus RS MK3 I was lucky to get 23mpg.
So driving my Puma ST in sport mode (more often than not) using E5 fuel I am actually chuffed with my average of 32mpg.😊 (300+ miles per tank).
Absolutely bang on Ray!
I have a Fiesta ST PE and it's the fuel efficient car I have owned, Its remapped with some other mods and still kicks out an average of 32mpg!
Fiesta ST Performance Edition, Puma ST Frozen White, Performance pack, power tailgate and Pan roof dark wheels
Alan321

Post by Alan321 »

The top quarter on the fuel gauge in mine goes down slower than the next, then the two bottom ones go down quick.