On the lookout for a Puma ST

New to the Ford Puma Forums? Introduce yourself here

Post by 4251 »

LePatrick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pm Ok...finally managed to drive both cars...I went to see one with LSD (the car...not me) at the weekend and one without today. Yes, there is a difference but I don't think it is really pronounced. The car handles beautifully at the limit and I was lucky (on both occasions) to be given the keys without supervision. I think the car needs more power to warrant the LSD. I think another 50bhp.

One last point, I was surprised that both cars I saw had condensation on the rear light. Is it something common? The dealer seems to imply that they all do it...but he had a few pumas that did not have this issue.
The main advantage isn’t directly related to performance but to the extra traction you get out of slippery corners and steering control. Also traction pulling away up hills with a bit of weight in the back is hugely/massively improved. Yes there is pseudo brake activated traction but it’s much inferior. Personally I wouldn’t be without it if it’s available, be ticked well before useless things like glass sunroof’s etc.

Rays1

Post by Rays1 »

LePatrick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 pm Ok...finally managed to drive both cars...I went to see one with LSD (the car...not me) at the weekend and one without today. Yes, there is a difference but I don't think it is really pronounced. The car handles beautifully at the limit and I was lucky (on both occasions) to be given the keys without supervision. I think the car needs more power to warrant the LSD. I think another 50bhp.

One last point, I was surprised that both cars I saw had condensation on the rear light. Is it something common? The dealer seems to imply that they all do it...but he had a few pumas that did not have this issue.
Much like the windows on an passenger aircraft the rear lens on the Puma has a tiny hole in order to stabilise temp and mositure allowing any condensation to easily disapate. So yes some misting it is common on the Pumas rear lens. In a aircraft the tiny hole is only present on the interior cabin transparency and obviously not in the external pressure window. Nevertheless the result are the similar... Condensation is kept to a minimum.
Denty1964

Post by Denty1964 »

4251 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:33 pm

The main advantage isn’t directly related to performance but to the extra traction you get out of slippery corners and steering control. Also traction pulling away up hills with a bit of weight in the back is hugely/massively improved. Yes there is pseudo brake activated traction but it’s much inferior. Personally I wouldn’t be without it if it’s available, be ticked well before useless things like glass sunroof’s etc.
[/quote

In your humble opinion I guess.
Full fat ST in fantastic red, pan roof and electric tailgate.
Ron240

Post by Ron240 »

LePatrick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 pmThanks...is it covered by warranty?
Misting that clears itself is not covered by warranty, but when water droplets form inside the lens then this usually is.
2023 Puma ST (1.5 200PS), Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
Mike

Post by Mike »

mine used to get misting in the front lights after washing it, disappeared fairly quickly, never the rear though?

regarding the LSD for me it would come down to the condition of the cars/ price - if very similar go for the LSD one, ultimately it comes down to personal preference and driving style, it might also be worth more when you come to sell it.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
LePatrick

Post by LePatrick »

I went to see a car yesterday and it was a "minger".

I have to preface this by saying that I am super picky when I buy a car. I usually take between 3 to 6 months to find the car that I want (colour, options ...and price!).

The car in question was not particularly cheap for a 2-year-old PUMA ST (good price on Autotrader). It was at a car supermarket and I was told that the car was fully prep and ready to go. It had passed their checks and was perfect.

I had a quick glance at the ad on my phone and decided to drop by to have a look as it was on my way.

The car had a few stone chips, and scratches on the windscreen. I was quite surprised as this could have been easily fixed as part of the prep. I thought for 2mn that the car had not been prepped until they proudly pointed at the front tyres saying that they had fitted new ones....not Michelin as you would expect on this performance pack car but the famous tyres from "Triangle" (I had to google them too...they are budget tyres). While I was admiring their addition to the car, I also noticed that there was different wear on the front discs (1 was nearly new and the other had some wear as it was starting to lip). I asked them if they had changed only one disc and the salesman did not know...I went to the back of the car to check the rear disc and the pads were shot and started to score the discs. I also noticed while I was there that the exhaust was peppered with rust dots....but the weird thing is that there was no rust on anything else under the car (is it a part quality issue or something else....).

The search continues ...
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Such a shame when people let their cars go like that.
I wouldn't touch any motor from a car 'supermarket'. We have one nearby and I know someone who worked there when it first opened. He left after 3 months because of the sharp practices and the state of the cars they were selling.
The salesmen know nothing about the individual cars they sell and the servicing consists of just getting it up to basics.
To be honest if the previous owner (may have been a lease or worse). had left it in that state after 2 years then it's obviously been abused.
Good luck in your search.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.