Can’t unlock from passenger side

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
Duncraig

Post by Duncraig »

Wdf76 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:56 pm You could disconnect the battery overnight and measure voltage the following morning. At least you'll rule out a drain through one of the cars systems.

I had deep sleep mode once during lockdown. Ford pass alerted me to it. I had not started or moved the car in 3 weeks or so.

I have not had any issues since.
New quality battery, VARTA installed in place of the Rombat one under warranty when the battery was determined to be at fault.
It lost 50% charge in a little over 17 hours as verified by the Dealer

No errors and the warning that appeared on the screen every morning after unlocking no longer appears.
The Technician admitted there have been battery warranty issues on cars, not just Pumas. VARTA is the battery Ford always supply to cure the problem.
Just need Surround Sound fix applied after Ford have finish testing it.

IMG_4066.jpeg

Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Great stuff. You're almost there. I'm gonna check which battery I have.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

I reckon lockdown's had quite an impact on 12V batteries! Cars not being driven, sitting at dealers for extended periods of time. I keep mine in top shape with a CTEK MXS-5 with recon option. Highly recommend:
https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk
Duncraig

Post by Duncraig »

Chocky wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:13 pm I reckon lockdown's had quite an impact on 12V batteries! Cars not being driven, sitting at dealers for extended periods of time. I keep mine in top shape with a CTEK MXS-5 with recon option. Highly recommend:
https://www.ctek.com/uk/products/car/mxs-5-0-uk
Sorry but I use my Puma every day and at the previous visit to the dealer they fully charged it and 17 hours later it was down to 50% charge.
I think in this day and age a car should hold charge for more that 24 hours, hence the new battery. I have a Lidl CTEK clone and use it on my BMW Z3 once a fortnight if it's not been driven but when I hook it up the voltage is still 12.5 V so there are batteries that can hold charge, in this case a Halford's one fitted more than 3 years ago by the previous owner.
Chocky

Post by Chocky »

You've missed my point. I'm suggesting the battery in your car was already heavily sulfated before you took ownership. No matter what the make/quality it will never hold a full charge again.
Duncraig

Post by Duncraig »

Chocky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:07 am You've missed my point. I'm suggesting the battery in your car was already heavily sulfated before you took ownership. No matter what the make/quality it will never hold a full charge again.
My car was a December build, registered early January, used as a demonstrator and company car by the salesman. He was sorry to lose it as he loved driving it so it hadn’t sat about anywhere. Surely a modern battery won’t sulphate is a month? No, Rombat batteries seem to be problematic and it would be nice to see how many “Deep Sleepers” have Rombat as opposed to VARTA.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Think my battery is a wombat. There are no stickers on the top like your varta. I don't fancy pulling it out to check.

I had one deep sleep episode back in the first lockdown, after my car hadn't been touched in a fortnight.

Been right as rain since then. Jan build, Feb delivery.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Wdf76 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:30 am Think my battery is a wombat. There are no stickers on the top like your varta. I don't fancy pulling it out to check.

I had one deep sleep episode back in the first lockdown, after my car hadn't been touched in a fortnight.

Been right as rain since then. Jan build, Feb delivery.
If it's a Wombat then you are in trouble..... :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Wdf76

Post by Wdf76 »

Sparks wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:46 am
If it's a Wombat then you are in trouble..... :lol:
🤣It has not yet let me down.
Pumanic

Post by Pumanic »

My car is currently at the dealer for investigations.
Deep sleep mode
Doors not unlocking
Radio turning off
Stop start disabled

All related to a drained battery but no answers why.