lets solve the Megabox size discussion

All Ford Puma related discussions
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

@Rizmo ?
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

@Sinless ?
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

My 2020 Puma had the rectangular mega box. My 2021 Vignale has the square box. Space saver wheel fits the Vignale but not the 2020 model.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Rizmo wrote: ↑Tue May 30, 2023 2:58 pm My 2020 Puma had the rectangular mega box. My 2021 Vignale has the square box. Space saver wheel fits the Vignale but not the 2020 model.
Thanks Rizmo....Just wondering if they changed it again for latest models.....I'm not interested in a space saver (have Ford Assist for those moments.. :D )
Rizmo

Post by Rizmo »

Avoiding the use of the dreaded Ford tyre gunge can save you the cost of a new tyre as those Continentals are not cheap.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I wouldn't use that either.....The AA (Ford Assist) would sort it.....Β£140ish each, I've already replaced two with unrepairable punctures. One was a large hole, the other a large piece of metal (unrepairable). First one fixed on my drive, second one assisted to tyre shop by AA for a new tyre.
PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Tommo56 wrote: ↑Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:25 am Remember guys, as a woman once said to me, its not the size that matters, it's what you do with it that counts !
so she lied to you :D
Ford Puma St-Line X first edition full options
..... Desert Island Blue.....
MikeyD

Post by MikeyD »

So, how big is the Megabox?
I've seen some answers giving litres and I wondered why it was a bit vague but now I know a bit more. Simple answer is it's not a cube.
As far as I know, this only applies to new 1.0L (125/155hp) cars as early models had a smaller box and the 1.5 ST may also be different.
At the top, it's 610mm, or 24", or 2ft in both directions. However in some places it's slightly more as the "sides" are not completely flat. I measured the minimum.
At the bottom it's hard to measure but definitely not as big as at the top of the box. And the bottom has radiused corners left and right and at the front there is a bit of a slope.
So, the whole hole gets slightly smaller the further down it goes.

If you want to know what size spare wheel to get mine in it's cover is a 125/70 R17 which equates to 23.9" diameter and is very snug and doesn't quite reach the bottom of the box by about 2", although it would never hit the bottom anyway even if the sides of the box were 24" all the way down because of the slope mentioned above. There is still loads of space above though. I'm happy with it as Ill put the jack etc under it but in hindsight I could have gone 125/70 R16.
A 16" space saver wheel such as a 125/70 R16 (as suggested by @lightfoot in another thread) will probably work better, and will be absolutely fine on a car fitted with 17/18" on the other corners to get you home. According to tyre size calculation sites it's about 23" diameter.

But the important thing is don't assume any 16" or a 17" will fit, as that's the rim size so it's important to check the overall diameter as the tyre width and aspect ratio changes things a lot. A 16" normal type might not fit but a very low profile 18" might.

Some pics..

PXL_20230620_175632120.jpg

PXL_20230620_175849217.jpg

PXL_20230620_175914668.jpg

2023 Puma ST line 155
Stoopo

Post by Stoopo »

Rizmo wrote: ↑Tue May 30, 2023 7:27 pm Avoiding the use of the dreaded Ford tyre gunge can save you the cost of a new tyre as those Continentals are not cheap.
I think the gunge issue is a bit of an urban myth. I got pulled up over saying this the other week, googled it and it seems it’s not difficult to remove unless you use the cheap stuff that supermarkets sell.

It might bake an extra few minutes but it can be removed without damaging the tyre.
Puma Frozen White ST Line X 155 Winter Pack & Driver Assistance Pack.
Vendee

Post by Vendee »

MikeyD wrote: ↑Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:49 pm
A 16" space saver wheel such as a 125/70 R16 (as suggested by @lightfoot in another thread) will probably work better, and will be absolutely fine on a car fitted with 17/18" on the other corners to get you home. According to tyre size calculation sites it's about 23" diameter.

That's what I have got and the tyre does go all the way to the floor with the tread just touching on all sides. As the space saver is so skinny, it still gives you a fair bit of room above it in the megabox.
Puma ST Line Vignale 125, DAP Magnetic