Car cleaning and valeting discussion

The place to discuss everything else..
paulcurtis

Post by paulcurtis »

Well, quite, you get what you pay for. The ones I bought were not cheap, and came recommended.
2020 Puma ST-Line X Vignale 1.0L Ecoboost 125PS 7 Speed Auto - Black

NeilS

Post by NeilS »

paulcurtis wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:33 am
Blimey Neil, you are clearly the master at this. Just thinking about your effort puts me to shame and makes me feel tired.

I suppose if the hose provides a good pressure (as mine does) and does a good job of wetting the car and then washing soap off, I see no reason to use the pressure washer. I tend to think of that as something you use when you want to force dirt and grime away from a surface, but then I worry that you are also forcing water into places you ideally don't want it. Or you can use it to do a quick job. Of course pressure washers often have two or more pressure settings or lances.

Yes, I am talking about drying the car. It seems to me a damp chamois leaves a streak free finish, and the microfibre doesn't. Or, I need to take most of the water off with one microfibre, and finish with the second one. And even then the results aren't that good. But it could be me, or the particular cloths I am using.

The only thing I don't like about the chamois is that it can't be machine washed, and I worry it harbours particles of grime. I try to hand wash it as well as I can.
Haha. No need to feel ashamed, we all have our quirky ways. I wouldn’t wish my obsessive behaviour on anyone as it’s a burden sometimes. There’s plenty of people out there worse than me, as I’d consider myself a novice.

In my opinion, there’s no substitute for a pressure washer, but then some would say otherwise. A hose with good pressure on a car that’s been well protected can do a good job. A hose would struggle to shift grime from a really dirty car. The ideal would be to remove as much in the pre wash before even laying your hands on the car. Some products however, do require it to be either put through a foam lance/washer or rinsed off with a pressure washer (Autoglym’s Polar Seal for example)

I use an angled lance with quick release nozzles. The angled lance is so that I’m never spraying straight onto a panel, and the interchangeable nozzles are of varying degree orifices which also alter the pressure as well as the spray angle (great for wheel arches, door shuts etc)

Chamois leather/synthetics were all the rage once (as was using sponges). Now both seem to be frowned on. I agree with the sponge but still think chamois leathers have their place. There’s no doubt that they dry cars quickly and effectively, able to be wrung out and reused over and over. However, there are arguments as you’ve identified that they are not forgiving if they pick up a little grit as it can induce a scratch. I used one for years obliviously ignorant to this and didn’t notice anything to suggest otherwise. It was only reading/watching videos that made me change - maybe I’m guilty of falling into the marketing trap.

I still have a synthetic chamois that I use on windows and drying “select” cars for friends/family where they just want a clean car and aren’t worried about the paintwork - plus it’s quick and easy. I’ve never washed it, just rinse it thoroughly and let it dry naturally.

Microfibre drying towels are apparently safer (and dry better if dampened first) due to their deeper pile and this is my current preferred method. If the car has a previous level of protection there, drying should be easier, or you could use a quick detailer/drying aid spray which greatly helps the water bead up and run off.

I can use one towel to dry pretty most bar the lower third, door shuts and wheels. I use separate ones for each of those to avoid cross contamination. I then use another to catch any drips on completion. This is based on the cars in the household already having the aforementioned protection on there as most of the final rinse water runs off on its own. I use a combination of placing/patting, to placing/dragging from the corners to folding and lightly passing on panels.

Autoglym do a range of drying cloths, a couple being of “chamois” style short pile and get raving reviews. I’ve got their hi tech microfibre that I used on the paintwork. It now gets used on the door shuts - not because it was bad, but because I felt it had seen better days. I’m looking to try their instadry next on a guinea pig wash (the mother in laws car) where the paintwork isn’t so important.

Sounds hard work but I don’t even think about it now.
sinlessUK wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:33 pm @NeilS - What polisher you got or do you do it by hand?
I’m currently a hand polisher as fortunately the cars in the house are all in really good condition (so no need to chase perfection or do a full detail) and just need a cleanse once/twice yearly. SRP (or any other all in one) does a fine job for having a slight cut with some filling agents as well a degree of wax for short term protection. I’ve been toying with getting a DA polisher and using the guinea pig car again to test/practice on just so I can get it out of my system.

Sorry for the long post again guys. Tell me to wind it in. I won’t take offence 😆
Last edited by NeilS on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnetic ST Line X FE. HFPT, Panoramic roof, DAP, Fixed LED, 19” Alloys,
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

Took me so long to type I missed the other replies......sorry if I’ve duplicated comments from anyone else. 😇
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

⬆️ All great advice 👍 ⬆️

Nothing more needs to be added imo...

👋👋👋
Deleted User 361

Post by Deleted User 361 »

NeilS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm Took me so long to type I missed the other replies......sorry if I’ve duplicated comments from anyone else. 😇
What do you use in place of a sponge please? Or does a snow foam do all the heavy lifting?
Deleted User 361

tonyt2021 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm
NeilS wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:11 pm Took me so long to type I missed the other replies......sorry if I’ve duplicated comments from anyone else. 😇
What do you use in place of a sponge please? Or does a snow foam do all the heavy lifting?
Googling suggests I should be using a wash mitt instead of a sponge?
alanp

Post by alanp »

I can’t believe you’re going to try something new on your mum in laws car.....you like to live life on the edge don’t you😀
St line x 1st edition, it has nearly everything
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

alanp wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm I can’t believe you’re going to try something new on your mum in laws car.....you like to live life on the edge don’t you😀
Ha ha haaaaa.... 😂🤣😂
NeilS

Post by NeilS »

tonyt2021 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:29 pm What do you use in place of a sponge please? Or does a snow foam do all the heavy lifting?
Snow foam alone won’t shift everything, although there are brands that shift more than others. It’s designed to loosen and soften as much as possible, making the pressure rinse easier. The pre wash/rinse is important as it removes as much as possible prior to a minimal contact wash. My wash and rinse buckets are nearly as clean at the end as they were at the start due to a thorough pre wash.

The term “contactless” wash is often used, which leads people to think you can clean a car without touching it. It should really be “contact less” Some brands come close without actually claiming it can be done. AG Polar range is one such product but even they suggest to agitate the product (Polar Wash). Bilt Hamber do a new range of pre wash and wash. Even if you went down the AG Polar Range for example and decided against agitating (with a mitt etc) the car would still need drying unless you have access to a warm air dryer or a resin water filter system to give it a final rinse and left to air dry . I wouldn’t be happy drying the car (thus having contact with it) if I haven’t ensured I’d cleaned it properly with a contact wash.

There’s loads of wash mitts out there, from microfibre, chenille “noodles” to pure lambs wool. I use a microfibre madness incredipad for the main, a Kent car care microfibre noodle for the lower third and synthetic wash mitts for the wheels.

You can’t go wrong with a noodle style wash mitt or pad depending on whether you prefer to hold it or put your hand inside. They are safe, long lasting and washable.
alanp wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 pm I can’t believe you’re going to try something new on your mum in laws car.....you like to live life on the edge don’t you😀
I always experiment on her car with products.....all with her blessing of course 🤫
Deleted User 361

@NeilS many thanks for the advise

Will use a mitt instead of a sponge as a starter and take it from there