Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

No problem at all 👍🏻

If you plan on putting any dressing on plastic trim or tyres etc, you can cut up your demoted sponge into suitable sized pieces and use those - good alternative to dedicated applicators and much cheaper to replace.

Sponges are unforgiving on paintwork if they get grit in there. Just by swapping out to a noodle will make a difference.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,

Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

What confuses me is I was always led to believe it was a bad idea to use a pressure washer on a car (in case it pushed grit across the paintwork or something I guess) but it seems to be the thing to do from reading on here and google results

I have a Karcher, but would never of thought to risk using it on the car tbh
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

NeilS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:22 pm If you plan on putting any dressing on plastic trim or tyres etc, you can cut up your demoted sponge into suitable sized pieces and use those - good alternative to dedicated applicators and much cheaper to replace.
Foam paint rollers on a handle work a treat too.
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

tonyt2021 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm What confuses me is I was always led to believe it was a bad idea to use a pressure washer on a car (in case it pushed grit across the paintwork or something I guess) but it seems to be the thing to do from reading on here and google results

I’ve had a K4 for years and now have a K5 to keep it company. I’ve never had an issue with causing any damage. I have however seen people use the dirt blaster lance on paintwork which is an obvious bad move. Whether I’m using the standard adjustable Karcher lance or my aftermarket short gun with various extension lances and nozzles, I still don’t get close enough to cause damage. I stand further back (or turn down the pressure) when doing the wing mirrors, bumpers and alloys to avoid dislodging anything.

Obviously if the car has any damaged areas, flaking alloy lacquer etc, then caution should be taken.

Try to use the pressure washer lance at an angle to push along the panel, not into directly onto it if that makes sense?

If in doubt, stand back and move closer until you’re comfortable with the pressure.👍🏻
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Wdf76 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:13 pm Foam paint rollers on a handle work a treat too.
Good idea 👍🏻

I’ve seen foam stuck to the end of sticks for grilles and intricate areas at silly prices. Put the words “detailing” or “valeting” in the description and that adds ££££
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

NeilS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:27 pm
tonyt2021 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:26 pm What confuses me is I was always led to believe it was a bad idea to use a pressure washer on a car (in case it pushed grit across the paintwork or something I guess) but it seems to be the thing to do from reading on here and google results

I’ve had a K4 for years and now have a K5 to keep it company. I’ve never had an issue with causing any damage. I have however seen people use the dirt blaster lance on paintwork which is an obvious bad move. Whether I’m using the standard adjustable Karcher lance or my aftermarket short gun with various extension lances and nozzles, I still don’t get close enough to cause damage. I stand further back (or turn down the pressure) when doing the wing mirrors, bumpers and alloys to avoid dislodging anything.

Obviously if the car has any damaged areas, flaking alloy lacquer etc, then caution should be taken.

Try to use the pressure washer lance at an angle to push along the panel, not into directly onto it if that makes sense?

If in doubt, stand back and move closer until you’re comfortable with the pressure.👍🏻
Thanks. Mine is a K4 I bought about 5 1/2 years ago, but not used for at least a couple of years so will have to check it still works!
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

A pleasure to help out 😆
Bluebrazil

Post by Bluebrazil »

I have just bought the k5 to do some cleaning of slabs I will use it on the car with the snow foam dispenser that I bought as an add on I will keep the pressure low as I don't want to do any damage to the bodywork
ST line X Agate Black 20.25 :D
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

The Karcher club 👍🏻
Deleted User 229

Post by Deleted User 229 »

I don't have an outside tap that works, so I use a cordless Worx Hydroshot. Ideal for wetting and rinsing the car and applying foam etc. as it is low(ish) power. A couple of 10 litre buckets is more than enough for a good wash.